PDA

View Full Version : Mackin .. Help Juice acting up?

JEBar
11-02-2002, 16:45
Mack ... you'll remember how smoothly my truck ran at Corwall with the Juice 3.5 unit ... believe it or not, today, for the first time I really got on the fuel pedal and held it down for a while since installing the 4.30 unit we won in the drawing up there ... very hard shift hesitations (for lack of a better word) accompanied by a hard clunking sound ... never happened with old unit ... is this the defueling you fellows were talking about ... if so, do you know if Edge will reprogram this new unit to install an old 3.5 program? .... Jim

mackin
11-02-2002, 20:32
Jim

I take it you got rid of your 3.5......I thought you were gonna keep it that why you didn't panhandle at the Get Together.....

Defueling happens when your hard on the go as it begins to shift you will notice a sudden decrease in acceleration then a shift and right back on the power....
Just like a standard shift .....Your hard on the peddle let up depress clutch dump it stomp on the go !!!!! :D

When I'm tromping around in 125 HP mode, some passengers, as there head rocks back and forth, ask me are you doing that???? I just laugh.....To hard to explain or the don't get it.....I have gotten good enough on occasion I can let up before the shift and beat it to the punch.....

The clunk in drivetrain could be numerous to diagnose from here....From u-joints to, yoke spline, to your two piece driveshaft,or the locker perhaps disengaging at 20 mph, to nothing something is perhaps dry....I think if the clunking continues have it checked out there could be play some where in the drive train....It would have happened Juiced or not I would believe.....I myself have not heard any clunking between detuned shifts.....

Quirky things once in a while may happen to these rigs on occasion and never repeat.....

To get your box downgraded to a 3.5 isn't impossible but would have to be done by Edge or someone with upgradable cable AKA a dealer....

I wouldn't jump ship just yet .... I would upgrade to the newest first and try it.....

I myself had an incident the other day cruising 30-35 mph, ghost peddle, one rev like a confirmation level, I stepped on it, back to normal...I can't remember if I was in level 4 or 3 Super Juice.....So quirky things will happen with electronics and mechanical.....Let me know what happens.....You got my number from Terry .....Best of luck my friend.....You'll get it straightened out......

MAC
smile.gif

GMC-2002-Dmax
11-02-2002, 21:17
Mac, JeBAR

I emailed Aaron about my 4,30 Super Juice. I am going to send mine back for the latest update. I have had a few minor quirks with this version.

NO BIG DEAL really, Aaron and EDGE are great and he said he had an update that would be better for my current situation.

It will be going back on Monday. I hope to have it by the end of the week.

I will update you guys when I get it back.

GMC

Oongawah
11-03-2002, 00:07
Mac,

Are you using the stock torque converter? Bryce at Edge told me using a performance TC would give you best performance with the HOT JUICE. If you're using the stock converter, do you have to feather the shift point? I guess what I'm asking is what do you have to do different from the old juice? Also, I haven't tried the Waste Gate trick yet, but my EGT's get too high when going up hill with L4 and regular juice. What's your EGT's like with the HOT JUICE? I know you have the Banks, I'm working on it. Peace, Chuck.

JEBar
11-03-2002, 08:26
Mack ... thanks for the feed-back ... don't know if I did a good job relaying what the truck is doing, just to make sure, let me try again ... foot on floor at about 30mph, turbo spools up, cloud of smoke and Hi Oh Silver!!! ... not really a hesitation but when she changes gears instead of a smooth change, it has a hard change (feels similiar to my '99 Z71 changing gears in tow-haul under a very heavy load).... hesitation is only for an instant (literally) when the gear is changing ..... by the way, from a standing start, stagged her as per your expert instructions, was still spinning when she hit 3rd ... can't afford to do that often .... Jim :eek:

Kennedy
11-03-2002, 09:01
Jim,

What you describe sounds typical. A firm shift helps transmission life, and the defueling at the shift allows the clutches to apply rather than slip as they engage. If anything, I'd go to V 4.61.

JEBar
11-03-2002, 15:51
Thanks John ..... much relieved .... start to get excited when truck does somenthing so different :cool: Jim

mackin
11-03-2002, 19:09
Jim

Ain't it somethin' the way these big trucks will turn them hides???
Super Juice and it will be spinning thru 3rd gear !!!!!!! :eek:

Your explanation makes more sense as I thought you were getting a big delay then a bang into gear.....Well ,quick firm shifts are best.....Good luck ... Your just lucky you have a get out of Jam thingamabob..... ;)

MAC
:D

mackin
11-03-2002, 19:20
Chuck

Yes, I am all stock for now.....I won't do anything till I'm past 36,000 miles,to the Allison,and I'm getting closer.....As simple things may go wrong and why should I pay.....It's fine for now as more alternatives may come to light in a few months anyway.....

Do I feather my shifts???? Not really, but have learned a few roll on tricks .....One thing is I don't do a lot of standing on the go peddle in OD since my rash of tickets I've incurred.....I have brought it to the limiter a quite few times extremely quickly without incident......I can leave VERY hard of the line in addition..... I have never limped my truck, again I relate this to the constant barrage of JUICE I have put it to and it comes as no shock to the system.....

My EGT'S have stayed in check.....Plenty of cool air in and HOT exhaust out with the BANKS.....I've seen 1300 +/- at will....I have held 1300 for a descent period of time......Someone has to do it......I'm pre turbo and wastegate deprived.....I have no base numbers to go on .....It is what it is,really.....I wouldn't go back.....Have a blast, I am that's what it's all about....

MAC :D

JEBar
11-03-2002, 19:28
Mack ... "Your just lucky you have a get out of Jam thingamabob" :eek: when I retire in August I have every intention of keeping it, haven't had to use it in many moons but you never can tell :cool: thanks for the follow-up... Jim

Oongawah
11-04-2002, 10:37
Thanks Mackin,
I don't want to change the converter right now either. I think I will try the Hot stuff right after I do the exhaust. Man, what one could do with the D/A in a project car(yes, car-hehe). I sure get some cockeyed looks when I tell people I'm waiting for them to put one of these in a Camaro.