PDA

View Full Version : Banks Monster on a DMAX

gassedracing
08-24-2003, 19:59
I'm thinking about the Banks Monster Exhaust for my DMax, but I am unfortunate enough to have a Catalytic Converter. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if in Tucson, AZ they will actually check for the presence of the Cat. Conv. during emission time? Anyone in Phoenix with experience with this?

2. I talked to the Banks guy (Todd) who was really cool. He couldn't suggest I ditch the Cat. Conv, but be did say that I could get the full exhaust and bolt the back half of the full exhaust to the Cat. Conv. flange. If this is true, then I would be able to keep the downtube and Cat. Conv. from the stock crap and swap it out before going through emissions, and run it wide open the rest of the year. Does anyone have any experience with this full exhaust? Does it have a flange for the back half of the exhast?

Thanks!
Greg

ndamico
08-24-2003, 20:20
Many people have removed the CAT from EGR equipped vehicles. i know Kalifornia doesn't test diesels smile.gif

the back half of the banks exhaust is the same for the cat and no-cat version. so yes you can keep the majority of it should you decide to re-install the kitty cat..

DMAX Daddy
08-24-2003, 20:56
As soon as the wife gets home off a business trip Im doing the Cat-ectomy to mine. I have the Cat back, just got the downpipe and a Bighead Wastegate Actuator. Lookin for more fun smile.gif

ndamico
08-25-2003, 10:08
yup my cat sits in the back yard collecting rust :D

oyazi
08-25-2003, 22:21
Nick ~ Kalifornia is short on dough. If liberals get in again ~ that kitty cat may no longer collect dust.

VWLURE
08-26-2003, 00:58
Had a Cat. and live in Cali. I put the Banks kit for without Cat. and it works great. I keep my Cat. and put it in the rafters in the garage just incase.

Greg McCall
08-26-2003, 05:57
Cat Vs No Cat
So what is the result difference ?

tjc
08-27-2003, 11:18
gassedracing

I don't think you have to worry about smog checks as they are not mandatory for (5 years?)in Pima and Maricopa Cty. You still have to pay the fee though,and have the option of getting it smogged. I live in Tucson, and have a 2000 Tahoe and 2002 Max. Neither have ever been to smog check.

tjc

Kennedy
08-27-2003, 12:20
Originally posted by ndamico:
yup my cat sits in the back yard collecting rust :D Is it REALLY rusty in the dry CA air?

I thought everybody was ranting about the OE system being stainless? :rolleyes:

gassedracing
08-27-2003, 13:49
Originally posted by tjc:
gassedracing

I don't think you have to worry about smog checks as they are not mandatory for (5 years?)in Pima and Maricopa Cty. You still have to pay the fee though,and have the option of getting it smogged. I live in Tucson, and have a 2000 Tahoe and 2002 Max. Neither have ever been to smog check.

tjc Thanks for the update. I went ahead and ordered the full system. It's at my front door right now and I'm stuck at work...oh the agony!!!

DIESEL 5
08-27-2003, 14:13
Nick are you sure that our diesel trucks don't need to pass smog in California ? cause I installed ATS DUALS and I dumped the cat the next day. :(

David

P.S I can't wait for your kit to arrive smile.gif