PDA

View Full Version : FPPF & SES?

Luis
02-02-2003, 07:47
Put some KILLEM in my fuel the other day (Wednesday). Let it sit over night. Wife drove truck next day; approx. 60 miles no problem no SES. Next morning (Friday) she went to drive it and the SES light was on. I drove it when i got home seems OK but I'll let it sit in garage over weekend. Still on today (Sunday) and taking it to the shop in the a.m.
Is this just a coincidence?
Any thoughts?
I'll post the dealers findings later. :confused:

srubrn
02-02-2003, 09:27
Did you use your block heater?

Luis
02-02-2003, 19:15
srubrn...no I haven't used the block heater. Even at 5 deg.f it starts right away. Asked the wife if she waited till the "wait to start" light went out before starting. (I should have known better) Of course she did. She said (now she tells me) that when she put it in reverse to back out of the garage the "R" indicator on dash flashed and it did not go into gear right away. It was about 37 deg. f outside. Hope I find out tomorrow. I'll update when known. Wish me luck.....

mark45678
02-02-2003, 19:47
My guess based on past history with my D-max its possible that the fuel filter is at the end of its service life! The Most I have ever got from a fuel filter is 18K..... how many miles does your have on it? I would guess if you had dirt fuel this would be hard to get 18K out of a filter.... Hope this helps good luck!

oyazi
02-02-2003, 23:24
Luis ~ could it be that all the 'em fatalities from the Killem is clogging the filter now? :rolleyes: Per the manual, the dealer may not view your efforts kindly.

pinehill
02-02-2003, 23:47
Luis,

The flashing gear indicator is the classic symptom of a failed NSBU switch (on the Allison). You can point your dealer service people in this direction when you take it in, or, if you're out of warranty, you can replace it yourself by buying an improved model of the switch at an Allison dealer for about $50. Do a search on NSBU here.

[ 02-02-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

Kennedy
02-03-2003, 08:45
Oyazi has a good point. I think that in light of the bonehead "no additive" policy set forth by GM in the owners manual, I would deny the knowledge of any additive in the tank.

I'd also NOT even bring up the potential for bacteria even being there in the first place.

My suggestion first and foremost is to do your housekeeping and make SURE the fuel system is clean...

george morrison
02-03-2003, 14:30
I am in total agreement with John Kennedy. Your vehicle may well have been infected with Microbes/algae and the addition of the Killem may have created gazillions of dead bodies that downstreamed to the filter.
As we have discussed many times, NOT using a high quality fuel additive is like playing Russian Roulette with so much low quality, water and microbe contaminated fuel out there. Any signs of corrosion anywhere in a fuel system is an automatic warranty disavow. There is a local dealer who currently has three 6.5TD trucks sitting in his lot, waiting for repairs; the owners cannot afford the $3,000+ cost for complete new fuel systems the dealer says they need due to system corrosion..
Regular fuel additization minimizes the risk of water, microbes, corrosion plus keeps injectors as new. And additional cetane boost is worthwhile given our higher performance engine!
George Morrison, STLE CLS

dmaxstu
02-04-2003, 15:43
Please tell me again what is considered a high quality fuel additive I'm about to fill up my 135Gal. auxtank and would like to add some. I don't think gelling is an issue here in N. California although I'll be driving the truck over the Tehachapi mountains on the way to Vegas this Sunday. Stu

Luis
02-06-2003, 04:38
UPDATE!! To cover all responces first I must say Thank You to everyone for all the help and info!
The fuel filter has only 250 miles on it. I changed it just prior to putting in the Killem. I have spares in the truck and plan on changing after I burn this tank and maybe one more tank of fuel. I will do as suggested (use an additive with each fill-up)by GM & JK, as they are right it's pay now or pay more later. I thought it was going to be the fuel system and/or filter. Luckley it's not. The dealer (who I would NEVER tell I put the additive in the first place) scanned the ecm and found two history codes. The SES light turned off half way to the dealer.The codes were P0700 and P0847. It turnes out the flashing indicator theory is correct and TAC recommended they replace the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH in the tranny. I overheard the shop mgr. tell the service writer TAC said they had had a number of these switch failures due to corrosion. Probably just bad switches IMO. They ordered a switch and I'll have them put it in since I am extreamly busy this time of the year.
Once again thanks to all and I'm going to keep ordering the Killem from JK and keepmy fuel system healthy, it's worth the effort.
Later and ....Be Safe!