PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Hoot

SoCalDMAX
01-29-2002, 18:07
Hoot,

I'm getting ready to hook up the propane I have a 27gal vapor draw tank and PS2000 kit. 6700mi on the truck, I feel confident that I can install it and not sweat having to go to the dealer for any engine related warranty work.

I've looked at all of your pics. Any tips, tricks, suggestions, setup advice would be greatly appreciated. please email me at: socaldmax@home.com.

Thanks in advance, Steve

------------------
'02 2500HD 2WD LS, grey, CC, SB, D/A, locking diff., alloys, trailer and towing pkg. Delivered 11/09/01
So far:
Bully Dog Max Power Plug, 255/85-16 Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires, pillar mounted SPA Boost/EGT/oil press./temp gauges, CD/MP3 player, 4-6.5" component speakers, 2-10" subs,1200W of Visonik audio power, Valentine One, Invinca-shield, Bed X-tender, Line-X, Lucerix mirrors, DeeZee running boards, Power tailgate lock, Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller, PIAA headlights, Husky flaps, Amsoil air filter and gear lube, Fumoto valve and tinted windows
Up next:
PS2000 propane, 4" exhaust, high idle, Allison deep sump, tranny oil temp., rear diff. oil temp., Mag-Hytech diff. cover, Spare fuel tank?

Truck Pictures (http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/2002_silverado)

SoCalDMAX
01-30-2002, 11:44
Thanks Hoot!

Invaluable info that I would have found out the hard way if not for Hoot and this forum.

I'd also like to share that I bought this system used, but the mfr, Diesel Performance Products gives great customer service regardless. I received the following email shortly after my first post:

Dear Steve,

I saw your post on The Diesel Page.

The Powershot is set up for the Dmax, ready to bolt on. The setting we have has been the best for the Dmax. I think you will be pleased right from the get go, and not have to do too much adjusting at all.
Please be cautious with the Powerplay you are using, and be conscious of any noises. If you tow, you may want to just use the Powershot, or the module so as not to set off any codes. If you get a SES light with both, let me know, I have been working on a MAP adapter that will stop codes.

If you have any questions or need any assistance with the installation, please feel free to contact us anytime. I am sure Hoot/mike will be able to offer you valuable insight as well.

Sincerely,
Keith Long
Diesel Performance Products

Then an hour later, I received a second email, just as informative with owners manual attached. The info was great, but just as important is the service.

In an age where I can't even get a burger ordered my way without offering to find the mgr other employment, it is a great pleasure to me to deal with someone who cares and is committed. In actuality, everyone I've dealt with in the aftermarket diesel world has been committed to excellence and customer service. I hope we all continue to vote with our wallets and keep other merchants we deal with just as honest and committed.

Stepping off soapbox.

Regards, Steve

------------------
'02 2500HD 2WD LS, grey, CC, SB, D/A, locking diff., alloys, trailer and towing pkg. Delivered 11/09/01
So far:
Bully Dog Max Power Plug, 255/85-16 Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires, pillar mounted SPA Boost/EGT/oil press./temp gauges, CD/MP3 player, 4-6.5" component speakers, 2-10" subs,1200W of Visonik audio power, Valentine One, Invinca-shield, Bed X-tender, Line-X, Lucerix mirrors, DeeZee running boards, Power tailgate lock, Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller, PIAA headlights, Husky flaps, Amsoil air filter and gear lube, Fumoto valve and tinted windows
Up next:
PS2000 propane, 4" exhaust, high idle, Allison deep sump, tranny oil temp., rear diff. oil temp., Mag-Hytech diff. cover, Spare fuel tank?

Truck Pictures (http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/2002_silverado)

SoCalDMAX
01-30-2002, 11:49
Hoot,

Another question. I have the Allison deep pan. Painted it black, debating whether to put a US flag sticker or a bowtie sticker on it. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/wink.gif

The real question is, I want to tap it for the 1/8" NPT temp. sensor before I drop the original pan. I know there's a big honkin oil pickup in there, so which side would you recommend I tap the hole to clear any internal obstructions?

Also, there are more propane tanks where this came from. Someone from the forum came by and picked up a 39gal across the bed tank for about 1/3 of what they cost new. If anyone wants one...

Thanks in advance again.

Regards, Steve

[This message has been edited by SoCalDMAX (edited 01-30-2002).]

hoot
01-30-2002, 14:02
This is the best I can do. I don't think the screen is near as wide as the pan. It may be safer to do the hole when you do the swap. It's sheet metal so I don't see tapping it. You may need a bung or a nut and gasket. Maybe drill a hole and weld a nut on the inside. Some straight threads can be tapped into tapered threads of the same dia. if you need tapered. Looks like if you put it in the rear you wont hit anything.

[ 08-19-2004, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

SoCalDMAX
01-30-2002, 14:53
Thanks again, Hoot!

That explained it perfectly. You're right, a bung would be the best way to go.

Regards, Steve

Joe Dawson
01-30-2002, 16:45
I think I read in a post that Napa sells a hollow bolt that is used to plumb a temp sensor in the diff cover or transmission pan.

------------------
2001 GMC 2WD 2500 HD D/A CC Long Bed 6500 lbs.
AirLift Superlifts, Lucerix Mirrors
Fumoto Drain Valve, Delvac 1
Amsoil Dual Remote Oil Filter
Chieftain Air Horns
53 Gal Fuel Tank Toolbox Combo
DTA Running Boards

2001 Sunnybrook 31ft. BWFS
Precision Temp Tankless Water Heater
Jordon Ultima Controller
Honda EU 3000 Generator

HESS101
02-13-2003, 11:01
Hoot,
I am soon going to install a SPA gauge.I noticed when you tapped your exhaust and threaded your probe in, it looked like you used some sort of thread goo. It was oozing out around the threads.
What was the stuff you used?
thanks,
Steve

hoot
02-13-2003, 11:22
Hi temp anti-sieze compound. Pick it up at your local auto parts store. If you want the brand I used you'll have to wait till I get home and find the package.

77TransAm
02-13-2003, 11:51
SoCalDMAX, two more options for your sump temp:
I've seen drain plugs drilled for 1/16" pipe thread and the probe installed there, but my favored location is in the driver's side dipstick hole plug. Just remove the plastic plug, grind the head off flush, and drill and tap it for your probe. There's plenty of meat on that plug for 1/8" pipe, and as long as the probe is long enough to reach the fluid that is an excellent place for a reading. (The hot run band is 10-20mm above the pan splitline, so it doesn't have to be very long.) Just more choices for you........ smile.gif

HESS101
02-13-2003, 12:06
Thanks Hoot,
Relax when you get home! I am familiar with permatex brand by Loctite. I will get some when I pick up my tap. As for the preasure sensor, do you or anybody know the inside dia. of the waste gate hose? I thought I would put a"T"in with the 1/8 npt, but don't know what it is without cutting it. I would like to know I can find the "T" before I cut anything.
Thanks again for your help!
Steve

hoot
02-13-2003, 13:23
When I purchased mine, it came with all that stuff. I didn't use the tee cause I welded a bung on the intake pipe.

I'm not sure if I have the parts but if I have them I'll send them out to you. I'll never use it.

HESS101
02-13-2003, 17:37
Hoot,
Thanks. I might feel better doing the T if it is what most are recommending. The plus is I can move it to another vehicle if I trade down the road (2010)and don't have to weld. I think mdrag did the tee but looking for advice. I would appreciate the tee if you won't need it.

Thanks again
Steve

[ 02-15-2003: Message edited by: HESS101 ]</p>

hoot
02-13-2003, 19:04
HESS101,

Bad news. I just looked in the box and all they sent me was the small plastic line and a few brass fittings that may or may not work but no "T".

I'll send that. At least it's something.

Got your address, now get if off the internet ;) Not a good idea.

My email is hoot@uscom.com

Email your full name.

Mike

[ 02-13-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>