PDA

View Full Version : Cold SES & DTC 36

curmudge1
03-04-2005, 12:05
I posted this under the "Fuel Quality" topic, but didn't get a reply, so maybe no one saw it?

2nd winter I'm getting the SES light on, & DTC 36s. After everything warms up, these stop happening. Seems to go on longer this winter. New FSD, cooler & remote install kit from Kennedy, end of December, fixed stalling but no change in this behavior (I did not expect any). DS4 IP is over 3 years old, a good many miles but it shouldn't be failing yet. This doesn't happen at all when it's reasonably warm out (Spring through Fall).

Anyone else see these symptoms? Do I recall correctly that there's a fuel heating element as part of the fuel filter "holder" assembly? Perhaps that has failed, how could I tell? Probably have to replace the whole assembly, big $ for the part no doubt.

I've read that DTC 36 (& 35) can be caused by bad grounds. I had the grounds checked, cleaned, & one had to be fixed up LAST winter, but no change in behavior. Jim, perhaps this would be a good 6.5TD article topic, with pictures? "Clean up your electrical grounds"

Barry Nave
03-05-2005, 03:15
Did you have the 36 on the old FSD or was it just stalling? If you did'nt have the 36 with the old unit it could be the pump. Miles on pump tells more than years. My last R&R on pump was 90K ago and started getting the 35 code.
Thought pump was going bad though truck ran great. FSD seem to be working alright,ses would go out when warm but always showed itself at start. Cleared codes,cleaned grounds,and went through the whole wiring clean up. Seem to have it fixed only to have it return couple of days later. Now I know after installing a SOL-D the code 35 has never returned and also have new found power. I can't rule out the pump though you would think that the FSD should not fail in such a short time.
I did have one Failer on the SOL-D and reinstalled the old FSD. Truck started,run fine only the code 35 came back. The new SOL-D has been going great for 5K now.(I'm one of the test dummy's :D ) Time will tell with the SOL-D,to me it is a good product.
If you still have the old FSD,tighten the Trans. screws on the bottom of the FSD 1/4-1/2 turn if it will,clear codes removing power from battery's,reinstall old FSD then see if you still have the stalling issue and if code 36 comes back. This is to say that the old FSD did not give you a code 36 before.

curmudge1
03-07-2005, 08:46
I did get the DTC 36 on the old FSD, guess I wasn't clear. The new FSD fixed stalling, but not the cold engine, cold weather, SES with DTC 36 symptoms.

No other symptoms.

Re accessing the old FSD, it seems to me that I can't get to it unless I do more disassembly than I'm comfortable doing.