PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Engine Shutdown

trailhorserider
11-04-2002, 11:14
After 26,000 miles of flawless running I experienced a mystery engine shutdown (which, just as mysteriously, fixed itself). I parked my truck overnight on a slight uphill. Overnight temperature reached perhaps 40 degF. The following morning the truck started instantly, then just as quick shut down and would not restart. The truck was towed to a dealer, but he could not duplicate the problem; no codes, no problem starting. I drove the truck back from the dealer and 140 miles further towing a small horse trailer: several stops and restarts with absolutely no problem. The fuel filter was changed about 10,000 miles ago. Dealer suggested maybe a fuel additive. This can't hurt, but I'd like to hear from anyone who a) has experienced a similar problem or b) has some thoughts on what might have caused this one-time glitch.

I can't afford to have this happen when I'm towing a large, loaded horse trailer so would like to get to the bottom of the cause.

DmaxMaverick
11-04-2002, 12:46
trailhorserider

Sounds like you are getting air into the fuel system. Try parking overnight with the truck facing uphill at a slight incline. If it starts, then dies, pump the primer about 10 times, or enough to feel firm resistance (don't open the bleed) then restart. It should start and run like normal. I have found this issue to happen more often with lower fuel tank levels and colder weather. I've also experienced this at one time or another with every Diesel pick up I've had over more than 20 years, all brands included. No more than I've had to deal with it over the years, I've just lived with it and take precautions to avoid it. It has never happened when parked pointed downhill in any of them.

Good luck.

trailhorserider
11-04-2002, 15:04
DmaxMaverick,
Thanks for the input. Your suggestion had occurred to me also, but not until the tow truck was long gone. It's hard to image how such a slight incline would cause a problem (the tank was full), but I definitely will prime the system if this occurs again. BTW, I have seen no evidence of a fuel leak.

Rick T

RVGuy
11-04-2002, 15:40
Several here on the board have commented about priming the fuel system by a "bulb".

Could someone advise me where this "bulb" is located. If its in the owner's manual, its hiding real well.

Thanks,

IndigoDually
11-04-2002, 16:21
I believe that the "bulb" that you are looking for is really the primer plunger that is located on top of the fuel filter.

John

Buck
11-05-2002, 13:14
I had a mystery shut down Friday. I pulled into my buddy's parking lot put truck in park and it shut down. Key was on, Fuel was 3/8 of a tank, no ses, nothing. I went in talked to him came back out a started it and went home, just like nothing happened! How can you explain this? Sunday while out looking for deer, I shifted into reverse and CLUNK!! Very harsh. Don't know what's going on but it can't be good.

BTW, The 3 dealers around here won't touch :mad: my truck with a 10' pole (wrong tires/wheels other mods) :rolleyes:

Maybe JK can help?

madmax7
11-05-2002, 14:04
About a month or so ago, I started my truck, drove down the orad about a half mile and the engine shut down. The tank showed a little over a quarter full. When I would try to start it, the engine would turn over very fast, as if there was no back pressure. I opened the bleed valve and primed the engine, and it started fine. I don't know if it was the priming that did the trick, or perhaps it was just a coincidence.
If it was the prime, why would the engine have lost prime while running? The other day, it stalled when I was accelerating, but before it could shut down, it started back up, and ran fine.
It appears that it can lose prime some how. Any ideas?

Kennedy
11-05-2002, 14:15
From what I've seen though, air in the system generally makes for a goofy lope in the idle for a little while as when changing the filter...