PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust brakes

Danny Grant
05-26-2005, 06:38
We had a US Gear exhaust brake dealer installed two years ago and have had nothing but problems with it sticking or not releasing after long downhills, not releasing at stop lights(it has to be shut off) The micro switch at the gas pedal is also problematic and it started not coming on at all. It has been back into the dealer about 6 times in two years, once for a rebuild after the arm fell off at one end and required a tow in, which is not fun with horses loaded.

Is there a more reliable unit that is better suited to the Allison??

tpitt
05-26-2005, 16:38
BD-Power makes the best exhaust brake in my opinion. I've installed several in all brands, and probably ten or twelve in Duramaxs. They're located in Abbotsford. B.C. tpitt

Kennedy
05-27-2005, 03:28
Unforyunately, we've seen some of the same issues with the BD and Banks brakes also. Not sure what to say. The use of an aluminum air cyliner tube is one point that I question.

YZF1R
05-27-2005, 04:16
Working with high speed packaging machinery as I do, we have literally hundreds of different air cylinders out on the floor in the machines. I can plainly see potential problems using a cylinder in that environment. A periodic dash of airline oil would probably help. You can get cylinders made of different materials to better withstand different operating environments, although it often has more to do with the seal types than the bodies. I have never seen one of these units, but I would guess you can get a better cylinder. All you need is the bore and stroke, and mounting configuration, and thread type. Also, you want to know the closed and open dimensions. Make sure the body will fit within the area you have to mount it. You can also opt for cushions at the end of travel to keep from slamming the cylinder if you are using no flow controls. You may want to take a look at http://www.smcusa.com to get some ideas. So far as the switch goes, there are many of those to choose from that are also probably of a better quality/heavier duty. I would stop in a local supplier of industrial machine parts (cylinders, bearings, gearbox's, motors, chain, belts, switch's, etc.) and look at some catalogs and talk with them. Hope this helps.

Steve

tpitt
05-27-2005, 04:23
John,
The only time I've seen a BD exhaust brake on a Duramax hang up in the cylinder was before they started putting on the remote air vent. I've only had the one and after a new cyl. and a remote vent installed on it problem solved. This guy was a contracter and went through some wet places with his brake turned on.
They've eliminated the microswith and it is all electronic. The latest ones even cycle the brake when you start the vehicle. You want to cycle the brake often. Terry

tanker
05-29-2005, 16:58
I had a BD brake on my 95 suburban for 7 years and never had a problem. It did operate via vacuum, not air, and it did have a vent with a filter. I used it a lot even when not towing to save on brake wear. It had an aluminum cylinder right next to the brake and I'm sure plenty of heat was on the side closest to the brake. Never hung up, never stuck, and I never did anything but a few sprays of WD-40 on the linkage twice a year. By the way, it was not dealer installed, I did it myself. I took care to plumb it correctly. I'm now looking into one for my 05, but heard that my dual alternators may affect the installation. Will see when the time is right. smile.gif

tpitt
05-30-2005, 06:05
Tom,
The dual alternaters aren't a problem. For stock exhaust you need Part # 1024318DA.
4" exhaust you need part # 1024319DA.
Also if you have a stock exhaust and decide to go to a 4" later on you can always get an adapter. The brakes are all 4".
These mount the compresser under the left front fender brace. All of them used to mount there, but with a 6 speed the clutch parts are in the way.
Now if you have a six speed with dual alt. you have a problem. :D Terry On edit. Above numbers are for LLY's
They have a different electronic controller. I believe they will also work on LB7's without a problem.
I had a problem with the early controller on a LLY. The LLY will shut off the back pressure to the brake. Christian at BD sent me a controller to try on my pick/up which solved the problem. Mine wasn't as bad as another one I had installed previously. Put the new style controller on the problem truck and problem solved.
I stand behind my statement. I don't believe anyone makes a better brake than BD.
I've been up there at least 6 times for Dealer & Dyno days. Was up there in April and stayed at the the gentlemans house who designs the exhaust brakes. I recommend all BD Dealers attend thier training at least once in awhile. Maybe even John could learn something. :D They will also take suggestions from the field. How many other manufactures will do that?

[ 05-30-2005, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: tpitt ]