PDA

View Full Version : Need more air!(my 1st post)

DinoMax
05-20-2003, 17:18
These questions may be old, but I am a newbie, so bear with me. I am currently running the predator, v1.04, and have a 4" exhaust installed. I do not have any gauges (yet), and I do not tow anything. I usually run in the 60 or 85 hp mode with the predator. Is it safe to cut holes in the stock airbox, and is the OEM filter OK? Also, is running at these settings safe w/out gauges? I live in So. Florida, and the weather is always HOT! I look forward to sharing info. Thanks, DinoMax

sdaver
05-20-2003, 19:47
use the search function lots of good information about swissed cheese air boxes and filters............along with the k&n vs amsoil air filter debate...............get some guages............and by the way welcome. :D dave

mackin
05-20-2003, 19:49
Welcome Dinomax ....

Sounds like you have a nice truck ... First off I would recommend getting gauges as it is always important when running any type of performance enhancements ... But at least your not towing so it's important not a panic situation ...

The stock air box is real restrictive ... Most have drilled holes in their airbox BELOW the filter ... You will get more air flow which will result in less turbo lag ... To fold if you dump the 55 gallon choking muffler also ...

Some have Swiss cheesed their airbox but I fell really it's the wrong approach to draw air from the hot engine compartment ... I drilled only the front with a big hole saw ... Two holes approx. 2" ....

As far as element if you don't plan on changing completely to a different air inlet like a AFE I would recommend a Amsoil II stage ...It is a foam element with some tacky azz oil, often referred to as an "oily couch cushion",flows quite well,good filtering qualities ...I had good luck with mine and I have it back on for undisclosed reasons ... ;) Not cause of an issue with the AFE,which I prefer and run myself ... The AFE is also a nice setup but pricey and I wouldn't recommend running without a nylon wrap good to 5 micron filtering ...

Good luck

Mac :D :D :D

[ 05-20-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Hound
05-20-2003, 20:56
DinoMax,

I saw about 1350 degrees on the 85hp setting with the Predator v1.04. It was a 50 to 75 romp downshift and all, I backed out of it at that point. The highest I've seen so far on the 60hp is 1250 degrees. The 100 hp was 1400 degrees. I am running stock exhaust though and have concluded that the 60 hp is safest for the way I drive. Welcome and have fun. smile.gif

Desert Diesel
05-20-2003, 21:34
Hound,

I'm not trying to start anything but those numbers sure seem high.

I tow at 19,000 GCVW with 340 hp at the rear wheels per the Dyno and have yet to see more than 1279

Hound
05-20-2003, 21:57
DesertDiesel, No arguement here. Those numbers seemed quite high to me too. My truck was empty. That's why I have set the 60hp setting as my limit. I can't see romping on it to pass someone and being up in the 1400 degree range. Running 65-75 I am seeing 600 degrees to about 750 degrees. The high egt's may have a lot to do with my stock exhaust?

Kennedy
05-21-2003, 07:43
The EGT's are higher yet in 100HP. Exhaust will help somewhat. Gauges are very critical here!

Hound
05-21-2003, 09:40
JK, I don't doubt that the 100 hp egt's go even higher than the 1400 degrees that I saw. I backed off at that point, as I didn't want to see exactly where the temp ended up. :eek: I'm looking to keep this thing running for a loooong time, as it is my daily driver, vice making it an all out hotrod.

WhiteDuramax
05-21-2003, 10:14
I havent seen higher than 900 post turbo readings with the Predator on 100hp setting. I am strait piped and have airbox mods also.

Hound
05-21-2003, 10:19
Just to clarify, my egt probe is an Autometer mounted pre turbo in a Mackin sort of way. :D
Also the temps were from runs made when the outside temps were in the mid 50's.

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: Hound ]</p>

DinoMax
05-21-2003, 10:36
Thanks for all the great info, guys smile.gif sdaver, the search function worked great. Maybe we can start the k&n/amsoil filter debate all over :rolleyes:
seriously, though, I think I will make some airbox mods this weekend. I don't think I'll be trying the 100hp setting on the Predator again until I get some gauges though. The EGT's everyone else seems to be getting sound pretty high. Thanks again, this forum is great.

Kennedy
05-21-2003, 12:17
Probe location and response time play a BIG factor into max readings. Try 1500+ pre turbo with a 1/16" diameter probe. When I stack, I see near 1800