PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Preporator

conway
08-15-2004, 01:13
Saw Two Guys Garage. They had an fuel filter/air separator system that they intalled on a Ford diesel. Anyone have any experience/comments on this product?

rsgs
08-15-2004, 08:23
Try this site:

http://www.dieselpp.com

A lot of guys must have seen the same show (I did). The sight is getting hammered right now.

Kennedy
08-15-2004, 10:31
IMHO, it is a glorified lift pump/filter setup.

They did do a good job of illustrating what happens in the Dmax system on every truck out there. Kinking the hose increased the pressure drop and caused the fuel to cavitate/aerate/vaporize or whatever the politically correct term is. Simply keeping the fuel under pressure will alleviate this in my experience. It is further obvious that the Dmax injection pump doesn't suffer from any major problems due to processing of this air.

My case in point: The Mega filter and it's air trapping capability. Add a lift pump, and no more air.

The future will likely hold a filter/pump combo from KD, and if someone feels the need, the dirty side bleeder can just be plumbed back to tank and oraficed to get the same results.

Additionally, it will NOT sound like a can opener... :rolleyes:

tpitt
08-18-2004, 13:21
I plan on trying one as soon as I have a chance. I've been following them for some time now and have actually set my self up as a dealer for both the FASS and the Fuel Preporater. One of my customers has a fleet of class 8 trucks, with which they keep very good fuel records. I'm planning on installing one on one of ther trucks also just to see what differences they make in the big rigs. IMHO the difference between these and a regular lift pump is the the Preporater removes the air, where the lift pump just compresses the air and it will release when the injector pops off. tpitt

Kennedy
08-19-2004, 06:37
Without dissecting one of these units, I cannot speak for certain, but my understanding is it operates no differently than a lift pump with a bypass regulator. In other words, if one were to take the bleeder on my Mega filter and plumb as a relief valve, it would operate the same.

Now the thing is, the Mega doesn't trap any air once a lift pump is added...

Additionally, I've never seen a Duramax with power curves like their dyno chart shows on the FASS site. The Dmax is the LEAST likely to gain with this as it does not rely on housing psi, or pressure waves to fire injectors at the correct time. If there is a HP gain on the Dmax, it will be from correcting a restriction, and not removing air IMHO.

tpitt
08-19-2004, 14:10
John,
I knew you couldn't pass up a chance to counter me. :D :D I agree the Duramax is probably one of the least likely to get gains from the fuel preperator. The reason I want to try one is that I like to test all of the products I sell, when possible. I may put one on my sons 2002 Dodge first. I believe they probably have the most to gain. Also they are famous for lift pump failures. But IMHO I wouldn't take a Mega filter over a Cat filter any day of the week even if they were given to me. ;) ;) tpitt

Kennedy
08-20-2004, 05:36
Run what you want. Just a couple of things worth noting:

1) A gear or sliding vane pump can and will generate wear particles.

2) A gear or sliding vane pump will impede flow if inoperative.

3) Most any filter/pump setup can remove air by simply having the relief valve at a point significantly higher than the pickup.

4) The REAL Cat element will screw right onto my mount, but has not shown to be any better, in fact slightly lesser in filtration ability.

tpitt
08-21-2004, 09:55
John,
Just pulling your chain a little. :D :D My deal with the fuel preporater is more for class 8 trucks. Theres a guy here locally that was going to sell them at one time. He's since retired and hadn't really got any real data from the couple he installed. I did look at a unit he had for class 8 trucks, and they had some pretty good ideas. The older Cummins had some problems, with air. This guy is an excellant mechanic, and has had trucks of his own. He stated that there are some guys that swear they make the trucks run better and get better fuel economy. I'm always looking for differant things to try. This is why I want to install one on a big rig, and see the results. At least then we will know. tpitt