PDA

View Full Version : Resonator????

TexasMax
02-06-2003, 10:57
Hey guys new to posting but I have been a member for a year or so.

I have read a few post talking about resonators on the exahust. I have a 2002 that I bought in Texas and it has what I thought was a catalitic converter on it but now I am just confused. Can someone please clarify this for me.

Thanks

Toddster
02-06-2003, 11:47
Ok, on mine you have the turbo downpipe, wich connects to the headpipe, the headpipe is what the resonator is incorporated into, shortly after the headpipe/resonator assembly there is a flange to wich the intermediate pipe is connected, then the muffler, then the tailpipe.....I also wondered if this was a cat but was told by ATS it is in fact a resonator..... :confused:

Colorado Kid
02-06-2003, 15:58
Either of you have a California Emmisions Compliance sticker?

My 2002 (I just looked) has only a flange connection between the Turbo and the Muffler.

I've never, ever seen a "resonator" mounted ahead of a muffler, but I've seen a lot of them mounted downstream of the muffler. Catalytic converter is probably right on the money. :eek:

Toddster
02-06-2003, 16:25
Welp, I have eliminated cats off of about every domestic vehicle you can think of over the years and have never seen a cat that looks like this ! I agree though, every resonator I have seen has been downstream of the muffler....So, is ATS lying to me to sell me a dual exhaust ? Don't realy care cuz whatever it is it's going bye-bye anyway....But, I still want to know what it realy is ! I will go check my emission package and post back..... :cool:

Toddster
02-06-2003, 16:36
Nope...My window sticker states MA/ME emissions...No charge.

Kennedy
02-06-2003, 17:25
Word is, that there has been an inclusion of the extreme northeast in with the CA emissions group...

Toddster
02-06-2003, 17:47
Yeh John, that is interesting....Mine also has an EGR system....Is this on all 03's or just MA/ME/CA ? I gotta hit a CT dealer this weekend and check out an 03.... :mad:

DmaxMaverick
02-06-2003, 18:43
Bet the farm. If it has EGR, it has a cat.
NO exhaust resonation chamber on the Duramax trucks. There is one on the intake, though ('02 and up).

Wheat Whacker
02-06-2003, 22:18
If any body has notices California, Maine, and Massachusetts are the 3 states in which the new Dodge with the HO Cummins TD is not available for emmisions reasons I believe. So they may have started adding the egr to those 2 states as well.

Just a thought.

02-06-2003, 22:25
Texas Max, look on the passenger side of your engine. Next to the engine oil dipstick is a silver box with the word Bosh on it. It will say Important engine information. Isuzu..a few lines down, just below the date of manufacture, look for the words (Exhaust emission control system CAC,TC,DFI,OC,EGR). My Calif. 03 GMC has this on it and it has a cat. You can smell the exhaust..if it smells sweet it has a cat..if it smells good like a diesel should, it doesn't. If you still don't know you can always ask your dealer..or disconnect the exhaust pipe at the flange near the crossmember. Look inside the pipe twards the engine. If you see a screen that looks like it is designed to plug up your exhaust..it is a cat. There are no NOX sensors on these cats...I hope that this has been some help..Good luck I hope that you don't have one.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: 10851 ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
02-06-2003, 22:33
(off topic)

Shame on you. You should have paid through the nose for your truck like the rest of us. Shame. Shame.

Cool handle :D

TexasMax
02-07-2003, 07:53
Mine doesn't say the exact same thing as yours does, but it does say "Meets California emissions for heavy and medium duty trucks"

So I guess it's a Cat. Oh well, maybe the exhaust fairy will remove it some night while I'm asleep ;)