PDA

View Full Version : 05 lly scared to touch it

JD Diesel
06-01-2005, 19:22
:D When I bought the thing I wanted to make it my hot rod. And my towing monstor. Hell what the heck I'm 48-49 it's time I had a toy RIGHT??? :D But after reading all the problems with adding hop up items making the truck throw codes on the compter things not working right the warrantee issue. :mad: I'm scared to do anything to it. I really wanted to do the banks stuff really like what they had to offer and all the safe guards built into the system. Sounded really good to me. but now I don't know if I should play with the thing or wait until it's out of warrente. What do you think or do you have any options. Anything will help :confused:

olimaxx
06-01-2005, 20:07
hey jd i have the same truck with a 6" lift. i put the volant cold air intake , the rbp 4" exhaust and the edge with attitude. no problems with mine it hauls ass. i pull cajon pass at 70mph with a 12,000 pound toy box trailer. go for it. i also live in ontario ca. gary's sport truck did all my goodies.

Craig M
06-02-2005, 15:41
Keep your eyes out for the CHP at 70 mph. As soon as you hook up a trailer in California your speed limit is 55 mph. Got a ticket for 65 in a 70 mph area a few monthe ago, hauling an empty trailer.

Dave
06-08-2005, 02:48
I just took delivery of an 05 CC D/A 3500 4x4. I have a few questions about the LLY and chiping it.

I had a early 01. I had just over 18,000 miles on it before I chipped it. I got one of the first Edge Juice boxes for it. I loved it and towed many miles with it. Truck had 122,000 miles on it when I traded it. No ill effects from being chipped for 100,000 miles. I also had the juice flashed to HOT when it becam available.

My questions are:

How many miles should I put on the new truck before chipping it?

I pull 12,500 pounds with the truck, what box is best for the LLY?

Is the Jucie still a good choice for towing and performance?

Does the attitude for the jucie do a good job replacing gages? Easy to read and use?

Does any one do trades for the older jucie box for a new LLY version?

Thanks in advance for the Help. John Kennedy was very help full with the first juice information on the 01 truck.

Kennedy
06-08-2005, 04:47
A couple hundred easy miles to let the rear diff "season" would be best, then I prefer to change oil, and tow a solid load with a box. Cylinder pressure seats rings and your best break in will come with solid boost levels and load at moderate RPM's. Change oil again.

Edge Juice or EZ are good choices as is the Diablo Predator. I've heard good things about the PPE Xcelerator and Quadzilla tuner, but haven't had them in yet. The VA works REALLY nice, but the top level is far too strong for a stock Allison limiting it to a single tune box.

The Edge Attitude is a solid replacement for gauges. We've seen more display and thermocouple issues than should be expected, but Edge's warranty is VERY good. Most are selling their old units outright.

Dave
06-08-2005, 06:21
Thank you for the quick reply John. I had great results with the Juice box on the 01 you sold me. I also loved it after it was upgraded by you to hot. It was always in hot mode unless I was towing.

I know the Edge was easy to remove before taking to dealer, and its use was not detected. Are other boxes the same way?

I am leaning to the edge juice with attitude due to I had such good luck with the last one and it was easy to get it updated for impovements made to the program.

If removing the edge juice for dealer warrenty work does the attitude monitor have to come out also?

Is the attitude monitor any more difficult to install than gages?

I ask about removal for warrenty because as you know its easier if the dealer does not know any modifications were done to the truck. Never was an issue with the 01 but do not want to take chances.

I would also like to know more about the VA. Does it have adjustable levels like the Juice? I do not plan on stacking boxes, running propane or such. Just a box, exhaust and air intake.

My understanding is a 60~70 hp level is maximum for towing safely. About 125hp for empty with stock allison. Is this correct?

Are any of the boxes more prone to set codes in the truck or cause other problems. I know the edge did not in my 01.

It seems like you like either Edge or VA for the LLY engine. Any advantage of one over the other?