PDA

View Full Version : Mega Filter - Air Problems and Lift Pumps

Chris Todd
05-27-2005, 17:19
Ok Guys

LanduytG
05-28-2005, 10:43
IMHO the Mega is a great filter but the issue with air has got to be and air leak. I have a secondary Baldwin on my truck and started having stalls when you would first start it up. This was all for no reason after thousands of trouble free miles. What I did was take a vacuum pump and started blocking off lines and drawing a vacuum. It did take long to find the leak. Fixed and life is good once more.

I beleive these issues are leak related. Nature hates a vacuum and it will certainly casue trouble.

Greg

chrisinkanata
05-28-2005, 14:32
Please excuse my stupidity, however, when you say you took a vacuum pump and blocked off lines to test for leaks, am I correct in assuming you are refering to fuel lines? I have a Mity Vac kit that I could use if I could get adapters that I am sufficiently confident in. Having used it countless times in the past, my concern is the quality of the seal at whatever adapter I'm using for the system at hand.

Chris

LanduytG
05-28-2005, 16:08
Yes a Mity Vac is what I used. I feel the quick connectors at the tank can be a problem. Its just O-rings in the and they can leak. I have seen those leak on other vehilces.

Greg

Chris Todd
05-29-2005, 02:59
Greg.

Where was the leak in your system....

LanduytG
05-29-2005, 03:19
Mine was in a hose fiting.

Greg

jbplock
05-29-2005, 07:17
I had air in my original Post-OEM Mega Filter setup and it was completely cured by adding a lift-pump (http://community.webshots.com/album/77018086bLHHHC). Prior to installing the lift pump I did extensive tests looking for leaks and found none. I

Chris Todd
05-29-2005, 07:49
I read everything I could find on this. Because this was nothing more than a dual element change on a perfectly running install, it eliminates allot of the speculation, like out-gassing, that ran rampant on the other threads.

It's possible I disturbed a hose fitting, but not likely. I am not a big believer in coincidences when all I did was replace two elements.

This is unbelievably frustrating. It ran perfect for tens of thousands of miles. 15,000 to be exact without touching the OEM or mega bleeder after an OEM filter change. Then BOOM.

First I tightened the OEM filter.

Second I replaced the Bleeder Valve on the Mega with a 1/8th inch fuel line hose and ball valve after I broke the original bleeder (leaving the truck undrivable).

Third, I replaced the OEM filter and took careful to grease the o-rings appropriately including the third o-ring on the water in fuel sensor.

Forth, I replaced the ball valve bleeder assembly with a new Bleeder valve from Kennedy.

Fifth, I put an additional quarter turn on the Mega and worked on the Mega water / sediment drain valve to make sure it was tight.

Last, I replaced the Mega element itself yesterday. Cleaned the mount and used dielectric grease on the Mega element o-ring like JK said. I did notice that the water separator fitting on the end of the MEGA element I took off looked

Kennedy
05-31-2005, 10:29
I've beat myself up over the air issue, and finally decided to accept it as a strange phenomenon without any real consistency. Since adding a lift pump, we've had zero issues with air entrapment. Those using the orifice plug (simple "band-aid" approach) have also reported zero air issues.

This weekend I had a chance to install a pair of Kennedy lift pumps and control harness on my 2005 truck.

Pics to follow:

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2005, 15:16
JK

I sent you an email a couple days ago regarding Mega/air. Did you not get it? Let me know, and I'll resend it if necessary. Thanks

Kennedy
06-01-2005, 05:26
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
JK

I sent you an email a couple days ago regarding Mega/air. Did you not get it? Let me know, and I'll resend it if necessary. Thanks Better resend it. I've had some minor technical difficulties as of late that should now be corrected.

Kennedy
06-01-2005, 06:47
As promised:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=3&SubCategory=157

We'll have about 18 units (not likely to fill all back orders) ready to ship late this week, and a whole bunch more next week!

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Twin_pumps_tank_shield.jpg