PDA

View Full Version : Lost one !!!!!

mackin
02-02-2003, 13:47
A screw !!!!!!!

I know what your thinking.....I'm still "KING" of the road.....

Screwing around with the AFE Magnum Force assembly, when swapping over mass air sensor,I put stock ACME thread looking screw down and you guessed it, the neighbors dog must have came and ate it .....

So what are my options, call dealer and say a friend, not me, or does one of you have an idea or source???? Do new screws come with a new mass air sensor???Not that I want to, but I could panhandle it someday. Or perhaps need one running that AFE.....

Not sure on the dog so don't even suggest it !!!!!!

Went for a short burst with the AFE no real difference other then a slight increase of Turbo whistle....I will take it out for further observations tomorrow....See if it's worth it .....

I can report that the stock air snorkel with about 20k on it is really squeaky clean with Amsoil filter in place.....

Sandy as H3LL so I will be taking the AFE off till spring at any rate,regardless....The trust factor in these sandy conditions just isn't there....If you hold it up to the light, just seems TO open cell to protect as well as the AMSOIL .....I am going to wrap it....
It does rank up there with the COOL factor in looks.....

Just need to get a screw, now..... :(

HELP !!!!!! Or don't let me near your open hood.....

MAC :D :D :D

MadDuraMax
02-02-2003, 14:15
Mac,

We always knew you were short a screw or two!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Look at McMaster Carr's web site. They are pretty complete when it comes to hardware, ship fast and have reasonable costs. Beats the heck out of going to the Stealer with a long story...then again... :D :D

mackin
02-02-2003, 17:24
MadDuraMax

I'll certainly take a look ..I have there most recent catalog in my office.....Will look for a screw that will hopefully match the threads,to use stock snorkel....Thanks...

Would be nice to have the tamper proof OEM screws ,as not to stir up a bees nest at the dealers....

MAC

[ 02-02-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

biglouieky
02-02-2003, 22:33
Mack ---maybe the mockingbird took it?

7mmSTW
02-02-2003, 23:13
I have been wondering, does Amsoil make a filter that will fit on the AFE unit? If so it might be the way to go.

oyazi
02-03-2003, 00:00
When my mutt was a pup, she ran off w/the lugnut key. Didn't eat it as eventually, we found it in the weeds. You guessed it, her name is LugNut.

Toddster
02-03-2003, 08:37
Not sure that I follow you here slick....The stock MAF sensor screws are tamper proof unless you the correct tool like me ;) Your AFE should have supplied you with 2 regular old phillips type screws to replace the stock ones....

mackin
02-03-2003, 09:37
Toddster

Yup did that...But when I removed the Tamper proof I set them down and, well, one vanished......

Dude lots of turbo noise with this setup.....But when I see a wind dust storm I cringe.....

Mc Master Carr has same type of screw but in phillips.....The also sell the tamper proof torx head screws but not in a plastic thread....I will order some to see if they will work with courses thread avail....

But still looking at all avenues to get OEM ones....

MAC

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

dieselburb
02-03-2003, 10:06
Ditto on the turbo whine with the AFE. Had SES light come on and took it back to the dealer with oem airbox re-installed, but not fastened to the plate. Service writer asked how I liked the gauges where they were placed and then asked if I would do his?!!! Turns out, solenoid controller in the fuel rail set the light, they didn't even notice the airbox, but I felt the power difference, and all the techs liked the gauge install. Go figure. Anywho, I say just use a phillips head from the catalog, but if you really need an extra, I'll swap you for one of mine. Good luck

Toddster
02-03-2003, 11:51
Mackdaddy, have you had an oil analisis done so we can make a comparison with the AFE installed ? :confused:

MadDuraMax
02-03-2003, 15:09
Mac,

Worst case is you'll have to tell the stealer one screw backed out and you'll need a replacement. I hate having to take this approach with them, but lord knows they've done that and worse to me and others here.

Mark

mackin
02-03-2003, 17:11
dieselburb

I'm going to order the phillips and see just how they are.....Chances are the dealer won't notice anyway....Thanks for the offer....

7mmSTW

Wouldn't that be nice as the real turbo whine really comes with removing the silencer being the box......

Toddster

Most definitely I will run some oil analysis.....Oh William you got mail.....

MadDuraMax,

Possibility if the phillips don't work and a reason why I replaced.....
======================================

It really ranks up there with COOL factor as I said, and it does whine like crazy, but if it jeopardizes long term I will not use.....Popping the hood with all the tubes running under the 6.6 cover looks awesome.....I'll take some PICS .....I'm going to pull, when I get the screws, and run AMSOIL till the sand is cleared up, reinstall when a draw of cold air intake will be more warranted as to the cold temps now....I'll pull an oil sample now and after running the AFE a couple months in the late spring early summer....

MAC

mowser
02-03-2003, 19:02
mackin,

Concerning your new AFE, I'd put a pre-filter on it, like those made by Outerwears. I've used them on my last two quads with K&N filters and they keep the air filter clean for a long time.
I just installed the AFE (stage 2) system on mine today and I'll be putting a pre-filter on it in a week or so.... as soon as they get some more in.....

mowser

mackin
02-03-2003, 20:20
mowser

I am going to wrap it ....

Part number Blue =&gt;28-10054...They are unavailable right now but I was told in about a week and a half......They rate it at a max. of . 005 pass able dirt.....That is still a lot of fine dust ...A human hair is . 002 ......So is .005 really something to brag about??These people with there advertisement ploys....

Is that size particle harmless??What is a norm,allowable by specs of other air cleaners ,OEM or aftermarket?? Anyone know??

As I said here in New England it is so dusty this time of the year with sand and salt, I'll just wait for summer ......As this is why and when I want to use any way, Better safe then sorry, when it's warm and considerable less particles blowing around.....The Amsoil I just feel will provide better filtering in this lousy climate,now.....After my truck is parked in the driveway for a day and you could see the fine dirt and dust on it, that I don't see blowing around, you would see my concern.....Just My Opinion, I don't mind changing air cleaner setup with the seasons....

MAC

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
02-05-2003, 17:18
I'm a critic ......Tell you like it is.....

AFE short coming or should I say is to long........The filter ends just under fender hood seam where the rubber flap is....Guess what happens when it rains.....Who has the wet Q-tip now???

Todd'ster where does yours end????Flap or no flap???

Got to look into this and see if tube can be shortened or I will have to install gutters..... :eek:

I don't think I can do, do to the mounting stud and rubber vibration bushing that mounts to the box .....May have to stick some little cocktail umbrellas in it for when it rains.....

New Mass Air with tamper proof screws , 145 American dollars.....From dealer....

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
02-08-2003, 14:28
Those of you waiting for PICS their finally up ....

Had to wait till I had time, and weather, sorry for the delay...I also wanted to fix the rattle or banging noise I was getting, design flaw in my opinion....The metal tube would occasionally bang on the two sided box so I used some door edge guard to put around the hole to cusion,worked great !!!!! Still didn't pin the hood flap back to stop water from getting filter wet....You will see what I mean when you see the PICS....All done now I just have to take it off and put my stock box back in when my buddy drops off my new mass air with screws....LOL

I also put some PICS up of my triple gauge pod in another folder and snuck in a PIC of my high idle and OD lock out switches ......

=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/mackin
Copy Paste or click on my "More D/A Pics" below.....

Take a look around,if you chose to.....

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NWDmax
02-08-2003, 16:17
Very nice Mac,please give us some driving impressions etc.
Blake smile.gif

DMAXED
02-08-2003, 18:27
mackin

I have had the afe stage two on my truck since november I do have the outterwear pre filter at the time it was custom made I have not had any problems with water getting into the filter. I live in newengland too and so far the pre filter keeps the filter clean this system does make more noise, proformance it's hard to tell right now till I can get back to newengland dragway this summer.

RWA II
02-09-2003, 19:34
What did the AFE cost you'll, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
Ron

DMAXED
02-09-2003, 21:06
RWA II

I think it was $275.00 picked it up at jannetty racing

mackin
02-10-2003, 05:36
http://www.usdieselparts.com/ @ $259......

A DP vender......

Just waiting for the WRAP to be available.....

DMAXED

Do you have the "FLAP"??

Water will enter the Filter Box and Get the filter media wet when sitting,rain or water getting in the hood fender seam, seen it with my own eyes.....Puddle in the bottom,slightly damp filter in one spot, and I only washed the truck..... An easy fix nevertheless....Haven't driven it in the rain but I feal it won't be a problem in that aspect.....

Haven't had much driving experience yet with the fuel prices I'm not doing a lot of joy riding now, bare necessities.....

It does SUCK, and I mean that in a good way ..... Just standing next to the open hood with high idle on you can hear the turbo whirling....So far I give it seven "MACS" on fit, due to flap problem,and NO cushion around box where inlet tube can and does make contact and rattle......Easy fixes ,but the consumer has to do it,shouldn't be......Cool factor is ten "MACS".....Filter effectiveness, time and an oil analysis will tell that.....

Toddster
02-10-2003, 07:44
Dude, they should have supplied weather strip for the inlit hole and the top of the box.....I only had enough for the inlet hole....Drunk pre shipping inspectors at AFE....Yep, toob is to long, as for the "flap" I have no ides what you are talking about :confused:

mackin
02-10-2003, 09:41
Toddster

See it here=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/image/12422566

If your flap less, as I suspect, then you have the fender gutter to take water away..... ;)

I had enough weather strip to do top and side.....

DMAXED
02-10-2003, 18:26
Mackin

I do have the flaper i haven't seen any water in the air box yet but just to be safe the outterwear pre filter i got is waterproof. mine came with seals for the top and inlet on air box. next time it rains or when i wash the truck i will look for water.

Tom