PDA

View Full Version : New Truck

Tsckey
07-24-2002, 19:51
Well, Boys and Girls, after waiting since February my wife and I flew up to Idaho and thundered home in our new, shiny red Sierra D/A. My initial impressions are somewhat understated. Sort of along the lines of HOLY SH--! and YAHOO!! That sort of thing. For a number of reasons, mine doesn't have the steering wheel buttons, but it does have one version of the upgraded Bose sound system, which is very nice. The interior looks great and is comfortable for long hours in the saddle. The AC is surprisingly weak. Hard to figure, that is usually something the General usually does pretty well. The engine ran smoothly and evenly. No ticks, no lope. The transmission shifted smoothly and was always in the right gear. I will have to wait to put a real load on it to determine whether it will stay in 5th uphills on cruise. But it never downshifted for anything but slowing to a stop. Passing, climbing hills, no matter whether in cruise or not, once it was in 5th it stayed there. I'm amazed at how rapidly and calmly this thing gains speed. My wife passed a semi, and when I casually looked over to see how fast we were going, the speedo was still above 90 and slowing. We didn't hit the speed limiter so I figure she never got above 95. For all the noise the truck was making we could have been going 35. I really like the look of the new Sierra's. Mine has the chrome front with fog lights and it is very attractive. The only complaint I have is with the crappy shocks. I will be watching for reports from those who've put on Bilsteins. All in all, great truck. If it weren't for this site I never would have considered a GM diesel. I've been saved.

TC

NutNbutGMC
07-24-2002, 20:11
^...COngrats on the new machine. Break it in right... Drive it like you stole it....

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-24-2002, 20:14
Tsckey,

gotta compliment you on your choice, A GMC SLE and RED. A man who has great taste.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!!!

GMC :D :D :D

SoCalDMAX
07-24-2002, 21:09
Congrats on the new truck!!

I'm surprised your wife didn't look over at you and say, "Honey, this new truck must be broke, I can't get it over 97mph and some soccer Mom's blowing by us in a minivan at 105!"

J/K! Gotta keep NutNbutGMC wound up a little.. ;)

Now you see why the Valentine 1 is such a popular addition!

Regards, Steve :D

NutNbutGMC
07-24-2002, 23:46
^... I have learned to deal with the soccer Moms... I block them in a lane and refuse to allow a pass. This 97 MPH thing is a conspiracy, I'm thinking.... DAMMIT!!!

Telling no lie, I was cruising home last weekend through Nashville and people were passsing me like I was sitting still, and I was running 93 MPH. A cop even passed me with a 4-cylinder Jeep Cherokee.....If I would have been going to a fire, I'd have missed it by getting there too late.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Colorado Kid
07-25-2002, 10:50
"A GMC SLE and RED. A man who has great taste."

I'll second that! :cool:

"...I was running 93 MPH. A cop even passed me with a 4-cylinder Jeep Cherokee....."

Are you sure that wasn't a 4-Liter Cherokee? The Colorado State Patrol has some of those, but I've driven a 4 cylinder Cherokee and even though is was red it wasn't going to go more than 93 MPH down a ski jump! 84 MPH about summed it up for that one. (OK I'll admit it was one of the early Carburated 4 bangers with a 4 speed manual, but I don't think the fuel injection and a 5 speed help them THAT much).

Don't tell my wife, but her '99 Honda Odyssey will go 28 MPH faster than my '02 Sierra, even though the Honda is Blue!

Tsckey
07-25-2002, 12:27
Thanks, Everybody. I'm a little sensitive about the minivan syndrome, too. My wife's car is a 240hp, '02 Honda Odyssey. The thing flies. BUT, when the time comes to hook up the big weight, guess which horse will get the nod?

I'm making a list of the indespensible add-ons. It's already pretty long. I've been reading and learning from the Diesel Page long before becoming a member. I'm going to have to pace myself.

TC