PDA

View Full Version : GM Employee Discount

T HAUS6955
06-09-2005, 16:20
Saw the article last week about the discounts, so I got online this week and did some looking on the GM sites.

They got a pretty cool way of trying to fool you with the pricing. If you search for a truck local, it will show the window sticker and then click on the "employee price" tab.

The next screen you see shows the MSRP and then in red, it shows the Employee price. What is very misleading, the price shown includes the $3000 rebate. Just to glance at the price and not read the small print, makes it look very appealing.

Went to the dealership and they show the same price on the sticker. Kinda chickensh*t in my book.

I don't know about nationwide, but the local dealers here won't give you squat for your trade-in cause I'm "getting such a good deal with the employee price". I've got a 2003 GMC D/A Crew cab, 4wd with 45k miles. Excellent condition and they want to give me $22-$24k :eek: :eek:

GM is trying to push some vehicles thru the system, and generate some fanfare, but the dealers are hurting their cause. At least in my neck of the woods.

Anyone else done any dealings this week with the dealers??

OC_DMAX
06-09-2005, 16:45
I wondered how GM was going to get the dealer on-board with the employee discount. The GMS price is lower than what the dealer pays for the vehicle. So, according to what you post, the price the dealer is getting for the vehicle is actually $3000 higher (or above the GMS price) then GM adds in the rebate to lower the net effective price to the consumer back to the employee price (tricky). Hope I got it right!!

T HAUS6955
06-09-2005, 16:59
As an example, the so called "Employee Price" shows $38k,(with the $3k rebate added in) but the actual Employee (GMS) price is $41k.

I'm happy with my current truck other than the color (Dark Grey). It scratches too easy, but it runs great and gets great mileage. I just thought we might upgrade while we had the chance, but no dice now.

Spartus
06-09-2005, 17:43
As an example, the so called "Employee Price" shows $38k,(with the $3k rebate added in) but the actual Employee (GMS) price is $41k.
Ok, makes sense to me.. GMS is 41k.. You can get it for $38k... Where is the big coverup????
I'd be all giddy if I could afford a new truck and get it for 3k BELOW GMS price...

Did I not understand you correctly? You feel you should pay more for the truck?

GMS pricing is a cut and dry NO HAGGLE pricing. The dealership makes no markup on the sale. They get paid by GM for selling the vehicle.

I've purchased my last 4 new vehicles through the GM discount program, and it seems to always make the deal easier.

T HAUS6955
06-09-2005, 19:05
Everything posted in plain view says EMPLOYEE PRICE = $38K letting you think this is the price the employees get and that you are going to pay.

When you ask about financing at let's say 2.9%, they say, "well, you're getting a $3k rebate already with the price at $38k. If you want the 2.9% financing, it will be on $41k."

I ain't b*tchin about the price. It's awesome. I just think it's chickensh*t the way they list the prices and (hide) the rebates in it.

Like you, I bought my current GMC at GMS price with 0% financing when my wife worked for a local dealership.

David Proske
06-10-2005, 00:23
I bought a new home 9 months ago. Before that little ordeal I thought car salesmen and the finance manager were the two most dishonest people in the world short of politicians. After I bought the house I found out that the builder foreman and the closing agents for the mortgage company are a equal in dishonesty.

Dave
06-10-2005, 01:28
Originally posted by T HAUS6955:

I don't know about nationwide, but the local dealers here won't give you squat for your trade-in cause I'm "getting such a good deal with the employee price". I've got a 2003 GMC D/A Crew cab, 4wd with 45k miles. Excellent condition and they want to give me $22-$24k :eek: :eek:

Yes I cought the 3000 being included in the price on the web site. I just took it as they were trying to show the best possible price I could get.

Local Dealer was real good and up front. Went in and he showed my MSRP of 51,*** and then the GMS of 41,***. He then said I could also get either low finance rate or a 3000 rebate. Real fair and up front if you ask me.

He then asked if I was trading, I said yep. He said you understand you will only get wholesale for your truck as we are selling at wholesale. I said ok, let me see what that is. ( I knew, had my bank use my VIN to get me Loan, Wholesale, and retail for its milage.) Dealer came back and said 16,000 for the truck. I told him that was lower than wholesale and loan. But I would do the deal if he gave me wholesale. He came back with 18,000 which was wholesale. Truck I traded was a 01 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 LT with the Duramax and allison, 2 wheel drive.

OC_DMAX
06-10-2005, 03:58
I have had access to the GM Employee discount for about 20 years now. Each time a relative or myself has purchased a vehicle, the trade-in values are "low". After all, wholesale is wholesale. And usually, they are offering even less that wholesale as mentioned above. The dealer is making minimal profit on a GM Employee. I have gotten used to just selling the used vehicle private party.

The GM Discount is a great way to purchase a vehicle though. Non of the usual dealer BS.

browntrout
06-10-2005, 06:07
to begin with hello all first post.

I just purchased through the discount and couldn't be happier. I had sold me 97 Chev several weeks ago so I didn't have a trade. I was given a flat no haggle price that was $10,000 below MSRP which I figured to be at least $1,500 under invoice. It was the most painless purchase I've ever been involved in. They didn't try and rake me for glass etching, delivery or set-up. Just the price plus doc fee, tax and license. Just find a dealer that's using this program the way it's meant to be and you should be happy with the price. It's definitley going to kill the used market.

SHOPMAN426
06-10-2005, 15:14
Ok, I have to bring this up. As I read these posts it sounds like a new truck with all the bells and whistles is costing $51,000 MSRP? How can that be? My 2002 has everything but Two extra wheels and tires on the back axle and it's MSRP was $46,000 and change. That's only four years, I can't beleive that vehicle costs have gone up $5000.00 since 2002. No wonder they aren't selling any vehicles. Instead of laying off 25,000 employees, maybe the big boys on top should take a pay cut. It's amazing how far a few million will go to pay the workers salary that's on the assembly line. One gets a little bitter after the CEO of a company that he works for, takes your retirement and skips the country.

Shopman426,
Mike. :eek: :eek: :eek:

browntrout
06-10-2005, 16:50
MSRP on a loaded LS is $44,000. Is there $7,000 more in an LT?? I haven't seen a Chevy sitting on the lot with more than about a $46,000 MSRP, but I guess maybe a special order might be??

SHOPMAN426
06-10-2005, 18:05
My SLT was a special order. In June of 2001 I sat down with the dealer and wrote up my new rig. I paid $500.00 over dealer cost at the time. I ended up between $38,000.00 and $39,000.00, I remember it being closer to the lower number. Upon taking delivery of the truck in late August it had the window sticker in the back set. I laughed at the price, who in their right mind would pay $46,000.00 for a truck.

Shopman426,
Mike.

SHOPMAN426
06-10-2005, 18:09
I need to make a correction. I didn't order the aluminum wheels since I wanted to put larger wheels on right away. I don't remember that option changing the price by $5000.00

Shopman426,
Mike.

OC_DMAX
06-11-2005, 05:01
Probably the easiest way to see the cost of these vehicles would be to go to something like Kelley Blue Book online (www.kbb.com) and price up a new vehicle with everything!

GM has gone way overboard on the pricing of these trucks. Jack up the MSRP and then offer $5K rebates to make the consumer think they are getting a great price. They need to rethink their entire pricing structure.

SHOPMAN426
06-11-2005, 06:54
It reminds me of the furniture stores. They would close the store on a Thursday so they could mark the furniture prices up so they could show you how they marked the prices down for a big weekend sale. So many people buy into this. As OC_DMAX stated, ;) I too used Kelly Blue Book to get a starting price before I went to the dealer.

Shopman426,
Mike.

browntrout
06-11-2005, 10:38
Regardless of MSRP no one should pay more than fair market value. Consumers drive the market not manufactures. Manufacturers can only sell them for what people are willing to pay. MSRP minus $5,000 in rebates would've been $5,000 more than what I paid for my truck, that would've been my fault not Chevy's. You can't blame them for allowing people to pay them as much as possible for their product.

glamisboy
06-11-2005, 20:49
Help !! The dealer told me today that the price on a 51,000+ truck was 43,000+ (emp cost) then 3000 (rebate)more off, making it 40***, but I'd have to pass up the special apr from gmac.

Thats not how I read it, the price should be around 38,000 (40,000 minus 3000=37,000+). It clearly states at gmbuypower.com "Cash Allowance: Up to $3,000 cash back with GMAC Financing" When you click on employee cost, the little pop-up box says nothing about the cost including the 3000 rebate.

madmatt
06-11-2005, 20:59
don't know much about the prices but,,,, Glamis Rocks!!!!! Dumont is pretty sweet as well :cool:

glamisboy
06-12-2005, 08:13
Originally posted by madmatt:
don't know much about the prices but,,,, Glamis Rocks!!!!! Dumont is pretty sweet as well :cool: Yup, Dumont is 3.5hrs. from my garage to the base of the dunes, in a D'max loaded !!!

glamisboy
06-12-2005, 14:58
Originally posted by glamisboy:
Help !! The dealer told me today that the price on a 51,000+ truck was 43,000+ (emp cost) then 3000 (rebate)more off, making it 40***, but I'd have to pass up the special apr from gmac.

Thats not how I read it, the price should be around 38,000 (40,000 minus 3000=37,000+). It clearly states at gmbuypower.com "Cash Allowance: Up to $3,000 cash back with GMAC Financing" When you click on employee cost, the little pop-up box says nothing about the cost including the 3000 rebate. Called GMbuypower direct today, the price listed DOES include the $3000 rebate in lieu of special apr's. Even after I brought to his attention "Cash Allowance: Up to $3,000 cash back with GMAC Financing". They said that is not the case, either or, not both.

Dave
06-12-2005, 17:46
Called GMbuypower direct today, the price listed DOES include the $3000 rebate in lieu of special apr's. Even after I brought to his attention "Cash Allowance: Up to $3,000 cash back with GMAC Financing". They said that is not the case, either or, not both. [/QB]That is correct. With carefull shoping banks and finance companies you can find a very good rate. I was .5% above the GM financing making the 3000 rebate the way to go.

MikeC
06-16-2005, 14:51
Dealer found a D-Max for me.

Summit White with Dark Charcoal LT Crew Cab SB. The special pricing and rebate knocked $10,200 off the price.

My credit union got me 4.25% for 36 months and 4.99% for up to 60 months.

The rebate and some other financing is the way to go.

Mike

My 96 Suburban is for sale in the Classified forum.

fourtenposi
06-18-2005, 11:05
I just bought a 2005 gmc 2500hd duramax/allison sle,4x4 fully loaded. When the smoked cleared I finance 34000, which include taxes,title and eating about 500 on my trade. The dealer I went to was very fair on my trade, They offered me within 500 of kellys blue book trade in. I went on kelly blue book and to check out what the new truck was worth with 8000 miles on was still worth 39000. A secret to getting good deals on vehicles and trade ins, find the smaller dealers. They are more willing to bend over backwards to make the sale.I found the truck on gmbuypower, I set up the whole deal over the phone, he had all the paperwork done when I got there. They told me what they would give me for my trade without even seeing it. It was one of the most painless vehicles I have ever purchased