PDA

View Full Version : Down shifting while towing.

D-n-Tyke
11-01-2002, 12:57
Towed with my baby for the first time last weekend. Truck towed GREAT no problems. Finally heard the loud fan everyone is talking about, man that thing is loud, not unbearable but loud. So here is my question, when going up a step grade do you manually down shift the allison (drop the selecter into '3')? We go up the same grade everytime out to the desert and I think it is like a 7-8% grade. In my last truck (95 GMC Z71) I would drop it down into second and the truck would scream up the hill at about 65. This first trip with the Dmax/Alli I just left it in 'D' and I could only get it up to about 40mph (towing about 13,000# 5'er). What do you guys do when you get to a step grade? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kennedy
11-01-2002, 13:42
It's called the JUICE!

Based on your speed, you must have been in 4th. T/H will bring the downshift point in earlier. There is an OD lockout kit that enables you to drop down from OD, OR just step down far enough on the go pedal and she should downshift for you.

D-n-Tyke
11-01-2002, 14:25
Youjust want all my money don't you John? Yeah I figured I had dropped down atleast into fourth (had T/H on and pedal mashed to the floor). I want to run the truck for a while get use to it's little quirks while towing and then juice her. Just kind of concerned with longgevity (sp?) of the truck after juiced. :confused:

SoCalDMAX
11-01-2002, 15:03
I would think the engine would last longer turning lower Rs in 5th than screaming at higher Rs in 4th... as long as one wasn't abusing the pedal and doing 90mph up those grades, it should be just fine.

Of course don't take my word for it. Be careful, I might just slip one under your hood while you're not watching before Thanksgiving. ;)

Regards, Steve

IndigoDually
11-01-2002, 16:28
Steve, If you want to "slip" one in a box and ups it to me by Thanksgiving I won't be looking! :D

John

mackin
11-01-2002, 17:09
Give John the "HOT" one save time in transportation upgrades..... :D

MAC

Oongawah
11-02-2002, 02:09
D-N-T,

it sounds like you went up the same hill I did last weekend. Was it the Cajon pass going into Victorville? My family and I pulled the 5'er up that at 75 plus add whatever the 265's added, probably a realistic 78-79. I could have maxed it out at 105 but the family was with me(hehe). I'm serious though. I just added the juice last week. Put it in L2 in T/H, and the EGT's stayed good 1100-1200 up the grade about 2/3 throttle. One thing I did notice is the juice adds more fuel at certain throttle positions, and would that be a bad thing since it is oil? The four big killers to these engines are not enough lubricant(Whether in the crankcase, or in the fuel assembly), Too much heat, dirt(filtration of liquids, and air), and auto accidents. I think I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, but I did want to mention that version 4.61 seemed to really help the downshifting in T/H on the grades going downhill as well. I just thought of that during my last post that it didn't go in some insane high RPM when downshifting with the 5'er. Peace to all, Chuck.

mark45678
11-02-2002, 18:35
let me get this strait.....your 95 5.7L tbi 1/2 ton pulls this same 13.K trailer up the same hill 25 mph faster?????? I dont see How if the motor was stock!!!!! the Best CURE is to juice your truck! end of story ....you will want EGT/boost set up! keep your post turbo egt under 1050 and you will never have a problem! 1300 pre turbo.