PDA

View Full Version : which filters have the magnet?

spongebob
02-05-2006, 11:20
i just changed the oil in my engine(1st time), engine has 2350 miles on it.. WOW did i get alot of metal in the drained oil..why didnt the filter catch this? and which filter has the magnet, cause the engine filter didnt..
im using AC filters..

DmaxMaverick
02-05-2006, 11:56
Only the Allison spin-on tranny filter has a magnet.

A lot of metal????
This out of the crankcase?
How much is a lot? Did you take pic's?

It is normal to get some casting/machining material on the first couple changes. If it's from the engine oil drain, it's before the filter, and no indication the filter wasn't filtering.

I'd suggest you do another change in about 1,000 miles and compare. Continue 1,000 mile changes until it is satisfactory.

spongebob
02-05-2006, 12:03
it looked like metal flakes, against a black drain pan..OK, ill drain it again..
just seems like if its in the oil, and the
oil goes through a filter, the filter should stop this stuff..
thanks for the reply and suggestions..

DmaxMaverick
02-05-2006, 12:17
If you have a fresh (low miles) filter in place, don't worry about the stuff you can see. It's the stuff you can't see that'll get you in trouble. This is where an oil analysis comes in.

What you found doesn't necessarily seem abnormal for a first change. I'd need more info and some pic's to have a more informed opinion.

The filter is after the oil pump. Unless all that stuff gets picked up, it won't get filtered. Most heavy sediment will settle in the sump and stay there until you drain it. The Duramax has a sub-pan (sump pan) that can be removed quite easily to get a real look at what is in there. As with most pan designs, the drain hole is recessed into the pan, and will retain some sediment, even after a thorough drain. I recommend a sub-pan removal, inspection and cleaning at a specific interval, like 100K (my intent in a couple weeks).

If you still have your old filter, cut it open and get a look at what it did filter. You may be surprised.

spongebob
02-05-2006, 12:23
good idea, ill cut it open..

Kennedy
02-07-2006, 07:42
I use a Filtermag on the outside of my engine, trans, and fuel filters with excellent results.

The results are visible:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Filtermag-OE-fuel.gif

Jim Brzozowski
02-07-2006, 10:25
soingebob, you have just experienced why everyone should change their oil and filter as soon as they can after getting the truck home. There is always a lot of small flakes etc that break loose during the first part of vibration when the engines starts running and until that and casting trash gets washed out of the engine its anybodies guess how much, if any, damage is done. Won't do any good to complain, its been that way forever. They don't take the time and expense to thoroughly wash down and apply rust preventives to the inside of the blocks, like we do when we build one ourselves. The full flow oil filter will only catch particles down to about 20 microns in size, but the good thing is that most of the stuff you see is heavy enough to drop immediately to the bottom of the pan and not get sucked up through the oil pick-up screen and put back into the oil system again. Thats one reason the filter doesn't catch them, it never sees them. I'd recommend another drain and filter change in another 2500 miles, a good investment in my opinion.