PDA

View Full Version : Best Duramax to buy?

BuffaloGuy
05-06-2005, 11:10
I'm thinking about upgrading in the next year or so to, possibly, a used Duramax. My questions are:

1. Is there a year that is better or worse than another? If so why?

2. I pull alot. Is the Allison the way to go?

3. How is the new 6 speed manual holding up.

4. Which rear end is recommened? I pull loads of about 10K+.

5. What is the weak link on this truck?

Any input is helpful!

Thanks alot.
Ken

Turbo Al
05-06-2005, 13:34
Hi Ken,
A. From 2001 to 2004.5 the Motor is LB7 and there are some injections issues with this motor which have been patially addressed by GM by extending the warrenty on them. They are rather difficult to re. & re. as well.

B. The 2004.5's have the LLY motor and the re. & re. has been addressed and hopefully the injection issue has as well -- TOO soon to tell.

2. The Allison does have the Tow/Haul Mode which I find VERY helpfull when towing (not as much weight as you do though).

3. The six speeds are having more than there fair share of problems and you should do a seach over on the drivetrain forum for more info on them.

4. To the best of my knowlege only the 3:73 gears are available.

5. Weak link for me is the ground clearance. Some issues with the NSBU switch but it is easy to change and I keep one in the glove box.
The 2001 came out with a split drive shaft which was warrenty replaceable BUT NOT EVERY ONE did have it replaced so there are still some running around -- DO NOT buy one of these trucks if you plan to tow anything. Again more on these subjects on the driveline forum.
Fuel mileage running bob tail is down from the 6.5 TD BUT (I FIND) it is comparable while towing.

I am VERY happy with mine at 35,000 miles but again I don't tow much more than 6,000.
Al

OC_DMAX
05-06-2005, 15:19
Stay away from the 6 speed manual trans.

Before buying, get a repair history run on the truck. See if all 8 injectors have been replaced. If they have, then you would have the latest up to date injectors (which is good, especially if an '01 or '02 model).

madmatt
05-07-2005, 04:37
tahe the VIN of the truck your looking at to your dealer and have them run a VIS report. it'll tell you about it's past warr. repairs.

Kennedy
05-08-2005, 10:23
They are all good, but I'd suggest 2002 or newer. LB7 vs. LLY is a great debate that could go for years. I like the LB7 for the most part, but my LLY also performs very well even in stock (open exhaust) trim...

BuffaloGuy
05-09-2005, 07:14
Gentlemen, thank you very much. Now when I getthe scratch together I have something to work with!
Ken