PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problem on Duramax!

hdmax(mike)
11-04-2002, 18:20
This is not my problem. A fellow D-max owner Let me know about his problem.

Here it is.

It started last week when I went to go start the truck on a cold start in the morning and it just dies. Then it refuses to restart. I take it in for warranty and they have it 3 days and check everything out and it seems to be fine. Till this morning, the damn thing won't even start again, it acts like it wants to start real bad, but it just won't. The dealer says they have checked the whole fuel system, including lines, glowplugs and fuel filter and it all checked out good. They are pretty stumped on where to go now. You heard of anything like this before? I have about 11000 miles on it and this is the first set of problems that I have had. Other than this instance I absolutely love this truck.

I told him I thought it sounded like fuel filter. I know he said they checked it, But most of them don`t even know where the engine compartment is. That is why I wanted to post it here where the experts hang out.

Spoolin'It
11-04-2002, 18:35
I had a similiar problem last winter. Lost power and stalled when idling out of my friends driveway. Turns out the filter drain assembly had loosened up and was sucking air. Found it when I pushed the primer after closing the air bleed and fuel poured out of the bottom of the filter. It also cranked forever while trying to re-prime the system since I think the system had drawn alot of air post filter. Didn't crank nearly as long when I did the last filter change.
I hope this helps.

FirstDiesel
11-04-2002, 19:06
I like the answer about the filter. They checked it!! HOW??? The first thing I'd be doing is changing that filter before I bothered with anything else. Always eliminate the simple things.

SoCalDMAX
11-05-2002, 09:42
I like that question.

"They checked it!! HOW??? "

Why, they looked in the glovebox, of course! How else? ;)

Regards, Steve

hickcox
11-05-2002, 11:15
Did they check the fuel cap,...Mine was replaced three times until they got to fix my problem.

They also replaced some sort of check valve after the second fuel cap, but I have no idea where that's located. The stealer told me there are two of them, but I'm unable to locate any fuel line check valve in my shop manual.
Also my service worksheet didn't mention any part replacement other then the fuel cap.

Kennedy
11-05-2002, 11:28
The simple check for the filter is to attach a vacuum gauge to the large shrader type port near the belt tensioner. Of course this works best with a running engine...

FirstDiesel
11-05-2002, 19:00
JK

Come on you think the dealer really did that??? Why not just change the filter and know that you've eliminated a potential problem?

Wesley Briggman
11-09-2002, 22:38
Mike,

When my truck had just a few thousand miles on it, it would intermittently be hard to start.

Based on the recommendation from their Tech-support, the dealer replaced the