PDA

View Full Version : *&#% fuel filter wire connector seal

slapshot44
07-24-2002, 11:29
I changed my fuel filter last weekend. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the orange rubber donut seal back into the wire connector. It popped off when I first unplugged the connector. After about 10 tries with the seal falling out while trying to get the connector together, it finally fell off and hid where I couldn't find it again. I figured I would think about getting another one (if possible) next time I was at the dealer...

Sure enough, I found the little bugger yesterday laying in the driveway. I swear I heard it laughing. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep it in place while getting the connector together?

csimo
07-24-2002, 14:11
Did you actually take the wires out of the bottom of the fuel filter? Hope not!

I disconnect the connector about 6 - 8 inches from the filter, you will find an easy to use connector there.

There are two ways to get at the fuel filter. Remove the battery or remove the fender liner. I've found that removing the fender liner is much easier and gives an unobstructed work area around the filter.

Good luck!

DmaxMaverick
07-24-2002, 15:09
slapshot44

Put a little dielectric grease on it. It should hold it in place, as well as protect the connector from the elements.

slapshot44
07-24-2002, 15:15
:confused:

I found the fuel filter was fairly easy to change without removing the battery or fender liner. I just disconnected and pulled back the intercooler hose to get access to the wire connector.

The "easy to use connector" is the one I'm talking about. It has an internal orange rubber seal that waterproofs the connection. If you don't pay attention when you unplug the connection for the first time, you probably won't see it go falling into the bottom of the engine compartment (at least that's what mine did).

maverick: Thanks, I tried the grease trick. The ears on the seal seem to be too wide to go back into the slots on the female connector. It gets twisted around or bound up, and when unplugging it to try again, it comes off and since it is now slippery from the grease, it goes running way. :mad: I'm assuming the ears on the seal are supposed to go into the slots?

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: slapshot44 ]</p>