PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filtration

k1rod
05-25-2005, 14:11
Since many people are installing very efficient additional fuel filters to preserve their injectors, and because the pre / post OEM question keeps coming up, I was wondering why OEM at all? Why not just get rid of the thing? The OEM filters are hard to change. They only last 15K miles. They are more expensive than is reasonable. And sometimes they appear to be creating their own contamination (rust). The 2.0 micron aftermarket filters like the CAT, the MEGA, and the Racor appear to be much better filters. The CAT 1R-0749 is for example rated for 3000 gallons of fuel. That's about 54000 miles in my Duramax! The filter is easy to change. The efficiency is an undisputed 98% at 2 microns, and it costs about $15. I am guessing the Baldwin filter used in the MEGA filter is similar (with the added advantage of water separation). With these aftermarket filters that appear to be superior in every way to the OEM, why do we need the OEM at all? I also have a VW Jetta TDI. Someone came up with an aftermarket fuel filter head that replaced the OEM filter with a CAT 2 micron filter. These have been a very popular mod and I have never heard of anybody having a warranty denied because they had one of these installed. Any thoughts?

More Power
05-25-2005, 15:33
The advantages of OEM are:

1- Integral fuel heater.
2- Integral Water In Fuel sensor.
3- Manual priming pump.
4- Water drain valve.
5- Located in the engine compartment in such a way that reduces the chance of fuel gelling in cold temperatures.
6- Fuel filter availability.

MP

OC_DMAX
05-25-2005, 15:52
A couple of thoughts:

1) With the new "dual pleat" Racor filter, what is the actual performance? No one has measured it yet (to the best of my knowledge). So don't discard something that you have no performance data on.

2) I am certain that if you took your truck in to the dealer to have fuel system warranty work done and the OEM filter was missing all together, they most likely would deny the warranty claim. (And I personally would not blame them.) So better to work around it than totally replace it.

Something to think about,
Alan

FJ40INTOW
05-26-2005, 05:22
OEM filters hard to change? My first one took a hour, second one 45 minutes, third one 30 minutes, and the last one 20 minutes. It really helps to have something to stand on (unless you are 7 ft tall) and to figure out that the filter will come out the top. I don't have to pull the liner or anything.

Sheldon Kuhn
05-26-2005, 22:56
Changed mine in 15 min. Removed nothing and pulled it through the top. Stood on an MT milk crate by the fender.

jbplock
05-27-2005, 01:55
[quote]Originally posted by k1rod:
[b]

DmaxMaverick
05-27-2005, 02:13
While I agree with the above posts, I will add something.

In regards to Cat's recommended "3000 gallon" service interval, the Cat fuel system does not "recycle" the fuel like the Duramax does. The volume of fuel that will go through your filter will likely be 3 times what is actually used for combustion. That comes down to about 18K miles, according to your calculation, which is just about where you started.

Although the same fuel will get cleaner with each pass, the filter media is only capable of withstanding so much service before it will fail from fatigue. A claim of X gallons of fuel says nothing of the quality of fuel, as well.