PDA

View Full Version : FRAM oil filter for the DMAX

mdrag
11-01-2002, 21:46
Silver Bullet sent me a FRAM oil filter, PH9100 for the Dmax. I cut it open and here are the pics :eek:

http://community.webshots.com/user/mmdrag

Or choose the KD exhaust/Big Wheels link in my sig.

mackin
11-01-2002, 21:55
Real informative ..thanks...I have never been a Fram user ....For those thinking about it ,I wouldn't dare.....

One thing ,the Fram starts a whole lot cleaner ...... tongue.gif

MAC :D

stutzismydog
11-01-2002, 22:12
I have allways used WIX filters and think that the WIX brand is world class. The NAPA gold filters are made by WIX. I will talk to my wix dealer and ask about Allison oil filters and if WIX makes one for this application.

SoMnDMAX
11-02-2002, 00:17
Looks like Fram (AKA Fraud) is still making the same old junk. Their stuff shouldn't even be allowed onto the market. :mad:

Mittie, what is the thickness of the end plate and the filter housing itself? The OEM Champion has a .020" thick housing, and a .100" thick end cap.

I'll be dissecting a NAPA Gold filter within the next week or so, once the LubeTech guy brings my Delvac 1. I'll post the results of what I find. I do not doubt that the Wix filter is as good or better than the OEM.

mdrag
11-02-2002, 00:53
Matt,

I have not measured the filter case thickness on any of the filters that I've examined. I can tell you that the FRAM case is noticably thinner than the AC Delco, OEM Champion, Baldwin, or Mighty filters that I've cut open. I've kept all of the cut open filters/parts in Ziplock bags - and someday...

I used an Airwolf filter cutter on the FRAM - virtually a brand new filter cutter with less than 10 uses, and designed to cut open hundreds (Airwolf claims thousands) of filters before replacing the cutting wheel:

www.airwolf.com

Cutting open the FRAM was like trying to cut open a beer can with a pipe cutter - the sides kept collapsing and the filter edge was severly scalloped. I did not point that out in my pics since the AC filter has a similar appearance - but it was cut open using an old 4" pipe cutter before I bought the Airwolf. Thicker walled filters cut open very nicely with little scalloping of the edges, but I did not have a pic to point this out.

It would be intersting to see the inside of one of the FRAM filters after 5K miles -> hot oil and the high oil pressure of the DMAX and those cardboard end caps....scary thought.

mdrag

SoMnDMAX
11-02-2002, 01:52
Mittie, if you have a chance, could you take a measurement? I'm curious... smile.gif

I wish I had the Air Wolf cutter... I use a side cutters and brute strength to open up my filters. Sometime if I'm feeling frisky, I use the band saw. Luckily, I still have all my fingers. :eek: :D

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

JEBar
11-02-2002, 07:36
stutzismydog ... WIX does have a D'max filter, they also make the CarQuest in house filters, pretty much all I have used since day one ... Jim

Burner
11-02-2002, 15:59
Look for my post about the Fram filters.

Burner ;)

Kennedy
11-02-2002, 16:20
I believe that the Dmax fuel filters are all made by the same mfr at this time. In the furture, you MAY see some tool up for it, but as goofy as it is, I doubt it...

jbplock
11-02-2002, 17:14
I sent emails to AC Delco, Baldwin, Wix and AMSOIL requesting filter % efficiency ratings in microns for their DMAX OIL filters. All responded except AMSOIL. (Did not consider FRAM)

Here are the numbers I was quoted.

AC DELCO PF2232: 25 microns nominal, 40 microns absolute (Beta numbers not stated)
WIX 57202 13 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 37 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)
Baldwin B1441: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)
AMSOIL SDF-52: No response - May be identical to B1441 since Baldwin is OEM for AMSOIL

So far the Baldwin B1441 has the best rating. A Champion (Mobil-1) filter might be better but haven’t been able to find one specified for the Duramax. I bought the B1441 at local auto parts store for $7.50. Probably could find them cheaper in quantity.

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

moisheh
11-03-2002, 11:10
Great info on oil filters. One thing to keep in mind is that some of the oil filter mfrs. do not make a complete line. So it is important to keep all these discussions only about Dmax filters. When a new engine comes to market some of the big names will purchase filters from another mfr. , like Champion, untill they tool up for their own unit.

Silver Bullet
11-04-2002, 12:43
Mdrag,
Thanks for taking the time to butcher the Fram! :D I agree with Mac...I won't be running another one on my truck!

Doubleclutch
11-10-2002, 11:53
Just for the record, FRAM has been known to be a Cummins Killer. Fillter parts end up being circulated through the oil system, plugging the oil spray nozzles on Conn. rod ends. Clean oil is the life of our engines, don't go cheap, and don't start a "send a FRAM to a Dodge" campaign smile.gif