PDA

View Full Version : Fuel prices

Scott D
03-04-2005, 06:49
Gas and diesel prices are on the rise, but the diesel price here is really high. The highest I've ever seen.

Diesel is priced around $2.65 at most places and gas prices can be found just under $2.00 for regular unleaded.

Why the huge price difference? Also, I noticed that Oregon prices for diesel are around $2.35. So, I can only assume that the price difference must be the amount of tax added to fuel here compared to Oregon.

But what about the price difference between gas and diesel here? Are we paying way more in taxes for diesel than for gas in Washington State? Or is diesel way higher than gas elsewhere around the country?

a5150nut
03-04-2005, 07:16
Supply and demand combined with maxamising proffits.

Europe and South America use diesel because it is less costly than gas there. So, demand has gone up. And our supply here is effected because they are exporting less to our country.

Then in maxamising proffits, our fuel producers will raise thier prices until sales just start to drop. Idea being they sell 10,000 gallons a day and maintain the same proffit margine as if they were selling 15,000 gallons per day.

markrinker
03-04-2005, 07:19
Simply not enough competition in the fuel supply markets. We need a few more players to get in and make this market competetive again.

$2.25 for diesel here in Elk River, Minnesota. Glad to be pulling with #3 (gasser) although the mileage sucks, so it works out about the same.

Can't help but feel we are funding the war indirectly through our fuel prices.

I have little doubt that our interests in Iraq have more to do with oil reserves than democracy.

[ 03-04-2005, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

MikeChase
03-04-2005, 11:33
Yesterday, $2.60 a gallon in North Idaho. Thought it must be a mistake so checked local fuel prices - the lowest noted was a nickle less. I think unleaded was $1.95, aviation gas $2.79

eracers999
03-04-2005, 23:22
Well the liberals have stopped us from building any new refinerys, none since the 70"s. They've stopped stopped us from drilling and exploring at every turn, so here we are, refinerys are at capacity and we just keep gettin a big time putin it to us at every turn, makes me sick!!!!!

Barry Nave
03-05-2005, 00:24
Hey BOSS (that being I) I need a raise :eek: Gas prices are getting to high :eek: I need more money to get to work :rolleyes: Yea right I think to myself. Here a offer my man, I'll take your pay and you take my fuel expence.
Try bidding a job to offset the cost of rising fuel,rising Mat. cost ECT. Lumber yards that use to deliver MAT. with out charge are now setting a price based on the amount spent. I use to be able to drive 40 mile round trip for construction MAT., say the big chain stores as Lowes,Mannards,Home Depoe and make the savings worth driving including my time. That was back in the days of $1.00 gal., not that many years ago. Being in a small town in Indiana of 45K, the fuel price is'nt as bad as big citys.
Here it's up to $2.05 tax ex.
I would trade my truck for a diesel that could pull 10K with enough power to get me up to 65mph flat out and see 20mpg. Than it would be like buying fuel for $1.00 again ;)

DA BIG ONE
03-05-2005, 04:11
Originally posted by Kent:
Well the liberals have stopped us from building any new refinerys, none since the 70"s. They've stopped stopped us from drilling and exploring at every turn, so here we are, refinerys are at capacity and we just keep gettin a big time putin it to us at every turn, makes me sick!!!!! Ever consider that blaming liberials is just a cover? Was it liberials who raped half the coutry with its scams, like ENRON?

Or, how about when a carburator was invented that gave crazy high mpg, so the oil industry bought all the rights to it, with the average guy left to the whims of oil tycoons? Who is in the oil business?

Better yet, how about the rest of the world is already paying much higher prices, as much as 4 times more than we pay here, ask a Swede!

We get fed so much bull excrement the truth fades into just a memory.

Yea, prices are high, in the name of profit and just who profits?

I believe you will find liberials invest in oil too!

Consider, how much oil it takes to run the current adminstrations war machine, is there an oil tycoon, or two somewhere in the mix?

Scott D
03-05-2005, 05:26
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
Ever consider that blaming liberials is just a cover?No, I don't think that blaming liberals is just a cover........they deserve to have lots of blame for much of the problems in this country today. Liberals are the ones who don't want to allow drilling in Alaska, building new refineries, or building nuclear power plants.

Scott D
03-05-2005, 05:34
I still can't figure out why diesel is so much higher priced than gasoline??? It used to always cost less for diesel than gas, but the last few years the diesel prices have been getting closer to gas and last year diesel started to cost more than gas. Now diesel is 70 cents a gallon more than gas.

How can diesel cost that much more than gas?

DA BIG ONE
03-05-2005, 05:43
Originally posted by Scott D:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
Ever consider that blaming liberials is just a cover?No, I don't think that blaming liberals is just a cover........they deserve to have lots of blame for much of the problems in this country today. Liberals are the ones who don't want to allow drilling in Alaska, building new refineries, or building nuclear power plants. </font>[/QUOTE]Then perhaps you need to follow the money trail that feeds their agenda!

If it were true that liberials do not want to allow such things, then ask yourself; how can such a small group wield such power? Could it be that their lobby budget allows for bigger bribes to those charged with controlling such issues, or?

Consider, new drilling, refineries and nuke plants would severely cut into oil profits, so who stands to lose? Truth at times is stranger than fiction.

eracers999
03-05-2005, 06:39
-----------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE] [/QUOTE---------

Then perhaps you need to follow the money trail that feeds their agenda!

If it were true that liberials do not want to allow such things, then ask yourself; how can such a small group wield such power?

(Answer)

If you havent noticed that the liberals have lost a lot of power in the last 2 elections, and are very likely to keep on loosin. Reasone, its quite simple. As more and more good demacrats realize that there party has left them they will all start voting to the right, i believe a lot of what Zell Miller, ( the demacratic Georgia senator laid out and said. ) And as the rest of what you had to say about profits and money trails is only going to lead to a much bigger discussion that i would love to engage in but---- not on this board. Takes a lot of oil to make this country run. You can blame W for everything as has been the case, or get a 3 hr a day education and seek the truth!

Kent

[]

DA BIG ONE
03-05-2005, 08:38
-----------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE] [/QUOTE---------

If it were true that liberials do not want to allow such things, then ask yourself; how can such a small group wield such power?

(Answer)

If you havent noticed that the liberals have lost a lot of power in the last 2 elections, and are very likely to keep on loosin. Reasone, its quite simple. As more and more good demacrats realize that there party has left them they will all start voting to the right, i believe a lot of what Zell Miller, ( the demacratic Georgia senator laid out and said. ) And as the rest of what you had to say about profits and money trails is only going to lead to a much bigger discussion that i would love to engage in but---- not on this board. Takes a lot of oil to make this country run. You can blame W for everything as has been the case, or get a 3 hr a day education and seek the truth!

Kent

[]

DA BIG ONE
03-05-2005, 08:44

(Answer)

Kent

[] Kent, you are right this is not the place for such a debate!

In reality I care less about the price of fuel than I do about losing freedoms and liberties!

Kidd
03-05-2005, 12:48
In this area gas and diesel are almost the same price, just a few cents difference, diesel being higher. The odd thing, wholesale price diesel runs about 15 percent cheaper than gasoline.

Retail diesel today running about $3.40 a U.S. gallon. Gasoline is about $3.30 a U.S. gallon.

K.D.

turbovair
03-05-2005, 13:48
Diesel here is about $2.25 a gallon at the pump. Maybe when the demand for heating oil decreases, we will see some relief.

KerrySchrantz
03-05-2005, 22:12
FWIW, Diesel is running about 2.12 per and regular unleaded is about 1.86 in Winston Salem, NC

Barry Nave
03-06-2005, 04:23
In my line of work,I can't control fuel prices and spend more of my free time on shopping around for cost saving in all area's of building supplys and other area's that can lower the fuel being used. Keeping Quality can be rough at time's though.

Whitpirate
03-06-2005, 07:47
Just filled up last night at 2.72 a gallon in Monroe, WA.

a5150nut
03-06-2005, 09:18
Just filled up last night at 2.72 a gallon in Monroe, WA.
So what kind of financing do they offer way up there? With those prices it must be 6 mo./ 1yr! ;)

Marty Lau
03-07-2005, 09:23
Originally posted by a5150nut:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Just filled up last night at 2.72 a gallon in Monroe, WA.
So what kind of financing do they offer way up there? With those prices it must be 6 mo./ 1yr! ;) </font>[/QUOTE]I have a 26 gallon tank so the "bite" at each fill up isn't as bad as you guys that have larger tanks, I know I need to fill more often tho. The last fill up was $50 and the thing I laughed when I saw the check could be made for $10 over the amount of purchase, that $10 won't even buy 5 gallons of Diesel. :(

Iain
03-07-2005, 10:16
Diesel here in Calgary, Alberta on the weekend was $0.809 Canadian per Imperial Litre. If I do my calucations correctly, that should equal to $2.49 US per US Gallon.

stephen_board
03-07-2005, 18:28
...and I thought I had a gripe about prices here.

I'm In Charleston, SC and Diesel fuel is running $2.03 to $2.09 a gallon.

but I hear it's gonna rise pretty steadily 'til June.

Dang! It might be time for the missus and I to carpool in the more efficient oil burner we have.

Stephen

a5150nut
03-07-2005, 20:02
Back in the early 70's I had a 74 3/4 ton with camper shell. I had a 50 gal tank mounted in the bed with the filler neck out the side of the shell. I had more people come up to look while filling up. I guess they thought I was filling the bed up. I realy got a chuckle when I would fill the top tank, they would start their car, then I would reach for the lower filler cap and they would sink down in the seat and shut off thier motor.

Shure miss those good old even/odd days. And oh those lines..............

radrecon69
03-08-2005, 04:23
Here in Illinois I just paid $2.29 a gallion it is getting to the point that we drive our Hyundi more than we drive the trucks shame I like the sound of my 4" exhaust on my dually but heck I can't afford 60-70 dollars at the pump

Rick

Shuck
03-08-2005, 13:45
It's time for us all to start homebrewing biodiesel. Teach the oil companies a lesson. If they are going to give it to us in the corn hole, we'll find another way.

Vegetable oils and animal fats can easily be converted to biodiesel by most average home mechanics.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/719605551/m/857600061/p/1 or www.biodieselnow.com (http://www.biodieselnow.com/)

a5150nut
03-08-2005, 19:59
News Flash!

Drive thru restraunts being held up for their deep frier oil. Suspects seen leaving in diesel pickup. Strange smell of frech fries coming from exaust pipe!

TurboDiverArt
03-09-2005, 02:55
Just a thought I have been pondering. Anyone have Hess credit card? Maybe other oil companies offer the same.

https://www.chasecreditcard.com/Templates/hessemphb/Splash1.asp?target=hessemphb&creative=pk9x5t03

They offer a 5% rebate on fuel purchased using it. 10% rebate for the first 90 days. It's like getting a free gallon each fill up. Diesel just jumped to $2.07/gallon (yeah we're lucky here in NJ). At 30 gallons a week it costs me $55-$60 a week per fill up. That's $2.75 - $3.00 rebate per fill up ($5.50 - $6.00 for the first 90 days)!

Just a thought.

Art.

HowieE
03-09-2005, 06:19
Weather you blaime the liberals, the boys in Texas paying for the last election, world demand, the week dollar, or the fuel used in the war, it pays to shop around.
Pilot at Boardentown NJ the price was $.20 a gallon more that the station 100 yards away on route 130 and $.23 more than a station 6 miles down the road. At a highway offramp station at ile marker 45 on route 95 in Va. fuel was $.31 a gallon more than the station 1/2 mile off the highway. In Perry Fl. it was $.30 a gallon more on the south end of town than the north end.
These price differentials were all within the last month while I was traveling and can not be a function of taxes because each price differance was within the same state.
Exxon just stated 25 billion dollar cash position yesterday. They did not get that from selling girl Scout Cookies.

What ever happened to the Federal Law passed during the 1970s shortages that set a Pull Margin
of $.16 per gallon at the pump?

markrinker
03-09-2005, 08:16
I agree with Howie. Shop around and be loyal to the stations that keep prices low.

Send a message to the independent station owners that gouge consumers based on fear and speculation.

Follow the money...it always leads to the root of the issue.

nvmtnlion
03-10-2005, 06:46
$2.49/Gallon in Reno. :(

moondoggie
03-10-2005, 10:04
Good Day!

</font>[list=1] I

ZZ
03-10-2005, 10:13
Prices in the Bootheel of Missouri this morning were:

Unleaded $2.009
Premium Unleaded $2.179
Diesel $2.069

Craig M
03-10-2005, 11:16
Shuck, You do not have to convert vegitable oil to biodiesel. It will run just fine in the diesel engine. Filtering and cold starting are issues to address, but work.

Scott D
03-11-2005, 07:07
http://fleetowner.com/news/diesel_price_west_coast_washington_030105/

The above link explains why diesel in Washington State is so expensive right now.

Billman
03-11-2005, 10:01
Long Island, New York

Regular Unleaded 2.099

45 Cetane Diesel 2.439

radrecon69
03-12-2005, 03:43
just drove to Evansville In. and the Pilot Station was 2.03 and the other large Truckstop (I can't think of its name) was 2.14 and it was right across the street. and they where both Auto Diesel

catmandoo
03-12-2005, 07:49
,my girlfriend asks me what i pay for fuel and i say i don't know i don't even look at the sign,i drive 65,000 miles a year and have to have it so whats it matter,this past winter around christmas it got down to about -20 and i gelled up not bad i did get running again that day and made it home,a week later i wasn't so lucky,but i gelled in front of my friends house and got towed from there,since then i switched stations,the farm service i go to now has bio whereas the other place didn't,and i tell you what,thats the best thing to ever happen to me,my truck had the weirdest surge for about the last year and a half,with the bio it is now gone,it runs lots quieter and it seems to get better milage.call me a firm believer in it.even if it costs more i don't care.if it stays high i'll just get out the bike and the truck can set all summer.

MartyB
03-12-2005, 18:52
Scott,

Rumour has it, 2 of 5 refineries are shut down for maintenance, with other regional ones that are supposed to pickup the slack are having problems also, so the law of supply and demand has reared it's ugly head.

I've had a few fillups over $100 filling my dumptruck with 45-50 gals, then add in the 10-15 gals for the bobcat and trackhoe, and yes, one needs a 2nd and third mtg to fill up vehicles.

I've had suppliers adding upwards of 10% of base to cover the fuel prices locally for over 2 yrs. It can and does change daily.

DA BIG ONE
03-13-2005, 02:38
Perhaps, it is time to now consider a 2 speed rear?

Yes, I know Gear Venders has O/D U/D but for some rigs like mine w/autotrac this is not an option.

I had changed from 4.10:1 to 3.42:1 and increased mpg, thought about going 3.08:1 but I do not think there are carriers for this ratio for the 14 bolt FF.

So, I dream of a 2 speed rear!

rjwest
03-13-2005, 03:13
Supply and Demand ???????

Can't drill for oil, can't build refineries,

Can't mine coal, Can't build Nuclear power plants.

I think there is something wrong with the supply and demand equation.....

HowieE
03-13-2005, 12:04
DA BIG ONE

What is so unique about your 99 truck that you can't install a Gear Vendors on an auto. I had one on my 87 and would have installed it on my 97 had I not been able to tow in OD on the 97.
If you have 4 wheel drive there is a lock out switch to insure you never selsect OD/UD while in 4 wheel drive.

HowieE
03-13-2005, 12:06
DA BIG ONE

What is so unique about your 99 truck that you can't install a Gear Vendors on an auto. I had one on my 87 and would have installed it on my 97 had I not been able to tow in OD on the 97.
If you have 4 wheel drive there is a lock out relay to insure you never selsect OD/UD while in 4 wheel drive.

chuckf
03-17-2005, 07:32
Diesel Prices in Rochester NY as of today:
$2.37/gal

Gasoline: $2.18/gal

DA BIG ONE
03-17-2005, 08:36
Originally posted by HowieE:
DA BIG ONE

If you have 4 wheel drive there is a lock out relay to insure you never selsect OD/UD while in 4 wheel drive. It has the NP246 AutoTrac t-case computer controlled auto 4wd and has 3 speed sensors, and front driveshaft always turns even in 2wd.. For years GearVenders tried to do one for this case but the liability was too great an they did not pursue it further.

Hell, I even tried to get them to let me test a BATA unit! No way, no how would they even consider it.

Actually, I hate the AutoTrac and will be making my own manual shifter for it soon. Reason, I am going w/mech inj pump, stand alone tranny controller, so the NP246 auto 4wd feature simply will not work with my conversion. However, making it manual shift it will be fine for my needs.

jmosby
03-17-2005, 10:18
I live in Alberta Canada which typically has some of the "cheaper" fuel prices in Canada. Recently diesel went to 80.9 cents per litre which translates (at todays exchange) to $2.55 (US) per gal (US). I might be wrong but I always thought the the cheaper prices for diesel was because it doesn't cost as much to refine?

Scott D
03-17-2005, 11:44
Polarflamingo, that's what I always thought and why I've been confused as to why diesel prices are higher than gas prices.

Diesel prices have actually come down slightly in the last week here. Diesel is $2.57 now at a station near Tumwater, WA. Gas prices are around $2.00 per gallon for regular unleaded.

DA BIG ONE
03-17-2005, 11:49
I can only guess that much of the diesel fuel is going to military entities.

rjwest
03-17-2005, 14:41
Been Told to me ?????

There is not enough refinery capacity to dedicate
to the different energy streams ( Gas,& diesel/fuel oil ).
Diesel and fuel oil made in same refineries process,this acounts for Spring being time of cheapest diesel and how far price drops is subject to heating season length. Also storage of diesel/fuel oil is also used for Gas as the highest demands for each are at different seasons,
The longer the winter , less excess fuel oil in spring, less price drop of diesel . And higher Gas prices as process is not turned over to gas soon enough to stock up by spring driving season..
I think Riply told me this....

What ever happened to global warming:
Global warming is GOOD. Burn more fosil fuel
so the winters are shorter and prices will come down. ??????

Or could it be the trips to Wallmart in the SUV to buy china made stuff , shipped in trucks, moved by boats, to give money to chinese to buy more cars
to use more fuel. ?

WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY; AND HE IS US!!!!!(POGO)

Ramblings of a seasoned , senile , sitizen...

chuckf
03-18-2005, 09:37
Here is an interesting website on where the US imports its oil. The second largest supplier to the US is Canada. Why can Canada drill and manufacture oil, but the US can't in Alaska? The last time I looked Alaska was real close to Canada.Our Canandian friends aren't polluting the environment with their oil business so why can't we drill in Alaska?(This comment is not to anger our Canadian friends, but to show the Liberal Americans how absurd it is NOT to drill for oil in Alaska). You are willing to be dependent on others instead of doing for yourself. My Dad always taught me it was better if he taught me how to fish rather than just giving me a fish to eat.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

moondoggie
03-18-2005, 14:38
Good Day!

I think the same folks that don't want us drilling in ANWR might be the same folks that don't want us driving IC vehicles either. For the most part, the ones I've met think we're the problem.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

eracers999
03-18-2005, 21:46
Well it looks like the liberals lost in the last senate vote because the drilling is on now folks, voting went right on the party lines 51 ya, 49 na. It is my opinion that the economy will not support much more of a increase in price, i know a lot of folks are just tuffin it out.

Good day

Marty Lau
03-21-2005, 17:09
Here in Great Falls MT our gas is 2.07 regualar crap and I mean crap 85.5 octane and Diesel 2.46
The line I got was that the was a big refinery fire in Canada that produces a lot of Diesel for export to the NW USA and that several refireies have taken units off line for spring maintaince. Don't know how true it is but that the line I got.

Shuck
03-22-2005, 12:08
The reason for processing vegetable oil to biodiesel is to remove water/contaminants and lower the gel point. With biodiesel, you don't need to modify your vehicle at all. VO requires separate tanks and switchover hardware.