PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Cheese How To?

DinoMax
05-21-2003, 13:58
I have read that a lot of you guys drilled your air boxes for better flow. My question is, after drilling holes, are you leaving as is, or are you using any kind of mesh/screen to assist filtration of these opened up airways. I live on a dirt road, so dust and dirt are always present. Also, So. Florida is a hot and humid climate. Is this a factor? No one seems to be posting any info from this area of the world. Thaks, DinoMax

56Nomad
05-21-2003, 14:05
DinoMax,

You should have the new air box and really
don't need to cut on it. I would pull off that big
piece of taped aluminum foil on the side of
your inner fender. It blocks the intake of air,
plus you run risk of having it sucked into the
air box. :eek:

Kennedy
05-22-2003, 07:39
I left the foil on mine to keep the dirt from the inner fender area out. I figure plenty of air can get in around the headlight assy etc.

If you knock holes in the box, try to keep from drawing air from the engine area.

GMCTRUCK
05-22-2003, 09:47
When I was using the stock air box I left the foil tape on the inner fender. Instead of "swiss cheesing" the air box I took out the die grinder and cut out the front facing side of the air box so that it had a similar opening to the original side facing opening. That way the only extra air you get is fresh air from behind the headlight.

56Nomad
05-22-2003, 10:22
John,

At the 2002 Rendevous, if I recall, Roy Manson had most of his
aluminum tape sucked into his 02 Dmax airbox. It really had
potential for causing problems and he had no idea that it was
a problem until we looked.......... :eek:

If you're gonna leave it there, it's best to make sure that the
the sticky backing is still attached to the inner fender wall.

BTW, could someone who has the O1 model let us know
if they have the aluminum foil tape on their inner fender wall next
to the airbox?

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

Kennedy
05-22-2003, 10:43
While some of these "suck off's" :eek: may be '02's, I believe that the majority were likely 2001 retrofits where the "technician" did not properly prep the area before application...

Mine is holding fast at 38k+

mackin
05-22-2003, 13:59
No foil

No snorkel

May 01 build date ..... No dealer visit,yet ... ;)

Frontal lobotomy in the stock airbox...

Mac :D :D :D

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

bluenote
05-22-2003, 15:15
Mine is a July '01 build date and does have the foil on the inner fender, with the large opening on the fender side of the airbox. The truck is stock, except for a dealer installed OD/5th lockout.

FstTrack
05-22-2003, 21:43
I changed oil yesterday has about 34,000 on it decided to clean my filter and when I pulled it out it had half the foil on the bottom Probably had about 30,000 on it last I checked. Agree it does keep some of the dirt out but not to helpful pluging off the filter either.

NWDmax
05-22-2003, 22:21
5-1-01 build with foil but gone now.

ibelyea
05-22-2003, 22:38
While driving thru Wyoming last year (Temp 100+) I found my foil partially peeled off and starting to block the intake area. Luckily I caught it before it blocked the intake while using some high power. I believe that if it had clogged the intake the turbo would have gone ballistic. I notified GM of the problem but no feed back. My truck is a 2002 and I did keep an eye on that area after seeing how it could be a problem from last year's Rendezvous. The glue holding the material became very sticky and let loose when the OAT got very hot. My recommendation is to take it off if you drive where it gets warm.

56Nomad
06-07-2003, 18:23
I had nothing but free time today and I needed to clean my
Amsoil filter........ Since I had everything open, I decided
to swiss cheese my airbox and also plated the area which
used to have the aluminum foil patch which is prone to being
sucked into the airbox. http://members.cruzio.com/~quailman/SwissCheese.jpg

ndamico
06-07-2003, 19:13
you can click on my signature to see pictures of my airbox...

Kennedy
06-07-2003, 19:31
I cut the large triangular area out of the front wall similar to ndamico, but left the rest intact. I figure this will keep the underhood air ingestion minimized somewhat.

56Nomad
06-07-2003, 19:39
I figure this will keep the underhood air ingestion minimized somewhat John,

What is the problem with underhood air?

hoot
06-07-2003, 19:57
Underhood air is warmer.

I have the old style, hooked into the fender. I swiss cheesed so I have both.

GMCTRUCK
06-07-2003, 20:54
Front (just behind headlight)of my stock airbox is very cleanly cut out to almost a perfect match of the the factory side opening. That's it no holes in the back or bottom. I figure this helps limit warm air from the engine intruding plus the fresh air can't just blow through the box. It almost has no choice but to go up the intake tube.