PDA

View Full Version : fuel

Coldfront
02-06-2003, 09:12
Question on fuel? I live in town (Chicago) an there are not that many diesel pumps. Whould you go with an off brand that appears to be used alot. Or a major brand pump that may not be so well used.I try to stick with shell amoco on my gasser. thanx jim new duramax :eek:

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: Coldfront ]</p>

403turbo
02-06-2003, 12:02
First off........Welcome to the page and the wonderful, whistling, smokin, hard pulling world of diesel trucks! :D

About your question.....the brand name thing is over-rated with diesel fuel. Many companies don't use a "branded" fuel, it is simply whatever comes out of the pipe or whatever they can get that is priced right. The quality of diesel in the US is far less than in Europe. That being said I try and stick with just a few specific stations that get used often by rigs or the local UPS guys. That way I know that the fuel is not just sitting in the storage tanks collecting water and corrosion.

Short answer: Popular diesel stops are better than ones with "brand names"

Also many on this page including myself use an additive with every tank of fuel, this help disolve the free water that can form in tanks. Free water in fuel is fatal to injection systems! :eek:

Additives such as power service, stanadyne or many others that are discussed on this page will work well.

Once again welcome and congrats on the new truck!

ItsMrBill
02-06-2003, 13:41
Speaking of fuel, is it just me or were I live or has the price of diesel fuel jumped quite a bit? Up here in New Hampshire I have seen the price jump .14 per gallon in the last two weeks.

Holeshot
02-06-2003, 22:26
Coldfront
I Live in chicago to and man its impossible to find fuel. I happened to get lucky and fould a station where all the local tow and delivery trucks fuel up at. And its only 5 min from my house. My advice ask a few tow truck drivers, or local freight haulers, they usually know the stations that are pretty busy.

Good luck with your new truck mabey well cross paths someday.

Tony

Man isnt a big bad 4 wheel dually burnout the best!!!! smile.gif

BobW
02-06-2003, 23:19
Yep, prices are up in So. Cal. Diesel now 10 to 15 cents per gallon MORE than unleaded gas! What happened?

Idle_Chatter
02-07-2003, 06:08
Coldfront, I hear that! I got into Chicago very late one night in my 6.5TD Tahoe with a trailer on and very low on fuel. MAN! I had a heckuva time finding a station with diesel! Diesel prices are through the roof with the cold winter and the threat of war with Iraq. I used to get spun up when diesel prices were more than premium gas, but got an explanation that took some (but not all :mad: ) of the sting out of it: Diesel has a shorter refining time, so it is more closely matched to bulk prices. This means that the premium gas being sold is "older" than the diesel because it has been in refinement for some time, and therefore has been produced from earlier and less expensive bulk. It also means that when bulk prices drop, the diesel should go down before the gas for the same reason. ;)

Rebel_Horseman
02-07-2003, 08:03
Prices down here have shot way up in the alst 2 weeks. What really gets my goat is the fact that the dad gum Exxon-Mobil Refinery in about 5 miles form here in the town but all the fuels are higher here than they are 60 miles away! :confused:

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

403turbo
02-07-2003, 11:39
Rebel,

I know I'm from the "invading north", but I have spent a lot of time in BR, and if the south does rise again...thats cool with me.....you guys do it right down there. I could live on mud bug po boys!

That Mobile plant is the largest refinery in the nation isn't it? I drove by on my way to Denim Springs at night, I thought it was part of the downtown skyline...that thing is huge!

I also was amazed that fuel was as expensive as it was.....that whole town is one big pipeline...its not like they gotta truck it far.

ThePend
02-07-2003, 18:30
The price here in SE CT went up 10 cents in one day. Now paying 1.74 per. Can you believe it, here we go again.