PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile to install Stud Girdle kit on 99 with 175,000 miles?

jspringator
11-05-2004, 06:05
I have the kit, but would have to pay to get it installed. If it hasn't cracked in 175,000 miles, does this mean anything about its likelihood of cracking in the future?

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2004, 06:51
James--see if you can get the Clevite Kid to weigh in on this.
It's my understanding that a certain amount of wear/decay occurs to the metallic grain structure as stresses are withstood. The noise of the diesel results, as Dr Lee notes, from structural vibrations of the block/head castings coupling to the air and our eardrums. At some point minor 'dislocations' (atoms slide out of position in the crystal of the grain) grow into tiny, then larger cracks. There is a field of study/enterprise called 'nondestructive testing , including X-raying expensive metallic structures, which monitors the development of such cracks.

I would advise to install the girdle, or splayed main caps ... I hope do do so on mine.

Keith Richards
11-07-2004, 12:58
This may seem redundant,but if so many cracked blocks occur why the hell couldnt GM have come up with a stock kit to help prevent this from happening?Seems it would be alot cheaper than covering warranteed engine replacements all those years.It seems a very common problem.I am going to flip if this happens to my diesel,you can get alot of miles out of a gas engine these days,let alone a diesel.I guess well just have to keep our fingers crossed,or install a kit.

David_Jennings
11-08-2004, 15:35
While on the topic, can anyone answer whether the engine has to be removed to install the girdle? Nice preventative measure if you can do it without removing the engine. Otherwise, I'd prefer to wait until it goes and put it in on the new one.

jspringator
11-08-2004, 16:52
My understanding is that you have to either drop the differential or lift the engine so you can get the oil pan off. If this one goes, I am getting one with the AM General block, which would make the kit unnecessary.