PDA

View Full Version : New Duramax, New Member

K1XV
02-03-2003, 15:47
Hello everyone. I have been looking at the Duramax for quite some time now, and finally succumbed to an avalanche of dealer discounts, GM rebates, and an overstuffed GM Card account that had over $5000 toward a new vehicle. On Jan 31 I picked up my Marine Blue GMC CC D/A SLT 4x4 locker differential, skid plated, trailer packaged, etc. etc. pickup, now known as "The Blue Bomber".

I have been lurking DieselPage for quite some time now and have picked up a lot of information here. Mileage (I have only 120 miles so far) as indicated by the information display is outstanding, running about 18 mpg running around at slow speeds with lots of stop and go, up to over 22 mpg at 50 mph on level roads at steady state. Of course, this has been with a feather toe, and once I start to get into it, I am sure things will fall a bit.

I have already ordered my Fumoto valve and shop manuals, and have an appointment for a Line-X next week.

The only thing I am still debating is the motor oil issue. I plan on using 5W40 synthetic in the Vermont winter, but think it may be more cost effective to go with 15-40 Mobil Delvac 1300 the rest of the year, with 3000 mile oil changes. The Duramax owners manual supplement seems quite emphatic that, except in very cold weather, 15-40 is the preferred viscosity. Besides, I can get Delvac 1300 dirt cheap at Costco.

I also have placed an order for a dozen Baldwin oil filters and a spare fuel, transmission spin on, and air filter, also Baldwin. They have volume discounts on filters for purchases of 6 or 12. While I can see going through a dozen oil filters, I don't know how long it would take me to go through 6 of the other filters. The site where I placed my order was http://www.adiesel.com which is a vendor I have not seen mentioned before on DieselPage.

By the way "K1XV" is my amateur radio call sign.

Bye for now,

Ray K1XV

sdaver
02-03-2003, 16:02
welcome............... :D dave

mackin
02-03-2003, 16:19
K1XV

A big welcome to ya....

Couple more southern Vermont'ers and you can have a mini meet and great.....Brandy you got company !!!!!

MAC :D :D :D

MadDuraMax
02-03-2003, 17:17
Welcome aboard Ray, always good to have another D'max owner.

Mark

Seattle Steve
02-04-2003, 01:03
Ray- Congrats on your new truck! Also, thanks for registering. This website is a wonderful resource and the minimal fee will help keep it going. Speaking of resource, if you don't know about rear end break-in, try a "search" by clicking on the menu above to the right. I was amazed at how nasty my fluid was after only 500 miles and it really struck me how important it could be to treat it properly those critical 1st few miles.

K1XV
02-04-2003, 02:53
I forgot to mention in my original post, the Blue Bomber is a 2500HD.

Yes, I have looked at the archives and know about the need for an early gear oil change on the locker rear differentials. I limited the first drive to 10 miles at moderate speed, and the second drive was 25 miles at moderate speed. This truck has not seen 55 for more than 3 miles so far. Already have my Mobil 1 gear oil on the shelf.

The Diesel Page has already given me back information value worth many times the cost of a years membership. I have always been one of those guys who believes that after you have taken a lot out, it is only proper to put something back in.

Ray

MNBowTie
02-04-2003, 13:05
K1XV,

Welcome!

I live in the Minnesota, and I run 5-40 synthectic from November to March. During the remainder of the year, I will use Synthetic if I can get it on sale. Otherwise, I like Quaker State Synthetic blend 4X4 15-40 about 2.24 quart at Wally world. What's a few extra buck's on a $5,000 motor. My two cents worth.

sonofagun
02-06-2003, 15:41
Ray,

Welcome aboard. You've been lurkinga while so you know how great this group is. Glad to have you as a member of the DMAX crowd. Enjoy the ride.

Bob