PDA

View Full Version : DMAX 1, Bambi 0

Searay90
11-04-2002, 18:32
Bambie's cousin jumped out in front of my truck last night. I managed to manuver enough to only hit it's hind quarters, but preliminary estimates are already over $1500 damage.

It bent the front bumper in, broke the headlight assemblys, trashed the bumper cover, bent the fender, pushed the core support backwards, and then hit the side of the truck in two places and damaged the paint.

I had my three kids buckled in the back, and all of us are fine. Thank god I got rid of that firebird and bought a real vehicle. I would hate to think of what that deer would have done if I hit it with that low slung sports car. Deer thru the windshield comes to mind.!!

I've got an appoitment with the insurance adjuster for Wednesday, but with a $500 deductable, I'm not looking forward to paying for this. :(

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Searay90 ]</p>

Paintdude
11-04-2002, 18:58
Glad you and the kids are ok..I have seen what a deer does to a sports car, it aint perty..

talk to the body shop guy after the insurance figures the estimate and ask him what can be reused to help offset your deductable...

I am suprised you have a 500 deductable with a comp claim...

double check with your insurance guy, this should be a comp claim not collision...

A deer hit is an act of god, it is covered just like a broken windshield..

and if you do have a large deductable on comp get it changed, it doesn`t cost much to go with 100 or 50 dollar deductable on comprehensive coverage....

good Luck...

01F350SRW
11-04-2002, 19:22
Try to think about your family and not the truck.. thats the important thing. Damage could have been a lot worse, for instance when I hit a buck in my 99 F250 psd The entire front end had to be replaced, including the hood, intercooler, radiator, and airconditioning unit. You can bet my fix was a whole lot more than 1500 bucks.... :(

johnpugh
11-04-2002, 20:00
Ouch!!

That hurts....

If you really want to see something ugly, how about a TransAm and a cow! That's right, a cow! About 20 years ago I was on my way back to college in my T/A and as soon a I crested a hill there was a whole herd of cattle all over the road. Managed to miss all but one. It was getting dark too, but the car was still drivable and I drove it back home. Of course about half way there, the headlight breaker circuit kicked in and I was flashing everyone.

Car was repaired, then I finally got with it and pulled that 301 (sorry excuse for an engine) and put in a hot Poncho 400. Ahhh that was fun!!!!

Mark Heiken
11-04-2002, 20:18
Must be a lot of deer being atracted to trucks lately. I got one Friday. About the same damage but on mine the only damage to painted metal is the front lip of the hood. Oh well it's only parts and they can be replaced.

Paintdude
11-04-2002, 20:58
If anyone needs a 99-03 GMC hood I have a spare one that is perfect..sorry I won`t ship it..FOB? no thanks...but if your in Illinois or close let me know..

Searay90
11-04-2002, 22:39
Texas has the honor of having the highest insurance rates in the country. And they also abide by the 3 claims (of any type) in a three year period and your dropped. That's why I have the high deductible. Cracked windshield = 1 claim, hail damage = claim, theft damage = claim. I lived that 10 years ago and my insurance went from 800 a year to 2400 a year. Thank you very much Allstate. I've been with State Farm since and will never make a claim unless it's a big ticket item like this is going to be.

Yes I'm going to shop it around as a non insurance item with a couple of body shops and see if they will work with me.

I don't think my kids (6,8,16) will be asking why they have to wear seatbelts any more :eek:

txguppy
11-05-2002, 00:13
Hey Searay, I see you're from TX, too. Why don't you have a Ranch Hand Grill guard? I think it would have saved your the $500 deductible @ about $400. Anyway, glad all everyone is O.K. F@&? Bambi !! I got a good Road Kill Recipe Book if you need it.

txguppy

IndigoDually
11-05-2002, 07:43
Make that D-Max 2 - Bambi 0. I got one two weeks ago. Turned around and ran clear across the road to get in front of me. He'll never do that again. Kennedy headlights helped and I was on the brakes and only going 15 mph or so. No damage except for a bent front license plate and some deer sh#t on the bumper. Must have scared it out of him. The plow frame saved the air dam.

John

c5dura
11-05-2002, 07:45
Sorry to hear that Searay. Glad everyone is okay. My truck is still in the shop from a deer episode a few weeks ago.

I also had to pay a $500 deductable even though I was not in a collision and it was an act of God.

gardnerteam
11-05-2002, 08:05
Most of the people who hit deer would have no damage, no injuries, and no insurance claim if they would replace the aluminum foil bumper GM provides with a real bumper. Two guys can make a shiny chrome and black pretzel out of the GM bumper with no strain. I have hit an average of 4 deer a year for the last several years while driving at night, some at very high speeds, and have yet to have any vehicle damage. I do not like hitting deer, but I hate being disabled in the middle of nowhere or having any type of a insurance claim which will lead to higher premiums just because a herd of deer decide to bolt across the road in front of me. Strong bumpers will reduce your driving costs if you drive in deer areas. Elk, horses, and cows are very different, but they rarely bolt onto highways and a great set of lights will pick them up at a long distance.

Silver Bullet
11-05-2002, 13:01
2 words...Ranch Hand

I agree with txguppy. I have been thinking about it, but it is on the back burner for the time.

Diverguy
11-05-2002, 13:42
Searay90;
I realize that stating this maybe too late but for what it is worth when dealing with insurance companies the moose/elk/deer hit you not the other way around. The critter was negligent because it did not display due care and attention when crossing the road...
Lovely insurance system you have there in the great state of Texas. Sort of similiar to the three strikes law with regards to criminal matters. Based upon that system I'm surprised your insurance carrier didn't try to have you blacklisted. Makes you wonder at times what's the point of paying for auto insurance.

Searay90
11-05-2002, 19:02
Diverguy,

I was "black listed" by the insurance company's back then. The only saving grace was that I was in the process of getting married, so I got my wife to put me on her insurance. But I had to sell my 88 Mustang 5.0, and buy an Ford Aerostar minivan (bigest POS I have ever owned, and last ford i will ever own) Haven't had so much as a parking ticket since then and am now on state farms "best" policy.

My agent said this is a no fault and will be put under my comprehensive coverage. But I told her and the claims agent that called later the same thing. I did not hit the deer, the stupid thing hit ME!! I said it should fall under my uninsured motorist coverage. They didn't think that was very funny.

I took off the radiator support cover this evening to get a look at the intercooler. Some of the plastic brackets that hold the grill in place are rubbing against the intercooler. The area where the bumper is attached to the frame has been pushed back about 1/2 inch, and thats pretty thick metal!

The adjuster better be in the mood to work with a "nit picker" tomorrow, because it WILL be fixed to my satisfaction! And yes I AM a perfectionist when it comes to my vehicles!

I am going to look into a ranch hand bumper, but does it attach to the existing mounts, or is it like a good class IV hitch and mount to the frame rail itself??

Bambies sister jumped out in front of me on another road about 4 weeks ago, but I was only going 30mph so I was able to stop. The thing just stood there in the middle of the road until I blew the horn. I think these animals are as dumb as cows!

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Searay90 ]</p>

Searay90
11-05-2002, 19:52
OK, I looked at the website for ranch hand bumper replacements and I like what I see. Now for the big question..... What do one of thes cost?? They have a store within 30 miles of me, so shipping will not be an issue.

txguppy
11-06-2002, 13:15
Searay, give'em a call @ 830.249.5600 in Boerne. They will fix you up.. The full replacement bumper was aroung $800-900 I think. The HD Grill Guard around $400. Be sure to ask if they have any "Blims" These ONLY have cosmetic flaws NOT structural. My Dad and I each got grill guards, and have yet found any visable flaws. If there is visable rust, you might ask to get it sprayed w/ Line-X. These turn out excellent and NO road dings or future rust.

txguppy

SaltH2OFisherman
11-06-2002, 14:05
Searay, I don't know where you live in TX, but check this website out: http://www.southwestfabricators.com/
I have used these people on every truck I owned. I now live in the Houston area and will drive to Junction for the savings. Their most expensive bumper is $600.00. If you go to them and have it installed it cost around $40.00. It bolts on to the frame and for more strength they will weld it on if you like. I have the 205C-HD01 on mine. I have not hit a deer with this one, but I have hit two with other bumpers and totaled a ricer with another one. Nothing happened to the truck with all three things. Well almost nothing, I had some red paint on the bumper after totaling the car. These are good people and worth looking into their product. Give them a call there might be a dealer near you.

Searay90
11-07-2002, 21:49
Could any of you guys that have had to replace the black bumper cover on your truck please provide me with the corret part number for this part.

PN 12477935 has a smooth black finish and not the textured finish of the original bumper cover. And it was already scratched when I pulled it out of the box.

Thanks,

Harry