PDA

View Full Version : O.D.lockout

MIKE MOG
05-25-2005, 16:33
I was wondering when I would use the O.D. lockout and should it be used in or out of tow, haul mode. I will be pulling about 10k LBS.
Will this cause trans temp to climb?
Thank's Mike

OC_DMAX
05-25-2005, 17:31
No sure about Ohio, but here in Calif we have steep mountain passes to tow trailers over. OD lockout comes in handy when going up these passes to raise the RPM up, instead of lugging in 5th gear. This lowers engine EGT. If you have tow/haul engaged (which you should while towing your 10K lbs trailer), there should be no difference in transmission temp (since torque converter will locked in 4th).

Jomar
05-25-2005, 18:42
My tranny ran a little cooler with the OD locked out while pulling in the mountains, 10 degrees + or - .

MIKE MOG
05-26-2005, 16:31
Thanks, I have to tow through the WV mountains and the Va, mountains, Here in Ohio we are mostly flat but I had a 2000 CK truck with a 5.3 in it and the trans was busy on the hills. My son wheres hearing aids and got alot of background noise from that trans. I really appreciate the info. Will I burn more fuel in lock out?
This is our 1st diesel and the whole family loves it. But we are freeked out about fuel inj's.
Thanks, Mike

OC_DMAX
05-26-2005, 17:07
You may burn a little more fuel with the higher RPMS (as a result of OD lockout). But the down shift / up shift will be eliminated. Easier on the tranny and easier on the engine. As stated about, I only use the OD Lockout on steep inclines. For normal highway use, OD Lockout is not needed.

I'll bet the 5.3 liter gas engine struggled with a 10k lbs trailer!!

MIKE MOG
05-30-2005, 16:53
Thanks,OC_DMAX,
I will check out the od lock out when We pull through the Mountains at the end of the month. Yea rhat 5.3 labored and struggled but she did get the trailer up the hills. We just came back from Columbus Oh today and there are some hills, mot mountians and Man did that diesel pull. I don't think I will ever go back to a gas truck!!
Mike

Dannyboy
05-31-2005, 10:38
this past weekend i was driving over a good size mt. and shut off the OD 1/4 of the way up the hill and what a difference. I kept my foot in the same position and the speedo started climbing fast, i had to back out before the next corner.

BlackMax 2001
05-31-2005, 11:06
I live in WV and I pull a horse trailer around a lot. I have a 2001 D/A without the lock out. I have not had a problem one pulling/stopping and my truck is bone stock. Hook-up and enjoy the trip. You will be grinning all the way. smile.gif

MIKE MOG
06-08-2005, 16:01
Thank-You. I will use it when in the mountains.
Mike