PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Bio-Diesel..

Tough Guy
06-12-2005, 09:47
Go here: Bio-Diesel (http://www.biodieselamerica.org/biosite/index.php?id=10,0,0,1,0,0)

I saw this on TV show TRUCKS! today.

The host said the cost per gallon was somewhere around $.70 per gallon....

The machine to "brew" it is $3000 but would pay for itself rather quickly with Diesel at $2.20 per gallon here..

Cheers

Nix
06-12-2005, 20:53
That's awesome!! Thanks Tough Guy, that made my day!! Especially considering I missed Trucks! today...

Idle_Chatter
06-13-2005, 02:38
The opportunity to make your own "Greasile" is interesting. That unit shown on the show, however, is apparently a dicey company in accordance with those who "do the deed."

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2438472&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Kennedy
06-14-2005, 05:46
I haven't looked into this too closely, but what really concerns me is the idea of adding methanol to the mix...

Noal
06-14-2005, 11:28
As always something comes out to make things look so simple and easy. MEOH is used in the bio-diesel process, but to what extent in this process is unclear. The business I am in we manufacture bio-diesel, while it is an easy process, it is a lot more complex than one might thing. I would hate to ruin my $45,000 rig on $.70 cts a gallon exsperiment.

DmaxMaverick
06-14-2005, 20:01
The methanol doesn't stay in the final product. It is either boiled off into the atmosphere, or distilled, condensed, and reused, depending on the equipment you use. The fuel is water-washed, but there is no (virtually, or less than pumped #2) water in the final product. It's all part of the process, and necessary to crack the hydrocarbons from the oil and remove impurities. It would be nice if the Duramax was compatible with B50 or better. I'd be makin' it. Mixing it at only 10% or so wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Noal
06-15-2005, 11:21
DMAX, I couldn't have said it better myself. Didn't want to add that much detail. You definetly know the process. Being the Duramax is only recommented for B-5, I can't see the benefit to make either.

olehoss
06-16-2005, 21:39
Noal, I can buy B100 here in the Phoenix area but am concerned about the mix for the duramax. Where did that info come from? :eek:

Noal
06-17-2005, 06:13
Go to page 5-2 in your Duramax Diesel Supplement Book.
The big problem with using a Higher grade than B5 is temp's you will incurr and the lubrication qualities. I for one am veery much into a lower price for my fuel, and I do feel Bio-diesel is a good alternative, I plan on keeping MY Truck for a lonf time. As time goes I am sure the process will get better, but I have to protect my investment. That is one of the reason's I read this forum.
Last I often wonder if some of the problems the others have had with injectors has been because of this. I guess I should ask. Last, do the pumps at the station tell you the B value, I haven't noticed here in the Houston Tex area.

Kennedy
06-18-2005, 04:51
OK, I'm a bit confused. The lubricity of biodiesel is supposed to be better correct? What influences of temperature are you referring to, cold/gelling? Or is the lubricity better till the temps climb?

We snuck over to the Renewable Eneregy Fair yesterday and I snagged a jug of B100. Figured to try it in the lawnmower first and maybe my JD3720 next.

Kennedy
06-18-2005, 04:55
Saw the Fuel Meister there as well. Didn't talk to the guys, just grabbed a flyer...

pontiac_m18
06-18-2005, 20:09
Looked at "Mother Earth News" magazine yesterdaay & they had a ad for Bio-diesel you can make at home? Web-site was = www.biodiesel.com. (http://www.biodieselsolutions.com.) Just to help out? Howard

[ 06-18-2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: pontiac_m18 ]

Kennedy
06-19-2005, 12:04
Running about 20% blend in my Deere 3720 and it's making a believer out of me! Sure does get rid of the eye peeling odor! Exhaust smell is very pleasant. I also put some (about 40-50% ) in my Deere 455 so we'll see how that does. Had I seen how dramatic 20% was I'd have cut the 455 back to same as the IDI Yanmar isn't much of a stinker in the first place.

Very nice to handle too - no stinky...

nlp
06-21-2005, 16:08
I run B-20 all he time. No problems in 55,000 miles.
2002 D/A 4x4 CC

atvpilot
08-17-2005, 05:36
I saw that show on trucks as well. Here in upstate NY I just filled up and it cost me 2.61 @ gal. Something has to give besides my wallet. I ride my motorcycle to work as often as I can, but these fuel prices have gotten out of control. A couple of weeks ago I watched the price of fuel go up 10 cents a gallon.... Thats in one week. I am interested in hearing of alternative fuels just to not give the government any more of my hard earned money, but in the same sense, I don't want to ruin my truck.
Pilot

More Power
08-17-2005, 07:08
http://www.dieselsecret.com/
http://www.diybiodiesel.com

There's a lot of interest in these sorts of ideas, but the key ingredient is a stable source of used cooking oil. That will be the hardest to obtain, especially if the idea of making biodiesel catches on.

Another alternative might be to filter used engine oil or ATF to 2 micron (or centrifuge out the contaminants), then use this as a cost-effective fuel supplement. Members in Europe have been adding motor oil to their tank for many years. For an earlier mechanical fuel injected diesel, this should work fine, and used oil is easy to obtain. I spoke to a member a few years ago who "recycled" all of his used engine oil and ATF in this manner in his 6.2L Suburban. For a Duramax still in warranty, I'd be a little more cautious...

Jim

oyazi
08-17-2005, 12:22
Many yrs ago while working in the USAF logistic center power generation tech unit, I would listen to the diesel guys talk/instruct to units in the field. I handled the power converters so wasn't knowlegeable about diesel/turbine units. However, I seen them draft msgs and advise over the phone to mix motor oil w/prescribe amounts of mogas to meet a shortage of diesel ~ keep in mind that this classifys as heresay. It was all mysterious to me.