PDA

View Full Version : stalling when engine is cold, runs great when engine is warm

aj neireiter
07-15-2004, 16:33
heard the fsd can cause a lot of problems when it heats up, but the darn thing stalls one minute after i start it. i just replaced the fuel filter, ops, iat, boost controler, and the waste gate solenoid all with in the last month.seems like if i can keep it running long enough to warm the motor, then it will run all day. HELP!!

norm
07-15-2004, 17:08
Sorry, no answer - I was just about to post a topic like yours about my truck. I, too am having stalling trouble when fairly cold or lukewarm, usually at the first red light or stop sign I come to, and occasionally while driving along. (My IP was last done at dealer at about 80K and I have put about 30K on truck since. Fuel filter<5K miles ago and Pep Boys lift pump about 10K ago) This is annoying and can be dangerous. Any ideas?

tom.mcinerney
07-15-2004, 17:48
For troubleshooting purposes it is advantageous to replace LP+OPS at same time [even then one or other liable to failure without relay in circuit].

A basic mechanical gage on the filter assy drain [hose/valve front engine] gives readout of LP pressure while running; tells condition LP+OPS.

aj neireiter
07-15-2004, 18:31
more info: if it helps i cycled the key with the bleeder valve open.(lift pump seems to be working)lots of fuel came out.

CoachWagner
07-16-2004, 07:53
I had hard start cold and glow pugs checked ok it was the Glow Plug Controller. I had it in the shop and some how they can test it. Easy repair to do yourself. Phone around on price. I had quotes from $85-$150 and got one for $58.

aj neireiter
07-16-2004, 14:59
Coach: did your truck stall after it was running?

Perry
07-17-2004, 18:57
AJ,

My dealer tried to diagnose my stalling problems and sent me home not able to find any problems and even told me my lift pump was fine as they opened the bleeder valve and fuel came out.

While at the local diesel shop getting some upgrades installed, I had them do a routine checkup first, they put a pressure gauge on the fuel line and discovered that the pressure would go negative while running. Then it completely died as they were trying to go for a test drive and couldn't start until they manually pressurized the tank. I haven't stalled since they replaced the lift pump.

Good luck.

norm
07-18-2004, 05:46
I replaced the original lift pump with one from Pep Boys (a Borg Warner unit) and got about 10K miles out of it when it went bad and I replaced it about 10K miles ago - now I am having stalling trouble again. I could get another one on warrantee but maybe I should try a different brand. I will do the OPS as well this time. Do any of you like one LP over the rest?

CoachWagner
07-19-2004, 09:26
aj neireiter

I didn't get any stalling but it would stumble for about a minute and LOTS of white smoke especially first thing in the morning. The shop I had it at is able to test the glow plugs and controler and found all glow plugs good but controler bad, also lift pump was putting out lots of fuel. If you find a good diesel shop they will test a bunch of components and give you a breakdown, glow plugs, lift pump, timming etc.