PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head

Burner
07-24-2002, 15:55
A buddy of mine, Mitch, has a 2001 dullie. He uses the truck to pull a 40ft flatbed gooseneck. He is a chevy man to the bone. He loved the truck when he got it and raved about how well it pulled. However, he has replaced "4" injectors on his way to 80k and was not happy about it. Well, he reached 80k and the right head blew
:eek: . He makes a living with this truck and it has cost him 6 weeks of hauling time. I never thought I would hear him say or even speak about getting anything other than GM. Well, today he did. What do you say to someone that has been dyed-in-the-wool GM and is wanting to jump ship? Did he get a bad truck? It was covered under warranty but what do you do about the "hauling time" he lost? --- I'm at a loss here :( :confused:

Burner

madmax7
07-24-2002, 16:09
I don't know if he gopt a bad truck, but from what I understand (I had a head problme early on, turned out be a bad casting) there has been no head problems(premature failure) to date. Isuzu gets ALL the heads back that are in question. I think that waht they have been seeing is primarily bad dealer diagnosis.

stretch
07-25-2002, 04:09
Just wondering, but what "blew" on the head, the head itself or a head gasket ? Was it damaged during the 4 injector replacements ? Lastly, why did it take 6 weeks. I would be flippin out too !!! Perhaps Mitch needs to find a better service dept. to take care of his repairs. I'm starting to think that a lot of GM service depts. are having trouble meeting the needs of commercial users, since they are probably not used to seeing it. They finally have a commercial grade truck but the service depts. have yet to catch up. Hopefully they will.

Black Dog
07-25-2002, 05:28
Yeah, what do you mean by "the head blew"?

Kennedy
07-25-2002, 07:37
I would be more inclined to think it was injector sleeve related.

Yes, the down time sucks, but at least it was warranty work...

Burner
07-25-2002, 10:38
I'll get the skinny on his truck. ;) I will find out which injectors went out and when. That should tell us something about the head or the work that was done. Sometimes you get a wrench turner, not a mechanic. I was wondering why GM "redesigned" the heads for 2004. Do you think that this could be a reoccuring problem?

I still don't know what to tell Mitch. If I had reoccuring "maunfacture failure repair" :eek: :mad: on anything, I would probably not be inclined to purchase that product again. I think that GM should give him money or a "factory deal" on a new truck. The real cost is only 30k +/- 1k for GM. I had a buddy of mine get a "loaded" 02' Denalie for 32,000. He got a factory deal from someone up the chain at GM. Thinking about it, GM should just trade him a new truck for what he has. :D :D

Burner

odoh
07-25-2002, 13:08
Wasn't 2004 the yr the engine is to meet the new emission requirement requiring the CA/EGR type head? ~ odoh

DURA-MAX3
07-25-2002, 13:29
Was the engine stock or did it have the juice or propane kit installed. Not trying to make any body mad but everone i talked to about these after market hop ups said they would not be good on the engine. Don't know if this is true or not.I personally have plenty of power for day to day driving and towing, but it is interesting to read about the things people have doon for more power...Hope the gu has better luck with a good service dept.

gdblake
07-26-2002, 09:14
Hey Dura-Max3 Who are you and were do you live? Can't believe someone else is on here from Runaway Bay. George Blake

P.S.--I've also wondered about mods. I asked the Service manager at Jerry's Chevrolet in Weatherford about probs with the engine, and he said that the only problems were on those that were chipped or otherwise goosed with other modifications. "Leave the truck std. and you won't have any problems".

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: gdblake ]</p>

DURA-MAX3
07-26-2002, 09:54
Never thought someone else would be on here from Runaway Bay. I live off of exit 9 behind the storage rentals. 1207 elm ct. We can meet up after i get off work this evening if ya want. I just moved here in november and don't know that many poeple. What time do you usually get home and where do you live. Talk more in a bit, gotta get back to work...

Burner
07-26-2002, 12:54
Mitch's truck is bone stock. The truck has had good maintenance, he bought it new. Nothing but AC Delco parts. He did show me a stock air filter that had colapsed. He was not happy about that. :rolleyes:

Burner

DURA-MAX3
07-26-2002, 14:52
Hey gdblake, where did you go. I am about to leave work and head home. Call me at 405-202-1537. It is about 4:00 pm 7-26-02... I have a decal you may be interested in. You can see it on my truck to see if you like it.

gdblake
07-26-2002, 15:58
Hi Dura-Max 3, I found your house about 4:30, today. Truck was in the drive but no answer with door bell. Left my name and phone under your front door mat. Please call when you can. George

Burner
07-30-2002, 14:10
Ok, I just caught up with Mitch. Here is the report.

Injectors #1 & #2 replaced @ 60k

Injectors #6 & #7 replaced @ 75k

Injector #8 Replaced @ 91k---Water leak found

Drivers side Head replaced @ 93k.

--- He pulls a 40ft Gooseneck, empty 9,000( I think). He uses only Rotella oil on 5k drains. He had the "02 fix" on the air box @ 12k, right after the air filter collasped from water dammage.

Burner

-----
Note... He is selling the oridginal Dexter axels to the trailer, they are new with only 5k on them. He is selling them because he switched from drum to disk. He is selling the two axels for 900.00. I think that he could deliver them on one of his routes?

hoot
07-30-2002, 14:46
He must have had a bad run on injectors when he got his truck. Notice he didn't have just one go. It's possible there was a problem during the injector production that wasn't caught or a problem in assembly at Dmax that wasn't caught. I wouldn't hold that one engine against the majority unless you here about this stuff a lot. I'm also guessing the replaced head was related to the injector problems.

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>