PDA

View Full Version : Juice Question

dschroeder
07-25-2002, 06:18
I feel kind of stupid for asking this but, my question is what, if any, difference is there between the BD Ez-amp box and the Edge Juice box? I have talked to a local guy here in Ohio about getting juiced up and he talked like there are two products that are basically the same but by different manufacturers. Has this guy been sucking the fumes from his tail pipe too much or not? Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

Kennedy
07-25-2002, 07:33
That would be same mfr. but different vendors.

Plasticfantastic
07-25-2002, 08:18
I can recommend a better guy to buy from. You wouldn't have to worry if he was giving you the straight scoop or not. As a matter of fact my guy just gave you the straight scoop... :D

Lawnboy
07-25-2002, 11:22
I have a question about the Juice.
I don't even have a truck yet (was hoping for an '03, but they went and made the grill and bumper ugly!) but want to learn a lot about everything before hand.

Anyway....

I see a lot of posts about level confirmation, setting levels in T/H, and all that jazz.
1) Do you need to set a level EVERY time you start the truck?
2) If you set a lesser level in T/H does that mean every time you switch to T/H, you drop down to that level?
3) What is this confirmation thing all about? Dash lights flashing, or something?
4) Can you just un hook it and plug back the OEM way for dealer visits? Can they tell with Tech II?

Thanks, as I'm just curious. Sounds neat. Where esle can you get almost 100hp without even turning a wrench?!!

Blacktruck-1
07-25-2002, 11:59
Lawnboy
1-no
2-yes
3-early versions light flashes--late versions engine revs, light flashes?
4-I did and they couldn't

These are personal experiences. Others may have more accurate information. And after having sunk countless thousands of dollars in gassers for a lot less power it seems to me to be the most power per dollar with the least effort i've ever seen. :D

Lawnboy
07-25-2002, 12:08
So,....
What ever power level you shut the truck off in, it will be in when your restart it tomorrow? Right?

If your Drag racing, wouldn't you want the most power (level 4) in T/H? This way you get higher revs/gear.

If your towing, yes, I can see leaving it in level 1 or 2 for T/H, and keeping level 4 for non-T/H.

Now if they could just come up with a small box with a little dial switch....OFF.....1....2....3.....FULL. Thats what needs to be invented.

Thanks for the reply!

schnier
07-25-2002, 12:26
Now if they could just come up with a small box with a little dial switch....OFF.....1....2....3.....FULL. Thats what needs to be invented.
I second that.

Kennedy
07-25-2002, 13:17
The beauty of the current setup is that it is a simple, 1 handed (this was asked before) 5 minute installation w/o any need to go into the cab where things would/should be permanently mounted, likely easily visible, AND available for anyone (kids) to futz with...

matt-max
07-25-2002, 13:31
the installation could not be any easier. as long as the engine bay is reasonably cool it takes 5 minutes the first time if you stop for a couple breaks.

the changing of settings is no where near as simple as on the van aaken box and demands that you stop the vehicle and shut it off to change the settings.

as mentioned above, if you are towing, set it in level 2 for tow/haul. if you are racing or just generally f'ing about set it in level 4 for tow/haul and enjoy the faster shifts and higher revs.

i used to run level 4 for normal and level 2 for tow/haul but hated the way time between shifts as the allison lazily changed gears when i was hotdogging it. no bull, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts take longer than the time you spend in either gear under a full throttle power-brake launch.

lately i have been running level 2 in normal and level 4 for tow/haul. this does allow quicker acceleration and is much more enjoyable when you need it but makes towing a drag as you don't have the engine braking available without playing with the t/h button. which is what i have been doing.

keep in mind, my truck is my daily driver as well as used in my business (landscaping/grounds maintenance) i may have three different trailers on in any one day towing from 3000# to #15000 on short hauls.

if you are towing a travel trailer, boat, gooseneck, etc across the country you won't need to be worrying about changing the settings.

edge is definitely missing it by not allowing some sort of easy way to change power settings on the fly.

Forced Induction
07-25-2002, 17:36
Matt,
I agree with you completely about the BIG delay in shifting with normal mode on level 4. I just got Juiced and finally got the truck to accept level 4 in normal, which was a pain. The limited time driving it so far, I hate it. It feels like the trans is slipping or something , even though it isn't. Level 4 in T/H isn't too bad like you said. Is it better on level 3 (60hp) in normal or are the shifts just as bad?? Do the shifts get better over time?? Is this the price for power in a diesel?? :(
I'm going to put a few miles on sometime this century if I can ever get out of work to drive the thing, and see how she adapts to the power over time!! Other than complaining about the juice, I do like the new power and will drag it as soon as possible to see what it really did.

J.A.

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-25-2002, 20:44
Forced Induction,

I got "Juiced" last Friday. It was dissapointing to see the Allison Back off during full throttle shifts. I fast learned her and then to quote another DP Member "I drove it like I stole it"!!!!

Withing 10-15 miles she settled right down and is shifting awesome. Just like I would expect a truck to shift, really firm and quick!!!

Fast Learn is throwing her into Low at 50-60 mph and coasting - no brakes - to a complete ( well almost ) stop. Then do it 2 more times, FAST LEARN!!!!!

Try it, it works.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU,

GMC :D :D :D

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

tpitt
07-25-2002, 22:51
According to Brian at BD. (Quoted from BDS' G.M.C. forum)
"The EZ Amp and the juice are not the same, they are handled through different marketing, distribution, and warranty service."

"Edge does manufacture both products, but each have different series of serial numbers and different software. BD does not warrant the Juice product."

I purchased my EZ amp through BD, but Aaron reprogrammed it. I am completely happy with my EZ Amp, "juice" or what ever it is. tpitt

matt-max
07-26-2002, 12:10
honestly, i have not tried settings 1 or 3 in the couple months or so i've had the unit hooked up.

i guess i didn't really see the point in them existing, really. and changing levels is enough of a pain in the ass/impossibility depending upon which version you have i figure i'll leave well enough alone.

hell, i'd have it on 4 and 4 if towing with it was okay. i do have 4" exhaust (thanks to mr kennedy) and k&n intake kit so i'd imagine that will help out with the spool up as well as keeping the egt's down.

but i have not purcahsed gauges yet, i'm waiting for a build date on my 2003 first.

i have done the fast learn thing a few times and have not noticed an improvement in shift time. but i have not stayed off the brakes to let it coast to a stop either.

i guess i'll give that a shot or call my buddy who is an allison field engineer on our trannies and see what he says on this issue.

different software on the bd ezamp? i wonder how different? doesn't sound likely to me...having two different softwares plus all the different versions would make for a seemingly needless amount of variations.