PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple

imported_
10-31-2002, 19:33
Iam thinking about putting this in my Duramax on the next oil change. Is this stuff any good, or are all synthetics about the same. Reason i want to use this is the place i go to will change it for $65.00 w/filter. I've looked at Mobil Delvac 1 & i cant get it for under $85.00 + shipping. Ive looked locally but cant seem to find it anywhere. All opinions are welcome.

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 19:40
Royal Purple is actually not a "true" synthetic. It's base stock is a highly refined oil. Now, that being said, the base III stocks are called synthetic by law which was established by a lawsuit over Castrol Syntec. I think if you want the best oil you can get, go with a PAO or an Ester based oil. If you plan on changing at regular intervals or at every 5k, you should be fine with it. A friend of mine tested it in his Porsche 911. He felt a little boost in power, but it faded after a week or two. He went back to Mobil 1.
I think there are a lot of good high quality oils out there. Look around, read the articles and make an informed decision. Good oil is an insurance policy for some strange failure. I had a thermostat stick closed and running synthetic saved me an engine. IMHO, retentive maintenance is what makes them last forever.

Kennedy
10-31-2002, 20:21
My biggest problem with RP is that it is TOO DARK! It looks dirty when you put it in!

Aside from that it is a matter of preference. Mine would be towards Amsoil or Mobil D1.

Alli-max
10-31-2002, 22:54
I picked up a case of it a year ago from their HQ in North Houston, and it was fine. Never got an analysis done on it, so I dont know how it was. Sure would like to see one though!! (hint hint)

D-max Man
11-01-2002, 06:26
I have personally tested Royal Purple on a friction brake machine and it will handle the same friction load as most synthetic oils, which is almost half again what a petroleum straight based oil will take.
This is only one of many tests that can be done to test oils but this test does show that Royal Purple does have better friction reducing capability than straight oils.

11-01-2002, 08:55
I have used R/P 15/40 under Long Rider label in my 6.5 and found the oil anaysis to be a wee bit better than none syn. Use Delvac 1 in my D/A though and can feel a improvment in the drivability and throttle response within 10 miles.

imported_
11-03-2002, 10:10
I was at Wally World yesterday & saw some Rotella 15-40w synthetic motor oil for $6.00/ gallon. Does anyone use this brand of synthetic.

dmaxstu
11-03-2002, 14:50
fishingn

I don't think the Rotella you mentioned at Wal Mart was synthetic, the synthetic Rotella is 5-40 and usually sels for around $19 a Gallon. I know 'cause I bought it. Stu

Charles
11-03-2002, 15:56
From what I have heard, Royal Purple is a "true" synthetic. I have been happy running it in my firebird (3.8V6) so far, but have no experience with it in a diesel. Form what I have read on several different sites, it is a good oil.

imported_
11-04-2002, 13:54
Well i went back to Walmart & looked at the Rotella Synthetic & it was a 5w-40 oil. The price was $12.83/ gallon. The dealer i used to change the oil for $24.99 is going up to $60.00 now, but there going to give me one more change at the $24.99 price. After that iam thinking about switching over to synthetic.