PDA

View Full Version : Translation request

JimErickson
11-01-2002, 11:35
I just got truck back from dealer. Its been in for 3 days with problems with Injector Rails circuits. Below is the Dealer Speak I received. Can anyone please translate into layman's terms??

51960 Intermittent open in circuit #121 Inj. Control. See clock time for diag. and repair time. Install tech 2 and check for codes, codes P0202 and P1262 set in history, no current codes. Capture info, clear codes and test drive 15 miles. No codes reset. Open harness from fuel injection control module to injector nozzle connector at valve cover. Check for high resistance and ground wires in engine harness. None found. R&R FICM and check for loose pins and backed out connections, none found. Small amount of fuel in FICM connector. Clean and reseal connector. Reassemble engine harness looms. Test drive and monitor engine. Codes P0202 & P1262 reset. Snapshot could not catch default. Install DVOM on all 8 injector nozzle connector and wiggle and tap test all circuits. Found #2 injector nozzle resistance goes open when tapping on fuel line. Remove intercooler pipes and A/C compressor to remove left side valve cover for harness inspection. Found loose injector nozzle harnedd retaining nuts on all four left bank nozzles. Remove nut, clean all posts and retorque to factory specs. Reassemble left bank and test drive. No codes reset. Replace glow plug damaged during disassembly. MIL 51943 to 51960 TAC case 5999697.

Also these are the parts that were replaced:

J5650 Injector, Fuel replace
1 97720043 Gasket;SI
1 97226202 Glow Plug
FC: 2K
Part# 97720043
Count: 2

Did they replace actual injectors ???????

They also found a coolant leak. Water pump bypass oring leaking.

Thanx
Jim

hoot
11-01-2002, 11:44
"Loose injector nozzle harness retaining nuts on all four left bank nozzles. Remove nut, clean all posts and retorque to factory specs."

Jim,

It looks to me that the above statement is the meat and potatoes of the work order. Apparently the you had bad electrical grounding due to loose wiring harness. No they did not remove the injectors.

What were your original symtoms? Just the check engine light?

What year truck and build date?

JimErickson
11-01-2002, 12:06
Symptoms were the truck went into limp mode and SES light came on. 1 st time I took it to dealer it was returned with the dreaded "Can not duplicate" response.

Truck is a 2001 3500. How do I find build date.

If all 4 bolts were loose this could be alittle scary. Is this a known flaw?

THanx
Jim

hoot
11-01-2002, 13:37
Mine does the same thing once in a while. Did it this morning. I think it's more suseptable to limp when the trans is cold.

Build date is on the driver door jam.

We really need to keep in tune with this one. If in fact your problem is gone...... I may get mine checked out. If our build dates are close, that also could be a clue. This is the first I heard of loose wiring under tha valve covers. All four indicates an assembly error to me. Doubt if it only happened to yours.

Let us know if you still have the problem and please get back with the build date. Thanks.

Mike

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

JimErickson
11-01-2002, 14:00
Ok sticker on door jamb shows:

Manufactured by Gm 05/01

Also lists model K35953

Is this the date you were looking for?

THanx

hoot
11-01-2002, 17:57
Mine was built 2/01. Not all that close.

Keep us informed.

Thanks

Colorado Kid
11-01-2002, 19:57
I'm guessing the 51960 is the Odometer reading when you reclaimed the truck.

The problem was intermittant code setting events which turined out to be an intermittant open (bad ground) in circuit #121 (which is apparently the injector control circuit) Then some mumbo jumbo about why it took him all day to find the problem.

R&R is remove and replace
FICM is Fuel Injection Control Module (usually called ECM for Engine Control Mudule around here)
He drove it some more and the same codes set, but he couldn't catch it happening with his Tech II so he really didn't learn anything except that it was still broke.

DVOM is Digital Volt/Ohm Meter

I think "harnedd" is supposed to be "harness"...a pretty minor fault, but hell to diagnose and worse to get at to fix.

No injectors were replaced, loosened or defective.

SoMnDMAX
11-02-2002, 00:12
Colorado Kid, the FICM is the Bosch injection control unit on the passenger side valve cover, not the ECM.