PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a code and a strange whine

duning chevy
06-08-2005, 10:01
Okay, I have a van aaken chip in my truck along with a 4" exhaust. The truck has been great excpet for the fact that my tranny is about go =P. However, that's not the problem right now. I have been getting a whine on acceleration (not the turbo, before someone asks). It almost sounds like a bearing whine, but it seems to do it in relation to the turbo spooling. For a while it would only do it in the higher setting, then the middle setting, but now it will do it even stock. Before I took it in to the stealer, I wanted to get your opinions on what it could be. The other problem I am having is I am setting a p2227 code. Barometric pressure is what the coede reader says it is, but I don't know what it means. IM not sure if they are connected or not...

Thanks for any help you guys can give,
Zack Paradise

Kennedy
06-08-2005, 10:49
I'll assume this is an LB7. It's hard to dig into the codes w/o a model year. The transmission can make some whine, and the turbo can make a lower pitched whine also.

duning chevy
06-08-2005, 18:49
Sry kennedy, yea it s an 03 lb7 and I know it isnt the normal turbo whine and it doesnt sound like tranny to me... :confused:

Kennedy
06-09-2005, 07:23
I've heard the turbo make a secondary lower pitched whine before.

38MMRACING
06-09-2005, 10:39
Not sure if this will help, but I had a whine coming from the engine compt. of my 2001 last summer. I took it to the dealer and the service dept. determined that it was a turbo charger problem so they ordered a new one. A week later, upon picking my truck up, I talked to the guy who worked on it and he said when he went to take the turbo charger off, he found the bolts to be hand tight. He tightened the bolts and I haven't had a problem since. I'm concerned that the bolts backed out, but it has been fine for a year now.

midwest
06-09-2005, 12:41
Does your truck have a boost gauge and if it does does it build boost as quickly as before? It may be a charge air hose split. It is usually the turbo outlet blue hose with the 90 degree bend.The carge air cooler can be pressurized to check for leaks. With a split in the hose the turbo rpm comes way up to keep up, hense more noise. Just a thought..

duning chevy
06-09-2005, 12:51
Hmm, that is a possiblity, I will check that out, it seems like you would have to take some shrouding off to get to the turbo bolts, is that so?

midwest
06-09-2005, 15:24
I'm not shure I believe a loose turbo mounting bolt could cause your noise.
Yes there is a metal heat shield on the turbo held with 10mm bolts.There are 3 turbo bolts mounting turbo to block.They are 17mm and usually tighter than the hubs of h--l. You can check them if you like.I don't recall what year you have but the 01-02 duramaxes break the lower turbo downpipe support bracket at the rh exhaust manifold.Look at the rh manifold where the flex pipe runs up the back of the motor to the turbo.There is a 3 bolt flange with 15mm bolts and the bottom 2 have a bracket that is welded to the downpipe that usually breaks. Just reweld good. The 03 and newer have a wrap around bracket that flexes and does not seem to break.

This bracket still should not cause the noise you describe. I would still look at the charge air hoses for splits.

duning chevy
06-09-2005, 18:45
Thanks for the help guys, it turns out that it was a coupler on the intake plumbing coming out of the intercooler. Getting on the freeway it popped off, scared the **** outta me, but once I saw what it was, it was an easy fix, retightened the clamp and all is well. Thx :D