PDA

View Full Version : Dip Stick

ChopperBill
11-04-2002, 08:36
How can you possably check the oil on the D-Max with that stupid dip stick. If I leave it over night and check it the oil is collected on the "guide ball" and makes accurate checking impossable. If I wipe it off and check again it still collects on the guide ball. Are you suppose to check it hot? I never had much luck that way on other engines because the oil collects in the tube.

dieselburb
11-04-2002, 10:08
If it's on the guide ball, you've got problems: too much oil. When you check it cold, the level should be a bar or two below full. That way, when the oil is hot, it's expansion will not overfill the crankcase. 10quarts including filter, any more and your PCV will let you know shes got too much.

56Nomad
11-05-2002, 17:24
Many of us have drilled small holes between the bars
on the dipstick to collect oil which shows the
exact oil level...... hot or cold.

It really is easy to do and will definately
make reading the oil level very accurate.

Do a search within the DP and you'll find pictures
if I recall.

letsgo
11-05-2002, 19:10
Like I said before, I just put the dip stick in to the first O ring and the oil sits in the bottom 2 slots hot or cold, if I push it in all the way its impossible to read.

good luck

ChopperBill
11-09-2002, 10:10
Went to the dealer to have them check my oil. smile.gif I'll be darned if it didnt check right. I have been checking it on the driveway which is slightly incline. Guess that messed with my reading. Anyway the tech said that GM sent a letter telling them to put in 10 qt. no more no less and see what it was on the stick. Guess you gauge your oil from where is then. Seemed a little strange that they say the dip stick isnt any more accurate then that. Guess I will just go to the dealer and have them check my oil from now on (they are across the highway from where I work) because they seemed happy to do it. smile.gif

odoh
11-10-2002, 00:34
C'Bill, do you scoot around the Sacramento Valley?

Idle_Chatter
11-10-2002, 07:55
ChopperBill, there are photos in my link below on my 10-minute modification to my dipstick with a 1/8" drill bit. I "firmly" locked the ball in a large visegrip and drilled between the bars with a 1/8" bit in a cordless drill (running s-l-o-w). Makes a big difference in readability.

ChopperBill
11-10-2002, 10:03
Odoh: Do my scoot'n in the Colo. Rocky Mountains.

Idle_chatter: Will check your mod out. Didnt think checking the oil would be this frustrating. smile.gif

ChopperBill
11-11-2002, 16:44
Drilled the stick. Helped a lot. Thanks.