PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Break in

volvo744ti
06-13-2005, 12:01
My Grandfather just picked up an 95 crewcab duramax. The dealer told him not to tow anything for the first 500 miles.

Do you recommend not using synthetic to help seat the rings?

Don't desiels get better after they have been worked?

What is an ideal break in?

I am familure with gas engines. I am a member of turbobricks and have 3 volvos and plenty of experiance modding them. But I have a limited knowledge of desiels other than farm tractors and what I have read on Turbo Dodge Registry.

thnkas

More Power
06-13-2005, 13:49
You'll hear lots of opinions on engine/drivetrain break-in, but here's mine.

1- Drive it easy for the first 200-500 miles, then change the engine oil and oil filter. This removes a majority of the assembly lube, any possible manufacturing debris, and early wear metals.

2- Then, run the engine more or less normally, but I wouldn't tow heavy till past 1-2K miles.

3- Change the rear differential lube after 500 towing miles or 10,000 unloaded miles. Expect to see some metal on the differential drain plug magnet.

If you want to run synthetic motor oil, I'd wait till after about 5K miles.

MP

mark45678
06-20-2005, 17:11
My thoughts.... run it easy for the first run out of the box for say around 1~2 hours let it cool off heat cycle it again . once you have 1000 miles on it change the engine oil, at this time if your going to do some towing soon change the T case oil and rear end! both my 2001 and 2004 had LOTS of fine metal in the oils....