PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filters revisited

Kennedy
11-02-2002, 08:18
I took two calls recently (Thursday night and Friday morning) looking for insight to problems they were having.

1) Was setting P0070? Whichever was the large fuel leak detected.

2) Was having trouble making power whenever the truck came down out of OD until it shifted back up and once in 5th he had to "feather" the pedal.

Both cases (names withheld) said D'OH! when I suggested fuel filter. First had 27k on filter, and second knew that he had a LOT of miles on his but either did not know exactly or wouldn't say.

Now I haven't heard back from either, but I'd be pretty certain that this was their problem. For the price of a filter, I think every other oil change is cheap insurance...

[ 11-03-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Oongawah
11-02-2002, 12:14
Yeppers,
I noticed a slight bit of top end power(sluggish at high RPM) just before replacing mine at 23K. It's right back to awesome after the new filter. Not just the dirt, but also the lack of lubrication to the combustion chamber is a danger caused by bad fuel filters. One thing that can't be overlooked, is the filter doesn't last a particular mileage. I heard of a guy locally that put a brand new filter on his truck, and pumped a bunch of junk in his tank the following week because the station he was using didn't take precautions to keep their fuel clean. I also remember about twenty years ago I was working at a market that had gas pumps, and we caught some of the employees throwing leaves, and junk down the check pipe while checking levels. Another good pointer, is if you're at the pump(especially gasser) and you see the station being re-fueled by that big tanker blocking everybody, try back another time. While that fuel is being delivered all the sediment at the bottom of the tank is being stirred up. Need I say more? You're relying on the satations filtration system at that point, and our filters are the secindary. Hope this helps, Chuck.