PDA

View Full Version : Straight pipe question.....

Toddster
02-04-2003, 19:04
Are you straight pipers also cutting off your resonator ? :confused:

BROKERS
02-04-2003, 21:28
YES!We are.Then split into two tail pipes. :D

hoot
02-04-2003, 21:34
Resonator? Is that a California truck? Mine only had a muffler.

TSimpler
02-04-2003, 22:10
I cut out everything that was with the muff.

only one big can to remove, two cuts and sounds great

Jelisfc
02-04-2003, 23:03
How loud are your trucks when loaded? You can never be too loud but my last truck had straight pipes out the back. The first hour on the road sounded cool but after that it was just annoying. Granted it was a 350 turning 2700 rpm so it's not a fair comparision to a Dmax. I have an enclosed snowmobile trailer. Not too much weight but tall and wide.

Toddster
02-05-2003, 07:25
Hoot....I may be from another planet but my truck is a Mass native....So, the resonator is either a Mass requirement or a "03" necessary evil ! :mad: Brokers, can you explain further how you are doing your "dual" exhaust ? :confused:

hoot
02-05-2003, 07:30
Jelisfc,

On the highway on long trips I have no annoying resonance, although that could be my opinion. Some have said they didn't like it but I love it (the sound). I have Flowmaster duals on my Wifes Full size Blazer. It resonates a bit too much.

Toddster,

That's the first I heard of a resonator. Seriously, the 01's only have a muffler except I guess CA also has a Cat.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

TraceF
02-05-2003, 07:58
Hey Todd- long time no talk! I remember reading in one of the forums that JK thought splitting the outlet to 2 tail pipes was a detriment.

Can't remember exactly what he said, maybe he will read here or you could give him a call.

Rebel_Horseman
02-05-2003, 08:20
I'm planning on doing the exhaust mod today after I get off work. The only thing under my rig is the muffler and it's about to go in for a bypass operation. I'm trying to find someone near me that has a digital recorder or somehting so that I can record sound clips and post them.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

Toddster
02-05-2003, 12:35
Hey Trace, yep, would be nice to here from John on this subject cuz I'm not sure how duals could ill effect our trucks.....I don't care what exhaust you buy, the $499 one or the $1299 one, in reality all you are getting is about a 100 degree reduction in EGT's......As for the manufactures 30hp gain claims, when pigs fly ! Admit it Dudes and dudettes you put on these systems for the KOOL FACTOR ! Weather it's the sound or the looks it's still for thr kool factor. Any EGT reduction or HP gain is just a unsung bonus.....That said, IMO there is no single exhaust system on earth that has any kool factor, looks or sound......Me, I gotta have duals, thats why I want Brokers to chime in. ATS makes a BEAUTIFULL dual system, for $1299. Am I gonna spend that kind of money for a claimed "200 to 300 degree reduction in EGT's and a 30hp gain" (again, when pigs fly) NOPE ! Only the kool factor could make me part with that much cabbage ! :cool:

Rebel_Horseman
02-06-2003, 08:17
Well it's complete. Last night me and my friend did the surgery and the muffler is no more. Actually it "fell off" on my ay over there and we just spliced in some pipe where it was. ;) That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have to say my truck sounds so much better. I love the way the straight pipe souns. Maybe one day I'll replace the pipe with a straight thru muffler or a full exhaust system, but for right now I love the sound! At highway speeds there's not much difference than stock, which shocked the hell out of me. With the windows up it's very quiet I think, but when you put the windows down it sounds like a freight train! I can't quit grinning. I just wish I didn't have to work today or I'd be out driving around. :D

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

BROKERS
02-06-2003, 10:03
Toddster,

We use a local steel shop to mandrel bend 4" stainless to our own design.We install it our self.Basically we split it from where the muffler was using a custom made splitter,then we run the pipes out over the axel as a pair.The drivers side then heads infront of the spair tire all the way to the left frame rail,turns at a 45deg and straight out.Passenger side turns right at a 45degree angel and dumps straight out. The trucks pull better in our opinion,we also see about a 1-2mpg gain.Egt's aren't changed signifficanly.The sound is not as blatty at lower rpm.Our trucks work in the upper end of the power band alot and we feel that the split system is quieter,less resonance yet flows good.
As for the resenator,i dont have any , but our trucks are Canadian spec.And yes it looks cool too!LOL!
After 5000mi on the system,the whole thing turns almost a bluish color on the out side.
Later Tom.

hoot
02-06-2003, 10:10
Broker,

Digital camera, 500W worklight....

Get on your butt and get us some pics!

Rebel_Horseman
02-06-2003, 11:43
Ditto!

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

Toddster
02-06-2003, 12:00
Thanx Broker, I agree some pics would be great, sounds like you should be selling these systems....Like to me for example ! Where are you in Mass ? I was a Ma$$hole all my life till last year but still live near the border...Would love to see your creation ! :cool:

Colorado Kid
02-06-2003, 15:44
I believe the wise and powerful politcal leadership in Mass. declared that their citizens would join the lower-left coasters on the required emission equipment levels, so that Mass. native truck probably does have Kalifornia Emissions equipment. :(