PDA

View Full Version : sluggish 2003

Duke
11-01-2002, 17:18
I just traded in my 2002 DMAX HD Crew for a 2003 with identical options. Truck feels a fair bit more sluggish like the torque is down 50lbs or so. I have about 2000 miles on the new one so far. Accelaration from 60 to 85MPH seems noticiceably slower. Anybody have same experience or opinions of what may be causing this?

NickLeinonen
11-01-2002, 17:31
does this new 03 have an egr system :confused: :( :( :(

conradv
11-01-2002, 17:50
Is there a difference between the Canadian Duramaxes as compared with the States?

I don't have anything to compare against, as this is my first Duramax, but if mine is sluggish I would be interested in riding in a non-sluggish one! smile.gif

People are almost scared when I floor it and instinctively reach for the dash - kind of funny.

Bobcat698
11-01-2002, 18:27
I'll tell you, mine sure isn't sluggish!

IT FLYS!

mackin
11-01-2002, 18:43
Bobcat698

Yea but at LOW Altitude !!!!!!!

Super Juice it and you sore with the Concord !!!!!!

Or what I like to refer to as a Scalded Dog !!!!!
=================

NickLeinonen

Not yet in the states I believe.....

Cats although..... Coast to coast.......
=================

Duke

Perhaps it's still tight and you need to get some miles racked up......

MAC :D

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Milkman
11-01-2002, 23:34
Duke,

Try using the timer and tell me what your 0-100km/h is. I tried this the other night after I was asked about it. I ended up with 10 secs and 9 secs without any spool up or anything fancy. Just mashing the throttle.

Gives you something to compare at least! If you find it sluggish around Keptville, Northern Ontario is definately out of the question! smile.gif smile.gif

Spoolin'It
11-02-2002, 12:01
Duke,

Give it a chance to break in. My friend traded his 2002 and complained about the same thing. Now has 5000 miles and it drives the same as the old one. I think there might even be a reduced program for the first few miles to help break everything in.

fredw
11-02-2002, 15:06
i as well feel the same about my 03, i had a 01,02, and this by far is the sluggish one of the bunch, my others as well both gave me about 500 miles per tank on shortbox, this one gives me about 360 miles,it also seams that the tack is reading about 50 rpm faster at the same speed,all measured with the same gps, i now have about 4000 miles on it,and all my trucks have the bully on the second poistion, for best millage, if it does not improve soon, will take it in

sdaver
11-02-2002, 17:37
HEY SQUEEZE IN SOME JUICE AND THEN ITS SLUGGLISH ONLY TILL IT WARMS UP.........DAVE :D

Duke
11-05-2002, 16:35
Sorry for the delayed response guys. I will try the 0to 100km accelaration test to see how it compares. On the day I picked up the truck I had the dealer swap the BFG 285's on the rims from my old truck to the new one. The truck ended up with a wicked pull to the right. I hadn't actually test drove the truck so I thought I had an alignment problem. The serice tech put the truck on the alignment machine and commented that unless there is a bent component he had never seen a truck come from the factory misaligned. He told me that this kind of pull is usually always caused by the tires. He said he wanted to switch the front tires from side to side to verify. I was pretty skeptical but he switched them and we went for a ride.....pull disappeared. Anyway the point to this story is the mechanic brought up the fact that the truck seemed a bit sluggish. He suggested putting a few miles on it and then bringing it in if it still felt the same. It is weird because the truck runs great. It just doesn't pull as hard as the old one. I hope it is a issue with the fact it is still tight because I can only imagine how hard it will be to get GM to spend money fixing this kind of problem.

Biodiesel6.6
11-05-2002, 16:57
Duke
I just went to wimter blend on fuel this weekend and noticed the lack of power. Any chance it could be the fuel?

imported_
11-05-2002, 22:19
0-60 mph, 9 sec. with 2,800 miles on it. Is that about average for stock?

Duke
11-06-2002, 11:35
I will try the accelaration test tonight to 60. Roads were snow covered last night and this morning. The power is not bad at WOT but it doesn't seem to really pull until the pedal is down there. I will also try 40 to 80mph, that range seems to be noticealy slower.
Winter fuel may be a contributor. Also, I just thought of one other cause. My truck was Dealer located in North Bay and driven to Ottawa. There was 900Km when I got it. I bet the driver was some little old man that drove it at one steady highway speed for the entire breakin period. I am sure that is not help.

matt-max
11-06-2002, 12:26
i notice that my 2003 that is other wise identical to my 2001 with 55k miles is not as peppy.

i believe that this is due to the lack of perceived power when the throttle is applied intitially.

on the 2001, it was very touchy to drive, especially in the rain with the juice on. very easy to spin up and break traction.

on the 2003, the throttle is much more progressive and is not as sensitive to small inputs. this has allowed me to operate with juice on level 4 without concerns of lurching or spinning.

if i didn't know better, i would have thought that the juice box had been reprogrammed.

matt

chagburg
11-11-2002, 19:56
I have a 2002 duramax with 2700 miles on it. I thought mine had low power so I put it on a dyno.
It showed 170 hp. I will try the 0-60mph and see what I get.

Maxter
11-11-2002, 20:24
HB:

My best 0-60 was around 8.4 secs with a stock DMax except the air filter with G-Tech unit. This result was consistant and repeated several times since.

JF.