PDA

View Full Version : Electric brakes

2002chevy
05-28-2005, 19:28
I have a 2002 chevy w/duramax. Has towing package. I need to hook up electric brakes and lights for my camper. Does anyone have any suggestions on which brakes are the best and easiest to install?? And how to get the lights to work ( they come on when lights on truck are on but no turn or brake lights) I bought truck used. Owners manual talks about a cable that came with truck but I cannot find it or the adaptor for the four way plug. Thanks for any help. Also have you used any of the programers that are talked about for more horse power.

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2005, 06:47
Welcome to the forums!

The wire harness you heard about should have come with your towing package. It plugs into the under-dash bus behind the E-brake pedal. Only a plastic fastener holds the cover on, and the plug on the harness will only fit in one slot. There should also have been a Maxi-fuse that comes with the harness. The fuse goes into the trailer power supply in the under-hood fuse box, on the driver's side fender.

If you get a harness, make sure it is for a 2001 or 2002. The 2003 and later are different.

There are several controller brands, and each operates on a different principal. The best, IMO, is the Jordan controller. It has physical linkage that connects to the brake pedal. Others use either application timers or inertia sensors. They all work and are all about the same price range for features, except for Jordan, which is considerably more $$. Compare each brand's features with your needs. A local RV shop can help you decide. You may also get some good advice in the Towing forum. There are some genuine RV tech's that hang out there.

Programmers? Search the forums. 1000's of opinions on that.

I'm moving this post to the Accessories forum.