PDA

View Full Version : Nooooooooooo!!!

redneckcowdoctor
05-24-2003, 21:15
Changed oil and filter early this morning and went to work. Later in the day I was towing a two horse trailer and noticed my oil pressure was low, only around 45 while on the throttle. I shut her down and after 10 minutes checked the dipstick. I couldn't tell there was anything on the notches but on a paper towel the stick was wet 4 inches above the top knotch. I crawled underneath and drained some out of the Fumoto into an empty bottle. As best I could tell it was pure diesel. I'm no mechanic but isn't that a sure sign of an injector gone bad?

The worst part is I have 103,000 miles on the truck! I bought this truck specifically for the reliability of the diesel but it looks like I should have stuck with a gasser. I never had any trouble out of them.

Question: What is the long term prognosis for the rest of the engine after fuel contamination of the oil? Should I trade in a hurry?

Thanks, Jeff

afp
05-24-2003, 21:20
From what I understand that is a fairly simple fuel system problem. Something about the fuel line seals or something.................JK knows as do a couple others.

Blaine

[ 05-24-2003: Message edited by: afp ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
05-24-2003, 21:40
Sounds like injector return lines are possibly leaking. Minor problem, but not easy fix, It goes back to the old adage, 10 cent part, 10 hour job. You didnt mention any running problems or etc so I would have to assume its just the return line seals. While no long term damage is likely, its best to get it fixed asap and change the oil also of course.

Rebel_Horseman
05-24-2003, 22:04
Did you notice any reduced power? Was there oil or diesel fuel coating the underside of the truck or the front of the trailer? That was the signs that my injector went bad.

Luck

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

redneckcowdoctor
05-25-2003, 02:48
No loss of power that I noticed. The last tank of fuel before this happened I got 19.6 mpg and I have a 1300# vet unit in the bed (I am a pretty light-footer driver however--even my wife tells me to "get going"). There was diesel dripping off the bottom of the truck. It was getting dark so I couldn't see the ultimate source.

Trucks now sitting at the dealer for the holiday weekend. I'm stuck running farm calls with my kids "rent-a-wreck" t-bird!

Thanks for your replies. You guys are always great. Jeff

Kennedy
05-25-2003, 08:05
A good dealer will look at the vehicle year (hey 2001's could still be within 3/36) and know that he has a little lattitude in cases like this. I have a seal on the hydroboost weeping inside my cab, but did not want corrective action unless it got worse. I was near 36k and wanted it noted, as sure enough, it will spew once past 36k. Being a 2002 model, new in late 2001, there is still plenty of the 3 yr part left...