PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temp w Juice

Mark-
05-15-2005, 10:39
I recently towed my 37' 5th back from Arizona to NH and when I pulled the hill out of Port Jervis NY, with my Attitude set to #1, the coolant temp guage on the dash went to approx 215ish, but the Attitude monitor showed 227. Anyone know why the disparity in readings, and what is a safe coolant temp for hill pulling? Normal temps are approx 195-205 level towing. I have the 04.5 LLY.

Oh and as an aside, my fuel econoimy has gone up to 18-20 solo, and 11-13 towing my 5th. I am extremely happy with the performance.

Mark

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2005, 13:18
Don't sweat the temps. All methods of getting the numbers are relative, and subjective. The IP gage is analog, and generally not accurate. The Attitude reading is digital, but just as subjective, originated from an analog sender. The gages are best used as a method of tracking trends, rather than a literal interpretation of engine condition.

Keep in mind, power (fuel consumption) is heat. It has to come from, and go somewhere. It is normal for the temps to increase while towing, or increasing engine power output, although the IP gage may not show much, if any.

Jim Brzozowski
05-16-2005, 08:43
Unless they read the temps. from the same exact location, there can be a difference of a few degrees. Neither of your readings are too high to worry about since its a flash type event and not long term. Even so those are not really high temps.