PDA

View Full Version : How much can I pull??

RWA II
08-24-2003, 23:30
My first real pull is coming up, and I need some info on the best way to do it. Normally I just pull around a little horse trailer for 6 round trip about 700 miles. The trailer is aluminum and mounts to the standard hitch.

The real deal is moving my 15000 lb Backhoe. Normally the charge is $500 for someone to move it for me, but I was wondering if I could do it myself. I am looking into a goose kneck for it, and I think I can economically do it considering how often I move it back and forth from home to Kerville.

The truck is bone stock right now, but if I need some juice I guess it would be a good time to invest. Can the suspension take the weight, or do I need a 1 ton? I know some of the guys around here tow some big stuff, so your advice and experience would be much appreciated. By the way the truck just broke 20k, so it should be ready.

RWA

Big Tow
08-25-2003, 06:40
I've done it in a totally stock '01. Well, I was running 265/75-16E tires which have a quite a bit more capacity than the little stockers. As long as you don't have to pull it through the mountains, you should be fine. It is going to want to run pretty high rpm in fourth unless you really get it rolling ie 70mph. If you run it slower, 55-60 in fourth, you will get about 5mpg but still that beats $500 to haul it. Just move the load so that most of the wieght is carried by the trailer and make sure the trailer brakes are up to snuff.

a64pilot
08-25-2003, 07:22
I pull a JD410 on a triple axle pintle hook trailer that is really designed to be pulled by a dump truck, Yes I am a one ton, but I think you will be fine if you pull a gooseneck. IMHO a triple pulls better than a tandem dually because the weight is more evenly spread out while a dual tandem manuevers better because there is not as much side load on the tires during turning.
I think you would be fine with a triple axle gooseneck if you get better tires for the truck. I belive that the tires are the limiting factor on a SRW truck.
Remember it's just my opinion ;)

TXAtty
08-25-2003, 12:56
RWA - Been pulling my backhoe between S.A. and Austin without any problems - 2500 CC D/A bone stock. I pull it with a 30' gooseneck with tandem axles - the combo weighing in at about 18,000#. I have had absolutely no problems other than the rear end squatting a bit too much if I put the backhoe to close to the front.

Big Tow
08-25-2003, 14:00
I think I would leave it stock. It isn't a race with that much wieght on anyway. If you add the Juice and an exhaust, you are going to really have to watch the gauges. If you leave it stock, no worries, just a little slower ;)

RWA II
08-25-2003, 14:21
Thanks for the replies. I did forget to mention that I had changed my tires though. Usually I refer my truck as stock since I don't have any engine upgrades. The tires are Dueler ATs 285/75/16's. Should I be concerned about the new tires since they are not E load rated?

RWA

TXAtty
08-25-2003, 15:35
I believe this thread will answer your question regarding tire size.
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005282