PDA

View Full Version : installing 2002 duramax into our 84 sub

cobweb
05-14-2005, 14:19
hello,we have just imported a lly 2002 6.6 duramax that i am having installed into our 84 sub i would like to know if there are any major set backs we are likley to encounter,as no one in new zealand has done a conversion like this before.the engine came with all wiring harness and control boxes will a turbo 400 handel torque etc

Timberline
05-16-2005, 09:03
Keep an eye on your frame. The only diesel swap that I have heard of is someone had put a Cummins out of a late model Dodge and put it in an early 1970's pickup truck. From what I understand the high torque from the diesel cracked and tore the frame. The frames on diesel powered vehicles are stronger and since your 84 suburban was available with the 6.2-6.5 then maybe there is no need to worry about stress cracks.

Sounds like you have a cool project.

cobweb
05-17-2005, 05:00
thanks for that,the suburban originally had a 6.2 heart that run into to much fried chicken so we installed the 6.5 into her which was real good untill i drove a 2002 2500lt silverado so yeah the challange will be well worth it thanks again for your advice.

More Power
05-17-2005, 20:51
I had heard from one individual who was attempting to install a Dmax into an 80's crew cab. He found significant frame rail interference with the exhaust system on the engine. I wasn't sure whether he was referring to the turbo downpipe or the exhaust manifolds.

Might want to check the fit before committing.

MP