PDA

View Full Version : Can we buy cleaner diesel?

Stage 1
11-04-2002, 17:31
After reading " fuel filter test results" should we try to buy cleaner diesel fuel as part of the solution? Is it possible to determine if certain brand(s)/local source can make a difference? Does it make sence to take test samples from different source to compare results for making an informed decision on where to buy fuel? How much will particle contamination very from one source throughtout the year? This is my first diesel and new to this fuel.

- One of the first rules seems to be, buy fuel from a source that sells a lot.

thanks for your help,
:rolleyes:

Kennedy
11-04-2002, 17:43
I buy from a SMALL but reputable vendor. He also supplies the Loyal ambulance. From what we saw with my analysis, the fuel is relatively clean and VERY low water, but still too much dirt post filter for comfort. George could comment more on the details.

For those keeping score at home: Water from the pump was 31.1ppm and water post filter was 30.7ppm. This is normal, as emulsified water will pass through filters, AND will show up on analysis.

george morrison
11-04-2002, 22:19
It is an excellent idea to purchase as clean a fuel as possible. There can be major differences
in contaminant levels, depending on diesel throughput volume, station procedures (regular bottom water draw, regular filter changes, etc.), and of course refinery quality to begin with. Several of the major truck stops such as Flying J have shown good results with respect to ISO cleanliness, water content and Cetane Index. Another way is as John suggests, knowing your fuel supplier.
Another is to get the fuel analyzed, then you will 'know' what you are getting in terms of quality. Some folks go together in groups to share the cost of analysis..
Even with our current 60% efficient fuel filter, if we minimize dirt/contaminants from the pump, we reduce pump and injector wear rates..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Stage 1
11-05-2002, 17:22
John and George,
Thanks for the reply, I will check with a major truck fuel supplier in this area for commercial trucks, to see if they do fuel quality analysis on a regular basis.
Also George, I would like to do the supply sample analysis, did you discuss this in an earlier thread concerning: price, where to purchase kit/how to do it, etc?
thanks for the information,

george morrison
11-05-2002, 18:31
The fuel analysis kits are available from http://www.avlube.com/ and run about $52.20 each. The results indicate cetane index, cleanliness (in ISO cleanliness with particles actually counted for each size spectrum) and water expressed in PPM (again, very exacting). This way you will *know* exactly what you are putting in your Duramax; if the fuel is bad, you will then having something in black and white from an ISO 9002 laboratory to share with the seller...

Stage 1
11-07-2002, 21:58
George, others,
I just received the following reply to the diesel fuel supplier I am planning to use. Any thought on the standards they are using.
thanks,

"
..... answer this inquiry by saying that ALL ON HIGHWAY DIESEL FUEL SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES, MUST MEET THE ASTM D 975 REQUIREMENT. Secondly, your fuel is pulled from the Colonial Pipe Line, and must meet their even stricter requirement, and finally, all of Quarles Diesel Fuel is treated with Diesel Kleen to provide additional stabilizer, detergents for cleaner burning fuels, lubricity additives for pump and injector protection. In cold weather, a diesel fuel anti-gel is added to the Diesel Kleen for winter protection. ALL OF QUARLES' ON ROAD DIESEL FUEL MEETS OR EXCEEDS THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WEIGHTS AND MEASURES (NCWM) STANDARDS FOR PREMIUM DIESEL FUEL.

This winter, Quarles will be introducing ARCTIC URBAN EMISSIONS PLUS CETANE BOOST at the card loc locations. This product will add 250% additional detergents plus 2 to 3 points cetane boost.

The only other thing I can think of is that under the D 975 standard, there is a test called the RAMSBOTTOM CARBON RESIDUE test that requires a max of .35% on 10% carbon residue.

You might also suggest that ALL QUARLES' fuel meets the CRC rating of 10 or less on the Cummins L-10 detergency test......

george morrison
11-08-2002, 07:26
The current diesel fuel specifications are a major problem in that they were written many years ago for Cummins Big Cam III engines with 3,000 psi fuel injectors! One can have as much as .5% water, dirt, whatever in diesel fuel and yet meet current #2 diesel fuel regulated guidlines!!! With essentially no regulation establishing a fuel cleanliness level needed for our current 20,000 to 30,000 psi injection systems, it leaves the onus on us to try and find a good fuel supplier and protect our engines with the best fuel filtration possible..