PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a good spot for temp sensor?

Buck
10-30-2002, 13:19
I am getting sick of looking at the rear view temp reading. I moved the sensor down about 4 inches(sensor is on the aluminum cross bar below original spot, the plastic shield is below it)so air between bumper and grill blows directly on it but, didn't help. :confused:

BTW I'm not running a fully block grill yet, top 2 corners are tucked behind.

Kennedy
10-30-2002, 13:22
I drilled mine into the upper LH corner of the plastic splash shield and used the factory dart to hold in place.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Buck
10-30-2002, 13:58
JK, where exactly are you talking? Have a pic?

chuntag95
10-30-2002, 14:11
Buck,

What problem are you seeing that you are moving the sensor around? Are you picking up waste heat?

Mic
10-30-2002, 20:05
FYI...

Owners of some 2001 Chevrolet
Silverado or GMC Sierra trucks may
comment that the ambient tempera-ture
reading in the rearview mirror is
too high when the winter front is
installed over the radiator grille to
restrict air flow into the radiator and
increase engine temperature. The sen-sor
is reading the engine compart-ment
temperature instead of the
ambient temperature due to its loca-tion.
Reposition the ambient tempera-ture
sensor to an existing hole on the
radiator support under the left turn sig-nal
assembly. This hole is exactly
opposite the location used to install
the air temperature sensor under the
right turn signal assembly.
Relocating the sensor will elimi -nate
the bracket in the original loca-tion.
The wiring harness will now be
12 inches (304.8 mm) longer than
needed. Neatly bundle the excess
wire and install a suitable tie.
Affected Models:
2001 Chevrolet Silverado C2, C3
2001 Chevrolet Silverado K2, K3
2001 GMC sierra C2, C3
2001 GMC sierra K2, K3

:rolleyes:

Buck
10-31-2002, 11:15
Exactly Chris, "waste heat" trapped behind the cold front.
Example: yesterday when I left for work the temp was 39* by the time I got to work (26 miles)the compass/temp mirror said 58*
It works fine without the cold front on.

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 13:46
That's one good thing about Texas. I really don't need to have the cold front on very much. As a matter of fact, it has never been on the truck, but I have it under the backseat just in case. One time we got to single digits and stayed there for a week. tongue.gif

Buck
11-01-2002, 03:09
Got it moved and it works great now smile.gif ! Put it below the "high" beam light on the LH side, on the plastic shield.

Thanks, JK I figured it out. ;)

It is 24* out now!

jbplock
11-01-2002, 05:33
At what outside temperature should the cover be put on? My 6.5 always ran ok in the upstate NY winters without covers although the 6.5 also would heat up faster than the Duramax. Is the Duramax more sensitive to cold due to its improved cooling capability? I was thinking I wouldn't need the cover unless the temp was below 0 deg F (??).

TDIwyse
11-01-2002, 06:43
Does anybody with a 2002 have this issue, too? Here in Iowa it was 17 F this morning and I used the front cover. On the way to work the mirror temperature was showing 46 F. Guess I'll be changing locations for the sensor. Thanks for the tip.

Kennedy
11-01-2002, 08:43
I did find that I had a picture of mine. I'll try to get it added to Tech Tips along with the Fast Idle that is running as a hot topic as of late.

Buck
11-01-2002, 10:33
Jbplock, I put the cold front on when the daytime temps don't get above 50*. I fold the top outside corners behind, the 2 metal tabs in the cold front above the chrome band get tucked behind with each outside snap then reattach the 2 center snaps. I don't like running a "cold" truck. If I was towing I would definately take it off though.