PDA

View Full Version : Heads up 01 owners !!!!

mackin
05-25-2003, 06:48
Whiling tooling around under the hood with 6.6 engine cover removed I noticed one of my Air Conditioner line is resting right on top of turbo heat shield ... Yup melted not thru yet but it does have a flat spot .... Going to fab up a way to hold it up,got some ideas .... Check it out ....

Mac :eek:

WhiteDuramax
05-25-2003, 09:32
Mac, will check mine out sometime today and see what it looks like. Also- do you have a pic of your plugged wastegate, I dont want to plug mine but I want to put a valve in for a little more boost. I am seeing 24-25 tops right now. Seems like it should build boost quicker than it does. I guess thats turbo lag for ya.

Turbo Al
05-25-2003, 14:01
Makin:
Checked mine it is OK. Hose sits about 1 1/2 inches off shield, but I took the cover off about 10 seconds after I bought the truck. Was the cover holding the rubber hose down?? If it was then you may have to trim it a bit.

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

Sneaks
05-25-2003, 15:19
Mine also sits above by about 1 1/2". No problem at all, strictly stock under the hood - except for the air filter.

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: Don Anderson ]</p>

biglouieky
05-25-2003, 16:27
Mac
I bet your problem is caused by Mockingbirds roosting on your airconditioning lines at night. Fix is easy--place an old tomcat under hood each night---but remember to take him out in morning!
Thanks for warning --mine was OK

mackin
05-25-2003, 18:39
Mockingbird is toast ..... ;) So is my driverside mirror ,scratched mirror looks like a rainbow of colors ... :( Lets say I had enough ... SSSHHHH ...

My AC hose goes around the engine cover, lays right on top of turbo heat shield, not good ... I think the hose is to long and should be over the top of the heater core lines,not under , down to the condensator (?) ... That would have kept it up high enough ... I talk a couple shots of it tomorrow now that I picked up some stuff to fix it .... A little before and after if you will ...

I'll grab a shot of the wastegate too ,same vicinity ...

Mac

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

WhiteDuramax
05-25-2003, 20:15
Didnt get to look at mine yet, I was busy at graduation partys all day. I will look sometime soon though, get that pic, lol.

mackin
05-26-2003, 17:24
Here's the PICS of the Cooked AC line ....

=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/image/17123295
=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/image/17123331

Also a temp fix .....In the first one you will notice lack of wastegate sensor line for WhiteDuramax.....

=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/image/17123409
=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/image/17123443

I could of taken that bracket up to the cowl and mounted but decided not to ...
Because After a closer look,it was burnt pretty good and I've decided to add to the list of fixes for my future trip to dealer before my 36/3 is up ...

My engine compartment needs a bath ..... Lousy day in Ct for such a task .. Rain all day ....

Mac :(

letsgo
05-26-2003, 19:02
while your at it the 2002 a/c aluminium tube that runs behind the left head light has a tendancy to rub on the inter cooler housing, I had to wrap the a/c line with a few layers of duct tape to stop the wear of metal to metal.

good luck.

WhiteDuramax
05-26-2003, 19:41
Checked the AC line about 1.5" of clearance. Thanks for the pic Mac, so I can just splice in a valve where you took the line off. So then I can adjust the boost pressure to whateve I want it at right?

mackin
05-26-2003, 20:06
WhiteDuramax

I believe some have done just that ...

On the AC line is the routing the same ,under the heater core lines ?? Just trying to figure why mine is frying,what is different ...

Mac

WhiteDuramax
05-27-2003, 20:52
Mac,
My AC line is routed the same as yours, under the heater core lines. The only thing I can see that would make yours like that would be the metal fittings on each end, both ends of mine are bent at an angle up to keep it off the turbo. Maybe yours got bent down some or somethin, all that power!! lol