PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cap Suction

Gbenzx01
11-03-2002, 20:19
Reading Mdrag abt coolant hose colapse & thought I would add this one;
About a week after we got the 02 D/A I noticed one day after a lengthy drive that the fuel cap didn't want to come off until I actually pulled the thing deliberatly. When it turned loose it let off a distinct suction sound which was certainly not very good music to hear considering the suction fuel lift pump that is attached to the other end of the thing!
I have always made a habit of tightening fuel caps to the ratchet feel/sound with never a problem that I knew of.
Sooo, when I put the cap back on after abusing it for a round or two I tightened just to the point of resistance & stopped & have been doing this every time I fuel w/o any more suction issue.
Anyone else had this? You twist the cap to the ratchet or what? Lets say this suction business continued, What then?
Thnx, Gben.

Idle_Chatter
11-03-2002, 23:10
Gbenzx01, vacuum in the tank is not a good thing. The fuel cap is designed to "vent in" and prevent that exact thing. I use the ratchet on both my caps (main and aux) and it shouldn't affect the cap's internal valve. You have a bad cap. I'd replace it as soon as you can. They run between $6-8 and most dealers have them in stock.